Bicycles!

Wonderful!

I’m not sure what the best thing about that film is, but wouldn’t it be great if (a) rural roads were still as cycling friendly, (b) it was still possible to turn up at s station, and put your bike in the van of a slow steam train?

Provided that one didn’t have to dress like that!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The only time i remember something similar was I think in Lewes where a motor luggage van had been added to the EMU to give more capacity for cycles. Possibly at the end of the London to Brighton cycle run. And what was that coach in some of he early shots at Watford Junction? Certainly not a Mk 1!

I used to tour a lot but never with groups. As you said, the roads were much quieter then. Now you need to be in the back lanes of Mid Wales to find such quite thoroughfares. fortunately that is where I am.

Thanks for posting.

Jonathan

• Like 1

My first holiday without my parents was in August 1976 when I and a friend did an East Midlands Railrover; We took our bikes with us (to access remote depots) and had no problem taking them on any train, or indeed at Doncaster station where we spent alternate nights (to save paying for Youth Hostels !) Sadly such a holiday would be impossible today due to the hassle of taking bikes on trains (plus of course most if not all of the installations we cycled to are long gone).

However, to be fair, I took my bike on various Scotrail trains in Strathclyde this summer and had no trouble, although I was careful to avoid the peak hours.

• Like 1