Mk1 "Griddle" Car

ThaneofFife

• RMweb Premium

Just wondering if based on existing Bachmann Mk1 tooling whether its possible we might see a Griddle Car or would need new tooling?

Were these in service mainly on the ECML or did other route use them too ?

There were 2 diagrams as the 3 new builds differed from the 3 ex-RF conversions (the interior was 'flipped' so the externals were also flipped to suit) There are (iirc) 3 survivors, covering both batches.

The griddles do contain a couple of unique features, including the narrowest window on a Mk1.

In terms of tooling, you're looking at sides, new roof and a bunch of underframe kit - the latter probably already covered with the various Buffets and Restaurants. Double the sides/roof if both diagrams are done (can't really see that happening)

Someone did offer some etched overlays on here and elsewhere a few years ago, but I had no response to repeated requests :(

I did think about drafting some overlays up to run on my Silhouette cutter, but I seem to have misplaced that particular round tuit :(

In terms of usage, ECML certainly and the survivors were later concentrated in Scotland for internal ScR services.

More gen here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=531697

Edited by CloggyDog

Just wondering if based on existing Bachmann Mk1 tooling whether its possible we might see a Griddle Car or would need new tooling?

Were these in service mainly on the ECML or did other route use them too ?

Check out Southern Pride website, it suggests kit is available in Blue/Grey and Maroon.

Although in theory Bachmann could create a Griddle Car by making new sides, roof & interior to fit on to the existing RU underframe, I'm pretty sure they have said in the past no new development of the original Mk1 range which is now approaching 20 years in age. So I think it would have to be completely new tooling such as the sleepers and TPO's. With only 3 cars in each diagram and only maroon and blue/grey liveries, I can't think it would appear a viable project for them. I would certainly buy a couple though!

I believe Replica still have the tooling for that, surprised they haven’t sold it or given it a go.

My guess is Hornby May grab this version as they don’t have a catering mk1 currently.

The problem with Hornby's Mk1s is the lack of close coupling (due to the fact they are basically spanning RR and main ranges), plus moulded pipework. For me this rules them out as useful coaches; a 3ft gap between coaches looks stupid! Or even worse, close coupled Bachmann Mk1s with a huge gap, then a Hornby car, then another gap again!

IMHO Bachmann despirately need to redress some major gaps in their Mk1 range (mainstream Mk1 FO with centre doors!) before they do anything else obscure like a 6-made Griddle car!

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

At this stage given the many many thousands of mk1’s made very few modellers will root out there entire mk1 collections, bought between £12 and £40 over the decades, and dump them on the market at circa £10-15 a piece to replace them enmasse with a new mk1.

Hornbys new mk1 tooling is in my opinion a better shape, tighter and finer than Bachmanns, but has its limits, at the afore mentioned moulded details. Ive bought three rakes because of how well they sit, and all are illuminated (maroon, blue grey and SR).

However to make space my only sacrifice was Hachette mk1’s.

So if someone made a high spec mk1, that was £80+ a piece with all the details, at this stage i’d probably pass on it. BUt if someone made a new diagram mk1 that fitted my rakes I certainly wiuld buy it, FO and BSO are case in point examples.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

The problem with Hornby's Mk1s is the lack of close coupling (due to the fact they are basically spanning RR and main ranges), plus moulded pipework. For me this rules them out as useful coaches; a 3ft gap between coaches looks stupid! Or even worse, close coupled Bachmann Mk1s with a huge gap, then a Hornby car, then another gap again!

IMHO Bachmann despirately need to redress some major gaps in their Mk1 range (mainstream Mk1 FO with centre doors!) before they do anything else obscure like a 6-made Griddle car!

At this stage given the many many thousands of mk1’s made very few modellers will root out there entire mk1 collections, bought between £12 and £40 over the decades, and dump them on the market at circa £10-15 a piece to replace them enmasse with a new mk1.

Hornbys new mk1 tooling is in my opinion a better shape, tighter and finer than Bachmanns, but has its limits, at the afore mentioned moulded details. Ive bought three rakes because of how well they sit, and all are illuminated (maroon, blue grey and SR).

However to make space my only sacrifice was Hachette mk1’s.

So if someone made a high spec mk1, that was £80+ a piece with all the details, at this stage i’d probably pass on it. BUt if someone made a new diagram mk1 that fitted my rakes I certainly wiuld buy it, FO and BSO are case in point examples.

Bachmann hasn't really done anything with its MK1 range recently, except the Sleeper, and even with that they haven't produced a composite which in some ways would be more useful and would not require new tooling. Hornby has now stepped in and produced the centre door FO and the BSO, which were the most obvious low-hanging fruit, which are good enough for most people and so Bachmann would be taking a huge risk if they duplicated them. The RBR/RB would be a logical choice for Hornby so they have a common enough catering coach in their Mk1 range that doesn't duplicate Bachmann. Whilst I would prefer it from Bachmann so it matches my other Mk1s, unfortunately I cannot see it coming from them any time soon as they already have two Mk1 catering vehicles in their range.

In some ways if Bachmann is thinking about new coaches, I would prefer the Mk2b/c.

• 1 year later...