Bachmann 37884 32-393DS Sound decoder

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

(Apologies if this should be in the DCC sound section)

Can anyone confirm which type of sound decoder is in this loco please?

Is it a Loksound Select or a full-fat V4?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Cheers,

Mick

It's very likely to be a SELECT  - all recent sound fitted Bachmann models are so fitted...........

Cheers,

Mick

Hey Mick

The instruction leaflet contained in the packaging says Loksound Select.

It sounds great to me, 3 different start sequences, 2 horns, drive hold, loco brake, coasting......nice

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MickkyL said:

If it is a loksound select, is it possible to have it reblown or not ?

I think you can only load ESU Select files onto a Select decoder.

So only limited to those avaialable via the ESU website.

There are some UK models with Selects fitted (some Bachmann 37s and possibly early releases of the Realtrack 156, but I guess they were supplied direct from ESU via suitable "arrangements" with Bachmann and Realtrack)

Happy to be informed otherwise.

(I've reblown a couple using their US Select soundfiles)

• RMweb Gold

Correct a select can be reblown with select projects only, of which there are a selection on the esu website, but very few if any are british.

Its not possible for the general public to create there own select projects.

• Like 1

On 03/06/2020 at 23:18, newbryford said:

There are some UK models with Selects fitted (some Bachmann 37s and possibly early releases of the Realtrack 156, but I guess they were supplied direct from ESU via suitable "arrangements" with Bachmann and Realtrack)

Isn't all new Bachmann stuff with Selects nowadays? I have a 37 (as you mention) and a 20 (NRM D8000) and they are both Selects, although I aren't sure of the origin of the 20 chip as I didn't buy it new, might not even be fore a 20 for all I know :laugh_mini:

20 minutes ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

latest sound fitted class 20 (20156) has a Loksound 5 DCC- which is not a Select. 

Sorry, I missed that one. I didn't know 20156 was the latest one but the V5 should have given me a big enough hint it is recent!

I thought I had read on here they were all Selects nowadays but obviously its not the case.

Why does it vary?

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Sorry, I missed that one. I didn't know 20156 was the latest one but the V5 should have given me a big enough hint it is recent!

I thought I had read on here they were all Selects nowadays but obviously its not the case.

Why does it vary?

Keep up at the back

The 158 uses a Zimo.

The answer to your question lies with Bachmann.

Edited by newbryford

15 minutes ago, newbryford said:

The 158 uses a Zimo

In that case I wonder if their allegiances are changing? The official decoder for the 90 is a Zimo too, although at the time ESU didn't have a non-sound servo option.

Probably just politics and costing as Eddie said.

I just purchased a Bachmann 03 with sound and that has a Zimo  chip as well.

A while back I got a Class 55 deltic with a select and must say that it is the worst sounding deltic I have ever heard even the 3.5 ESU version in St Paddy from years ago sounded much much better.

vowed I would never purchase a Bachmann with pre fitted sound again but relented and  am very pleased with the 03, just need to fit a stay alive.

• RMweb Gold

they seem to have upped there game with. factory. fit stuff, while the 158 is a little on the quiet side it uses a well known limo sound developers sound project, the class 101 despite being a select has a very good sound project as well.

44 minutes ago, pheaton said:

they seem to have upped there game with. factory. fit stuff, while the 158 is a little on the quiet side it uses a well known limo sound developers sound project, the class 101 despite being a select has a very good sound project as well.

Well and it's also good how speakers fitted as standard seems to be becoming the norm too. The 90, 158 and 101 all have them in I think?

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, pheaton said:

yeah i have no experience with the 90 but the 158s speaker is a little inadequate, the 101s speaker is ok, and its very loud though

At least if manufacturers are willing to go to the trouble of fitting them as standard it's a big stepping stone to fitting adequate ones!

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, pheaton said:

yeah i have no experience with the 90 but the 158s speaker is a little inadequate, the 101s speaker is ok, and its very loud though

Agreed - swapped out for one from Richard Croft (Roads and Rails)

10 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

At least if manufacturers are willing to go to the trouble of fitting them as standard it's a big stepping stone to fitting adequate ones!

It's not always the  speaker quality that is inadequate, but the installation of the factory fitted items.

Problem is - bad sound - from speaker or installation - will only serve to put people off buying sound.

2 minutes ago, newbryford said:

It's not always the  speaker quality that is inadequate, but the installation of the factory fitted items.

Problem is - bad sound - from speaker or installation - will only serve to put people off buying sound.

Good point. As you say sound should be good and the sound fitted install should be good enough to justify the expense.

I was more referring to the fitment of speakers in DCC ready locos so it's plug and play (something they don't have to do and is a good feature IMO), but the actual installation of said speaker would be the same on both and therefore should be good from the off as you say!

Hopefully the manufacturers are at least getting to the point when tooling new stuff of making a point of putting in a decent speaker enclosure, not sure if this is the case though in all new stuff.

14 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I agree. I bought 2 Bachmann 90s & fitted sound decoders to both.

They sounded very different. If I only has the bad one, I would have assumed it was a poor quality speaker. I sounded weak & thin, but the good one suggested it was because the encosure had not been sealed correctly.

The bad was has now been repaired & both sound good. The 90 is not really a demanding loco regarding the sounds it makes.

As for the Loksound Select, Charlie Petty explained it to me while ago (so I have forgotten some points).

The market four sound decoders is a lot bigger in the US with about 6 manufacturers instead of the 2 main ones for the UK (discounting Hornby whose target is a different market).

The Select is aimed for manufacturers only, requiring the files to be formatted differently so a Lokprogrammer cannot be used. So technically, they can be re-blown, but it is not possible to create a project to do so. They therefore have to be sent away for formatting. Unless you are a manufacturer, this will be refused. Other than that, the specs are the same as for a Loksound v4.

This leaves UK modellers with a decoder which can be re-blown but there are only US projects available.

Thinks may have improved but factory-fitted sound projects/installations have sometimes been somewhat underwhelming.

I am not aware of a v5 Select, so maybe the competition in the US has changed things & factory fitted models can now be re-blown?

I am very wary of buying a sound-fitted model, or even a DCC fitted one. They may not always be the bargain they seem.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

sound-fitted model, or even a DCC fitted one. They may not always be the bargain they seem.

I don't buy DCC fitted as I am a bit of a snob with decoders. I like ESU so that's what I buy.

DCC sound, I have a 37 and a 20, both Bachmann. The 37 I have upgraded the speaker on and I am happy enough with it although in hindsight I maybe wouldn't have bothered, it was £80 dearer than DC so not terrible, I effectively paid about £55 for sound accounting for me wanting to put a LokPilot V4 in it if I hadn't got sound. The 20 the sound was a bonus (it wasn't in the listing) and so I aren't complaining!

But, in the case of some DCC sound fitted I think if sound is your thing you'd be mad not to. Accurascale are charging £90 extra for sound using a Loksound V5. As far as I am aware £90 is about the cost of a Loksound V5 before anybody has put a speaker in the loco or a program on the decoder. Basically if its not a lot of cop you're no worse off, and given what the Deltic one sounds like I don't think that will be the case. In the case of the 92 you'd need a decent decoder to run the pantographs anyway (ESU LPV5 will definitely work, not sure about Zimo).

The Hattons 66 (when sound is available) is £115 more with a LSV5 and what is supposedly a decent speaker with what is by all accounts an excellent sound file from Legomanbiffo. I'd expect the £115 to be less than the sum of the parts too.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I don't buy DCC fitted as I am a bit of a snob with decoders. I like ESU so that's what I buy.

The Hattons 66 (when sound is available) is £115 more with a LSV5 and what is supposedly a decent speaker with what is by all accounts an excellent sound file from Legomanbiffo. I'd expect the £115 to be less than the sum of the parts too.

I completely agree.

My only DCC fittet loco was a Hornby Stanier tank. I had not been using DCC very long & their old dodgy decoder had been discontinued for years so it wouldn't possibly be in there would it? -- Wrong!

It worked fine on my Select but once I bought the Powercab, it would only move in 1 direction.

Having tried a few different decoders, both Bachmann ones ignored CV3 & shoot off at the speed set on the throttle, although they decelerate as programmed. They are now controlling lighting in my Mk3B DVTs.

Sound is similar. Some of the earlier offerings were not so well featured. I can accept that because things progress. After-market sound projects & more importantly, speakers seem to have progressed better than factory-fitted so I would rather buy a DC model & fit something which has worked for me in the past.

There are exceptions & you have mentioned 1 of them: Hattons 66. Hattons were open about the development of this, so I knew what speaker & project was going to be fitted a year before the model was released, so I was happy to buy a pre-fitted one.

This uses a Legomanbiffo project. I have other locos with Biff's projects & am happy with them.

If I could choose a speaker for it, I would probably go for an EM2. Hattons "Rail Rumble" is their name for a speaker also sold by DC Kits with another name... EM2!

• Like 1