Heljan announce re-tooled Class 86 in OO

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, 97406 said:

No need to despair, here’s the thread, and it’s just the sort of kitbash that I like doing 

Thanks but ive converted my own twice times already, about to do my third… when 85’s were c£85 I’d buy an electric blue one and boneyard it for the roof and the chassis on a trix body… then sell on the spare pantograph.

i’m also looking at doing a HO 81 from the Atlas model, probably using a US GP series for the chassis.

Useful tip there about the lifting lugs from a 26 though and an interesting route to go converting the Bachmann body itself.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

I ordered 86404 which arrived (very quickly from Hattons) , damage free. I think it must be the most difficult loco i have to seperate the body from the chassis and despite reading the instructions i still was not careful enough with the undercarriage and managed to snap off two items! One a small box is simple enough to refit but the other piece i'm not so sure which way it goes. Hopefully you can see in the attached image the broken piece. It has like a tooth brush at one end and a small box at the other. It doesn't show up well in photos i've checked but from drawings in Power of the AC Electrics I think it goes the opposite way round to how it is in my photo but if someone could confirm that would be great.

20220207_145358_mfnr.jpg.a346c922283dd7ba76f6d2e61b6c24dd.jpg

Could someone also tell what this is and where it goes and also the two small yellow pieces that come in a bag with couplings ?

20220207_145632_mfnr.jpg.0de09704d20da34e5e261678301c6078.jpg

Apart from trying to get into the loco, i'm happy with it. Hauled an eight coach train up the sweeping curves of my 1 in 50 gradient with ease.

Edited by WolfofBadenoch
Added photos back in.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, WolfofBadenoch said:

I ordered 86404 which arrived (very quickly from Hattons) , damage free. I think it must be the most difficult loco i have to seperate the body from the chassis and despite reading the instructions i still was not careful enough with the undercarriage and managed to snap off two items! One a small box is simple enough to refit but the other piece i'm not so sure which way it goes. Hopefully you can see in the attached image the broken piece. It has like a tooth brush at one end and a small box at the other. It doesn't show up well in photos i've checked but from drawings in Power of the AC Electrics I think it goes the opposite way round to how it is in my photo but if someone could confirm that would be great.20220207_145358_mfnr.jpg.0f8fd929f8041c24215c74d3890f1798.jpg

Could someone also tell what his is and where it goes and also the two small yellow pieces that come in a bag with couplings ?

20220207_145632_mfnr.jpg.c19c26dbeca7e8f79218fb4ab881c57c.jpg

Apart from trying to get into the loco, i'm happy with it. Hauled an eight coach train up the sweeping curves of my 1 in 50 gradient with ease.

The toothbrush goes to the left as per the pic. Use epoxy. The yellow bits are lamp brackets that need a hole drilling in the front just to the left of the driver's side tail lamp as you look at the front. Check a photo of the real thing. The grey piece is fitted to the Faively pantograph versions. I think it is the thing that raises the pan in real life, but someone may correct me on this.

20220211_120351.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WolfofBadenoch said:

I ordered 86404 which arrived (very quickly from Hattons) , damage free. I think it must be the most difficult loco i have to seperate the body from the chassis and despite reading the instructions i still was not careful enough with the undercarriage and managed to snap off two items! One a small box is simple enough to refit but the other piece i'm not so sure which way it goes. Hopefully you can see in the attached image the broken piece. It has like a tooth brush at one end and a small box at the other. It doesn't show up well in photos i've checked but from drawings in Power of the AC Electrics I think it goes the opposite way round to how it is in my photo but if someone could confirm that would be great.20220207_145358_mfnr.jpg.0f8fd929f8041c24215c74d3890f1798.jpg

Could someone also tell what his is and where it goes and also the two small yellow pieces that come in a bag with couplings ?

20220207_145632_mfnr.jpg.c19c26dbeca7e8f79218fb4ab881c57c.jpg

I didn’t find that - I wonder if

individual Models differ in tightness? I found a small Screwdriver into the designated slot and then twist to lift the body side off the chassis then slide a cocktail stick in before repeat at each of other 3 Recesses and the body slid off. Personally I found that Heljan designing in a wee recess made Life much easier than some where you have to guess where body clips are

• RMweb Premium

Glad im not the only person snapping off loco bits trying to fit decoders. Its heartbreaking on a new model. Come up with a better design guys, its 2022 (insert applicable year they still haven't resolved).

Was pleased when my 86 landed today, but rather less so when I got the box open...

Has anyone else had this? The paint on the headcode box looks a little thin anyway so I'm tempted to try a touch of filler rather than posting it back across the pond.

20220211_194659.jpg.362883d74ec307af98d78da267059ccd.jpg

7 hours ago, Ragtag said:

Was pleased when my 86 landed today, but rather less so when I got the box open...

Has anyone else had this? The paint on the headcode box looks a little thin anyway so I'm tempted to try a touch of filler rather than posting it back across the pond.

20220211_194659.jpg.362883d74ec307af98d78da267059ccd.jpg

Not quite as bad as that but a few of mine looked like they had been cut from a fret and some black plastic showing there and diagonally opposite at bottom. 

• RMweb Gold
On 12/02/2022 at 08:03, Matt said:

I wonder if Heljan have an option to produce without lower door handle in future runs?

I filled them in with Milliput on one of mine.

I guess the tooling will have swappable parts for the fronts and doors. Ben has mentioned a run of 86/3s at some point, so the tooling should revert to the single handled cab doors again. It does make the error with the cab gutters more difficult to understand.

DSCF0378.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, 97406 said:

The toothbrush goes to the left as per the pic. Use epoxy. The yellow bits are lamp brackets that need a hole drilling in the front just to the left of the driver's side tail lamp as you look at the front. Check a photo of the real thing. The grey piece is fitted to the Faively pantograph versions. I think it is the thing that raises the pan in real life, but someone may correct me on this.

Thanks for all the info. I wont need the grey piece then and the lampbrackets will go on the list of non-essential things to do. Looking at photos up to 1988 i notice that 86/0, 86/3 and 86/2s didn't have lamp brackets. I presume they were fitted when converted to 86/4s? Anybody wishing to model 86438 might like to note the lamp bracket is on the opposite side, i presume because as 86038 it had a round headlight fitted in the usual place for the lamp bracket - once 86438 there is a circular plate where the old headlight had been.

16 hours ago, Matt said:

I didn’t find that - I wonder if

individual Models differ in tightness? I found a small Screwdriver into the designated slot and then twist to lift the body side off the chassis then slide a cocktail stick in before repeat at each of other 3 Recesses and the body slid off. Personally I found that Heljan designing in a wee recess made Life much easier than some where you have to guess where body clips are

There probably is some difference between models but during my struggles i consulted You Tube and in the 2 videos i watched (Roads+Rails and Jenny Kirk), neither seemed to find it totally straightforward to remove the body, but they at least gave me the confidence i was on the right road. I had 4 cardboard shims jammed up between body and chassis at each recess and i still struggled to work the body off.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Matt said:

Don’t try and fit a decoder to a Hattons 66 then…. Even after 14 fittings I was

still breaking bits off.

How? I got it first time by following Hattons guide and using bits of card to move the handrail details away from the body. 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, WolfofBadenoch said:

Thanks for all the info. I wont need the grey piece then and the lampbrackets will go on the list of non-essential things to do. Looking at photos up to 1988 i notice that 86/0, 86/3 and 86/2s didn't have lamp brackets. I presume they were fitted when converted to 86/4s? Anybody wishing to model 86438 might like to note the lamp bracket is on the opposite side, i presume because as 86038 it had a round headlight fitted in the usual place for the lamp bracket - once 86438 there is a circular plate where the old headlight had been.

A lot of 86s, especially the 86/2s had a lamp bracket above each buffer. The Heljan 86/0 has them, though they are barely visible. I keep umming and aahing whether to add them to my 86/2s, though they’re fiddly, and prone to falling off. I wonder if Doncaster went for one arrangement of lamp brackets and Vulcan the other?

Edited by 97406

5 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

How? I got it first time by following Hattons guide and using bits of card to move the handrail details away from the body. 

It was the small lower body side pipes on mine which didn’t seem well attached and at least 1 pinged away on almost every model. Anyway my point was that i found the H86 way easier to remove the body than the Hattons 66 but accept others experiences may have been different.

Does anyone know if any of the 86/0's had jumper cables fitted to the cab front and retained the black letter/numerical headcode box. Only loco pics I can find have the cables and yellow plated box (86018, 86033, 86035).

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RBC said:

Does anyone know if any of the 86/0's had jumper cables fitted to the cab front and retained the black letter/numerical headcode box. Only loco pics I can find have the cables and yellow plated box (86018, 86033, 86035).

Yes there were a few. MU fitting started in about 1976, and headocde panelling over around 1979.

86002, 86020, 86033 definitely did, there will be others. 86032 had blanking plates for MU fitting whilst retaining headcode

25 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Yes there were a few. MU fitting started in about 1976, and headocde panelling over around 1979.

86002, 86020, 86033 definitely did, there will be others. 86032 had blanking plates for MU fitting whilst retaining headcode

Brilliant, thanks for that.

Just googled 86002 and first picture was what I'm after.

Goodness why I couldn't find ite.

Next question, do you know where you can buy the relevant MU cables ?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RBC said:

Brilliant, thanks for that.

Just googled 86002 and first picture was what I'm after.

Goodness why I couldn't find ite.

Next question, do you know where you can buy the relevant MU cables ?

No sorry I don't.

86010 was another confirmed.

There may be some others from the group fitted with MW before Nov 1977 - 86001/02*/08/10*/15/17/18/20*/25/33*/35/38