RMweb

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

On car stereo today - new Mostly Autumn album "Ghost Moon Orchestra" - bit of a departure for them (quite "metal" in places) but good stuff!

If you like female vocalists, MA's Olivia Sparnenn is up there with the best IMHO.

Been listening to this all day today - Move over the likes of Sharon den Adel, you've got some serious competition.

First heard this at the album playback party in York back in May, in the presence of most of the band. Was able to tell Olivia (and her mum!) just how impressed I was with the album, and her singing in particular. The opener "Unquiet Tears" is just amazing.

• RMweb Premium

On car stereo today - new Mostly Autumn album "Ghost Moon Orchestra" - bit of a departure for them (quite "metal" in places) but good stuff!

If you like female vocalists, MA's Olivia Sparnenn is up there with the best IMHO.

I would be, but my copy hasnt arrived yet.

Dave.

No, more of a return for them. The earlier CDs had much more variety of approach from celtic folk through heavy prog to some 'metal' rockers especially Never the Rainbow which was tremendous at live shows with Heather and Andy cavorting and Iain really going for it on keys. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/marotherhamcrs2004/e2985b86d

I am really looking forward to seeing the new stuff played live as GMO certainly has some very interesting tracks.

Paul Bartlett

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mostlyautumn

• RMweb Premium

Thought I'd have a break from Britprog - gave Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band's "Against The Wind" a play.

"No Man's Land" - what a beautiful song.

No, more of a return for them. The earlier CDs had much more variety of approach from celtic folk through heavy prog to some 'metal' rockers especially Never the Rainbow which was tremendous at live shows with Heather and Andy cavorting and Iain really going for it on keys.

I can see where Colin is coming from here - On "Unquiet Tears" and "Wild Eyed Skies" in particular I can hear a strong resemblance to contemporary Scandinavian bands like Nightwish, and it's a quite different feel from the 70s-style hard rock of "Never the Rainbow". Some other songs have a more traditional MA sound, but those two (and also the title track) sound like something of a new direction for them. Olivia Sparnenn co-write all three, which is where I think it's coming from.

• RMweb Premium

I can see where Colin is coming from here - On "Unquiet Tears" and "Wild Eyed Skies" in particular I can hear a strong resemblance to contemporary Scandinavian bands like Nightwish, and it's a quite different feel from the 70s-style hard rock of "Never the Rainbow". Some other songs have a more traditional MA sound, but those two (and also the title track) sound like something of a new direction for them. Olivia Sparnenn co-write all three, which is where I think it's coming from.

I think it's a good thing that MA's sound is changing (although thankfully, they haven't strayed too far) - every band should progress rather than just churn out variations on the same theme. It's nice to hear Iain Jennings getting a couple of keyboard solos in as well - sounds very "classic prog" to me!

Something brought this to mind recently so I looked it up:

It’s got to be the cheesiest song ever! Still, it has a modelling theme. I'd never realised it was written by 2 of the Python team though.

And apart from Mostly Autumn...

Breathing Space - Below the Radar

Rush - Clockwork Angels. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not conviced this is as great an album as everyone else seems to think it is.

Riversea - Out of the Ancient World. So long in the making some of us wondered if it was ever going to appear. But when it did, it was well worth the wait.

Stolen Earth - A Far Cry From Home. Another great York album. Clearly something in the water there.

The Darkness, Permission to Land. After they crashed and burned following an archetypal "difficult second album", I'd forgotten there were quite a few decent tunes on the first one.

Mermaid Kiss - Etarlis. Still a beautiful album from much-underrated band.

Rush - Clockwork Angels. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not convinced this is as great an album as everyone else seems to think it is.

Hmmm... I've just had my first listen and I think I may have to disagree with you Tim. Although it suffers from that "everything on the board must go up to 11" production it's definitely a grower. In the way that some albums need discovering, layer by layer, Clockwork Angels appears to me that it will reward many future listenings.

steve

Taster of the new Marillion album 'Sounds that can't be made'...

Reserving judgement on this one personally. A decent song, but it's not blowing me away. It could just be a slow burner of course, and we can't all like every bit of every album, just seems to be missing that spark. Nothing wrong with it especially, but for me it ain't no Neverland or This Strange Engine... There seem to be quite a few prog fans on here, so it'd be interesting to hear others' views.

• Like 1

Taster of the new Marillion album 'Sounds that can't be made'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aZxKeANsIw

Reserving judgement on this one personally. A decent song, but it's not blowing me away. It could just be a slow burner of course, and we can't all like every bit of every album, just seems to be missing that spark. Nothing wrong with it especially, but for me it ain't no Neverland or This Strange Engine... There seem to be quite a few prog fans on here, so it'd be interesting to hear others' views.

I can't get the choruses out of my head (my sig!). The segment from 4.25 has that classic Marillion sound - some of H's strongest lyrics over those powerful chord progressions. Kerpow! Forget August, roll on September.

Sometimes what you're experiencing happens though, and it takes some time to get down into their music. Happened to me with most of AoS - though I think that was because it rode on the back of Brave. Now AoS is one of my favourite albums.

Edited by Buckjumper
  • Like 2

I'm starting to get there, I think - after a few drinks last night the song made perfect sense! :O To be fair, I never rated 'You're gone' particularly, but still consider Marbles one of the best albums ever written, so what do I know? :D

• RMweb Premium

A relaxing evening accompanied by a bit of Swedish brother/sister electro duo,The Knife

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a8rrHzQ_AE

Followed by a haunting solo from the sister in the band now recording under 'Fever Ray'

With chillingly cold vocals and lashings of synth, Swedish electropop is as niche and as unfashionable as you can get but I love it!!