Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Train Sim screenshots

LU_fan

Did a (very) quick search and didn't find anything like this on the forum. Don't know how many members on here play TS, or if there is any interest in this type of thread. But, it's worth a try, no? Anyone who feels like it, feel free to add your own screenshots.

My first contribution took a little while to set up, using the scenario editor. LNER 91119 and GWR 43185 meeting up at King's Cross, based on a Twitter conversation between GWR and LNER possibly arranging a "date" between the two, albeit at Paddington. Personally, I thought King's Cross would make a more logical choice as both types operate from there.

post-15349-0-78754400-1545255793_thumb.jpg

Edited by LU_fan
  • Like 5

There is a thriving train simulator based thread on here, but it's slightly tucked away in the pre-grouping section of the forum and much of the content there is for Trainz, though I fly the flag for TS20xx in there occasionally.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131654-virtual-pre-grouping/

I'm also to be found on the UKtrainsim and Dovetail forums (same username) and also on Steam (same username again).

In the meantime here's a screenshot from me:

post-33498-0-62973600-1543205046_thumb.j

• Like 4

Well, ok, I did find the thread in the pre-grouping forum, though I didn't actually open it. But that's pretty... Well, limited, for the lack of a better word. Isn't it? Just pre-grouping. What I had in mind, and was looking for, was a general screenshot thread where any era is allowed. I know most of what I run wouldn't be allowed in there anyway.

That said, thank you for your contribution! That is a lovely shot. :)

Edited by LU_fan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There are various graphical irritations I have with Train Sim, just look at the sharp edge of the ballast in the photo above. The trains look superb, but much of the scenery and track is actually pretty poor IMO. Some routes are definitely better than others it must be said.

The 91/HST shot is excellent though, I like that. the track is still much less detailed than the stock, but I guess that’s to be expected.

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Premium

Presumably the original “Microsoft Train Simulator”, which was certainly far more basic. Even within the new one you can really tell the older routes - the ECML one it came bundled with ages ago looks really dated compared to something like WCML Trent Valley.

Edit: too slow, shouldn’t leave the posting window open on my phone for ages before submitting!

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Premium

They iterate each year - so it’s now TS2019. They change the routes and stock it comes with by default each year, but you can go back and buy any additional ones you like. You’ve no actual choice - you can’t decide that the routes included with TS2016 suited you better. Steam have regular sales, so never pay full price for content, it’s often 50-75% off.

You can run on a pretty modest computer, but frame rates will suffer on more detailed routes and/or if you’ve got lots of traffic moving, and load times can be painful. Tweaking settings helps - dynamic lighting makes everything look pretty but hoovers up performance. What spec have you got? I was running on a laptop with inbuilt graphics, 2.4GHz i3 processor, 8GB RAM and a standard HDD, ie nothing special. Now moved to a desktop with GTX 1050 graphics card, 3.6GHz processor, SSD and 16GB of RAM and everything loads far quicker, looks far better and runs much smoother whilst still being a pretty basic machine. Graphics card makes the biggest difference by far. Stream handles remote streaming really well, so I actually still play on the laptop on the sofa, but remotely accessing the desktop in the garage.

Edited by njee20

I believe if you get an older boxed version, once installed the base software updates to 2019 and you get a different variety of included content, depending which year you buy. If had it since railworks days and have updated via steam ever since, free of charge to the current game you. You won't get each years content, but may be a cheaper route to owning.

Anyone confirm please?

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

• RMweb Premium

If you can find a boxed copy then yes, you get any assets added each year, but no additional content. I’m not sure you’ll find all that many boxed copies. I’ve also had it since it was called Railworks and came bundled with the GWML among other routes.

Cheaper is hard to say - depends on sales etc. Right now TS2019 is £16.24, which is pretty bloody cheap. The “UK Edition” which includes the Woodhead route additionally is £21.74. You get Waterloo - Portsmouth bundled with TS2019, plus a couple of US routes and a German one IIRC. .

There is Train Sim World which is a whole new platform, but new content has been slow to come, I understand that really does need some fairly meaty processing power, but does look stunning if you’ve got the kit. I understand it’s a bit more ‘immersive ’ than Train Simulator, which is quite linear - pick your route, choose the scenario, drive it, finish. I think TSW is more about working a whole schedule, marshalling the train, visiting the fuel point etc etc.

Hi all,

Well I have just reinstalled TS2019 3 times now. And it keeps crashing out with a variety of messages why. I am using Win 7 which is fully updated. The latest WHQL Nvidea drivers. Not very happy as I treated my self to £50.00 of addons for Christmas. I know the 64 bit version is having problems. But I am using the 32 bit install. Any one having the same problems. All my addons are through the steam store as is my instillation of TS2019.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Well I have just reinstalled TS2019 3 times now. And it keeps crashing out with a variety of messages why. I am using Win 7 which is fully updated. The latest WHQL Nvidea drivers. Not very happy as I treated my self to £50.00 of addons for Christmas. I know the 64 bit version is having problems. But I am using the 32 bit install. Any one having the same problems. All my addons are through the steam store as is my instillation of TS2019.

What are those messages? Presumably you’ve not upgraded to W10 for a reason?

Another one from me, this time a little less Christmasy.

About a mile south of torquay back in the summer of 1985 (not that i was around at the time...). 

great route from Vulcan Productions and part of their 12 days of Christmas downloads.

post-18951-0-54461400-1545780508_thumb.jpg

Jamie Dunn 

• Like 5

What are those messages? Presumably you’ve not upgraded to W10 for a reason?

Hi,

I have not upgraded from windows 7 because I do not like windows 10. I have to use Windows 10 at work and really hate it. In fact I liked Windows Vista(After you have gone into the program and stopped all the annoying un needed security hassels that MS put) more than I like Windows 10.

I have just done another uninstall, Cleaned out the steam apps folder of all TS related folders left behind. There were 287mb of files left behind. And have run my windows cleaning software to get rid of any files left lurking in the registry etc. Will reinstall tomorrow. A long and boring process of installing 49GB of data..... :(

Just hope it works this time.

Edited by cypherman