RMweb

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

• RMweb Premium

Currently OMS - the new Mostly Autumn "Go Well Diamond Heart" (limited edition double CD ordered direct from MA Records).

Not quite sure what to make of this - it starts off OK enough with a good strong opener but seems to lose its way in the middle with some rather indifferent material then improves over the last few tracks - on the basis of first listening it comes across as perhaps not quite up to the standard of previous MA albums.

Perhaps it'll sound better the second time around....

Guest dilbert

More of a' themed' approach at the moment :

ELO : TIme (the album)

Pink Floyd : TIme (the track)

Alan Parsons Project : Time (the track)

Simon & Garfunkel : Scarborough Fair (well there is mention of Thyme in the lyrics)

The styles of music are different and yet all evoke nostalgia of more than a few years ago...dilbert

Guest Max Stafford

Tears from the Compound Eye - Boards of Canada.

Marvellous ambient stuff that reminds me of autumn holidays in Glencoe and Lochaber.

So much so that I'm trying to book one for December right now! Beautiful, soulful analogue electronica.

Dave

Yes - "Tales from Topographic Oceans"

Again, because the first two songs are just so good. The early/mid 1970s were such an ostentatious era and Rick Wakeman is a scarily talented man.

Guest Max Stafford

Curiously, I was listening to Topographic in the car yesterday. Utterly pompous and pretentious but enjoyable just the same and one of the first proper albums I got into as a kid.

Dave.

Rick Wakeman is a scarily talented man.

Don't know if you've listened to him on Planet Rock on a Saturday morning. Not only is he scarily talented, he's also very funny. Good way to spend three hours while bashing away at your latest project.

Been listening to Traffic - On The Road, great live album from 1973 featuring Steve Winwood, another highly talented musician.

Curiously, I was listening to Topographic in the car yesterday. Utterly pompous and pretentious but enjoyable just the same and one of the first proper albums I got into as a kid.

I think in a curious way its the pretentiousness of it that appeals to me. They had no shame! It needs repeated playing to appreciate fully though and loses its way somewhat in the second half.

I think in a curious way its the pretentiousness of it that appeals to me. They had no shame! It needs repeated playing to appreciate fully though and loses its way somewhat in the second half.

This was at a time when a number of 'prog' bands seemed in great danger of disappearing up their own *#@!. I remember Jethro Tull brought out 'A Passion Play' around the same time - what was that all about? I was a big Tull fan back then, but despite repeated listenings I just couldn't get into it. Still got the old vinyl somewhere, haven't listened to it for years. Maybe I should dig it out and give it another spin.

This was at a time when a number of 'prog' bands seemed in great danger of disappearing up their own *#@!. I remember Jethro Tull brought out 'A Passion Play' around the same time - what was that all about? I was a big Tull fan back then, but despite repeated listenings I just couldn't get into it. Still got the old vinyl somewhere, haven't listened to it for years. Maybe I should dig it out and give it another spin.

Indeed. King Crimson's Larks' Tongues in Aspic. What a cacophony! The Court of the Crimson King and 20th Century Schizoid Man I can listen to, but Larks' Tongues?

No wonder the punks stripped it back to loud guitars and three minute songs!

Currently OMS - the new Mostly Autumn "Go Well Diamond Heart" (limited edition double CD ordered direct from MA Records).

Not quite sure what to make of this - it starts off OK enough with a good strong opener but seems to lose its way in the middle with some rather indifferent material then improves over the last few tracks - on the basis of first listening it comes across as perhaps not quite up to the standard of previous MA albums.

Perhaps it'll sound better the second time around....

Stick with it, Colin. This is one of those albums which isn't immediate, but does take a few listens to really get in to. It's not perfect (What on earth was Bryan thinking with those awful lyrics for "Something Better"??), but there are some great songs on there. And Olivia Sparnenn is a very talented vocalist.

• RMweb Premium

Stick with it, Colin. This is one of those albums which isn't immediate, but does take a few listens to really get in to. It's not perfect (What on earth was Bryan thinking with those awful lyrics for "Something Better"??), but there are some great songs on there. And Olivia Sparnenn is a very talented vocalist.

I agree about Ms Sparnenn - lovely voice, I just wish she'd sung lead on more of the album! Hopefully "Go well" is a "grower". I'll give it another listen next week when I have a long(ish) car journey.

BTC - with you re. Crimson - I can listen to the first 2 albums plus a bit of the 3rd (Lizard), then it all becomes a bit much - I never understood quite what they were trying to achieve with "Larks Tongues", I found it quite unlistenable.

Also agree re "Passion Play", Rob. I think I've sat through it about twice in 35 years! The early stuff and the mid-70s folky albums are definitely my favourites.

OMS (as I type) - The Strawbs - Ghosts.

• RMweb Premium

Back to "rock'n'roll" for me (well, that's what we used to call it) - Aerosmith's first album. I've had this on vinyl since '74, and CD for a while, but now (upgraded the CD mains cable to silver) the CD sounds on a par with the reissued vinyl (the earlier copy is a bit the worse for wear) - /me feels a cartridge upgrade coming on ;)

ĸen

I agree about Ms Sparnenn - lovely voice, I just wish she'd sung lead on more of the album!

I don't know - she actually sings significantly more lead on the first disk than Heather did on "Glass Shadows". Assume you have heard Breathing Space's two albums?

Hopefully "Go well" is a "grower". I'll give it another listen next week when I have a long(ish) car journey.

It absolutely is - it really hits hard after four or five listens - see the review on my blog

BTC - with you re. Crimson - I can listen to the first 2 albums plus a bit of the 3rd (Lizard), then it all becomes a bit much - I never understood quite what they were trying to achieve with "Larks Tongues", I found it quite unlistenable

"Lark's Tongues" was quite far out, but don't miss the magnificent "Red", one of the best things they ever did.