RMweb

A very worring e-mail

BoD

• RMweb Gold

I have reieved the folowing worrying e-mail.

post-7191-0-42841600-1545393210_thumb.jpg

The information it discovered (hidden above) was my e-mail address and password, although the password is not the current one but one that I have used in the past.  I do change the password although possibly not often enough.

This company, Vonahi, appears genuine although you can never be sure if the email itself is from them.  Of course I haven't clicked on any of the links in the e-mail - its quite possible that this is a scam to get me to do that. I'm assuming that the data is out there and it is not some sort of virus/malware/keytracker that I have as I believe I'm well protected and the data is old.

What is worrying is that the data is 'out there' but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given all of the leaks and hacks that we hear about.  Fortunately, so far, it appears that it has not been used maliciously, nor could it be with the password they have, so nothing has really changed since before I received the e-mail except that now I know about it and am worried. Do I change my email with all the hassle that involves?  Or do I rely on changing my password?  Should I inform my e-mail supplier?

Be careful folks, nothing is safe out there.

• RMweb Premium

I have reieved the folowing worrying e-mail.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

The information it discovered (hidden above) was my e-mail address and password, although the password is not the current one but one that I have used in the past.  I do change the password although possibly not often enough.

This company, Vonahi, appears genuine although you can never be sure if the email itself is from them.  Of course I haven't clicked on any of the links in the e-mail - its quite possible that this is a scam to get me to do that. I'm assuming that the data is out there and it is not some sort of virus/malware/keytracker that I have as I believe I'm well protected and the data is old.

What is worrying is that the data is 'out there' but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given all of the leaks and hacks that we hear about.  Fortunately, so far, it appears that it has not been used maliciously, nor could it be with the password they have, so nothing has really changed since before I received the e-mail except that now I know about it and am worried. Do I change my email with all the hassle that involves?  Or do I rely on changing my password?  Should I inform my e-mail supplier?

Be careful folks, nothing is safe out there.

It sounds like some sort of scam to me, they want you look at their pages to try to sell you something you probably don't need.

Change your password, then delete the e-mail.  I'd report it to your e-mail supplier as a phishing e-mail. For all we know they may have sent that e-mail to all Talk21 customers.

HTH

Moxy

Seem legit and is an informational/marketing mail.

They are a security company and have clearly seen some information that has been published by hackers somewhere.

Somewhere you have an account with has been compromised. That is useful information to know.

Use of dubiously obtained information for marketing is somewhat dubious. They'd be in trouble with GDPR.

So yeah. Change your passwords and don't use the same password for more than one account.

Edited by 30801

Scammers (or Phishers) try to trick you into giving your password, bank details etc to them.

By telling you your password, this company seems to be proving that you need to be more cautious.

I would just change the password they have got hold of (& maybe some others too if you believe that the accounts may be compromised), but the OP says he did this anyway.

Googled it. British Indian Ocean Territory (never heard of it).

Does not sound like a likely location for a genuine operation.

The British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT) is an overseas territory of the United Kingdom situated in the Indian Ocean halfway between Tanzania and Indonesia.

Purporting to say they are based there suggests it is a scam.

• RMweb Premium

That is among the spammiest things I've ever seen.

Have I Been Pwned will show if your email address shows up in any of the various hacked data dumps that have appeared online, not that that information is overly useful if you've already changed passwords. My email address appears in 6 breaches FWIW. Choose strong, unique passwords. Non alphanumeric characters don't make passwords stronger, just hard to remember, choose long passwords. Sentences are good, and easier to remember than P@ssw0rd! or something.

XKCD nailed it here:

password_strength.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT) is an overseas territory of the United Kingdom situated in the Indian Ocean halfway between Tanzania and Indonesia.

Purporting to say they are based there suggests it is a scam.

It doesn't follow that they are based there, just that they are using a domain that is registered there.

How many television companies are really based in Tuvalu (.tv) ?

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

That was more because of the opening of non-geographical domain extensions, like .law, .xxx etc, as I’m sure you know.

.io isn’t hugely uncommon as an extension, usually used by small tech start ups for whatever reason.

• RMweb Premium

That was more because of the opening of non-geographical domain extensions, like .law, .xxx etc, as I’m sure you know.

.io isn’t hugely uncommon as an extension, usually used by small tech start ups for whatever reason.

io = i/o = input/output, which is a tech thing.

• RMweb Premium

io = i/o = input/output, which is a tech thing.

Indeed, also seen it in the context of 1/0 as digital signals (although I’m now failing to recall who used that justification) - bit tenuous for many that adopt it though - I think it’s as much because it’s geographically neutral, no one is actually based in the Indian Ocean territory! You can have .tech after all.

Edited by njee20

Have I Been Pwned will show if your email address shows up in any of the various hacked data dumps that have appeared online, not that that information is overly useful if you've already changed passwords. My email address appears in 6 breaches FWIW.

Interesting. Mine appears in 3, not one of which have I ever registered for! I was expecting to be on the list of some of the big name data breaches but no

Jo

• RMweb Gold

Have I Been Pwned will show if your email address shows up in any of the various hacked data dumps that have appeared online, not that that information is overly useful if you've already changed passwords. My email address appears in 6 breaches FWIW.

I wasn't overly surprised that my e-mail address was out there somewhere but a little worried that it was associated with one on my (thankfully) previous passwords.

• 3 weeks later...

Had one of these this morning:

I​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ know XXXXXXXXX o​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e o​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​f your pa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ss. L​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ets g​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​et ri​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ght to​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ purpo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​s​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e. No p​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​erso​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n ha​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​s comp​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ensa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ted m​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e to ch​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eck a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​bo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ut you. Yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​u ma​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​y not kno​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​w m​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e and yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​u a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​r​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e most li​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​k​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ely thinki​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ng why yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​u'r​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e g​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​etti​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ng thi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​s e-ma​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​il? 

i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n fa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ct, i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nsta​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​lled a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ so​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ftwa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​r​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e on th​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​dult po​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​rn w​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eb-si​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​t​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e and yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​u kno​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​w wha​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​t, you vi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​si​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ted this site to​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ have fun (you know wha​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​t i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ m​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ean). Whi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​l​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​u w​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​er​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e viewi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ng vid​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ cli​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ps, yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ur i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nt​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ern​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​et brows​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​er i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ni​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​tia​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​t​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ed functi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​o​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ni​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ng as a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ R​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​emote D​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eskto​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​p ha​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​vi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ng a k​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ey lo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​gg​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​er whi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ch pro​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​vid​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ed me wi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​th a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​cc​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ess to​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ your di​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​splay scr​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​en as w​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ell a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​s web ca​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​m. Just a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ft​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​er that, my so​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ftwa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​r​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e progra​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​m obta​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ed yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ur compl​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​et​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e co​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nta​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​cts from yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ur M​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ess​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eng​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​er, soci​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​l n​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​etwo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​rks, a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​s w​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ell as ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​emai​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​l . and th​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​en i ma​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​d​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ doubl​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e vi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​deo. Fi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​rst pa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​rt di​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​spla​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ys th​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e vi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​d​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eo yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​u w​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​er​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e wa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​tchi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ng (yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​u'v​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e go​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​t a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ go​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​o​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​d tast​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e haha), a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nd s​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eco​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nd pa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​rt displays th​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e r​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ecordi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ng of your ca​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​m, y​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ea​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ts yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​u. 

Yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​u ha​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ve a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ pai​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​r of soluti​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ons. L​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ets lo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​o​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​k a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​t th​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​es​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e typ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​es o​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​f po​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ssi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​bi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​li​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ti​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​es i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n parti​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​cula​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​rs: 

Very fi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​rst a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​lt​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​erna​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ti​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​v​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​s to​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ di​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​srega​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​rd thi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​s ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​emai​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​l m​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​essag​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e. i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n thi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​s sc​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ena​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ri​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​o​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​, i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ will s​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​end out yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ur a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ctua​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​l vi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​deo to​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ea​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ch o​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e o​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​f your p​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​erso​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nal conta​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​cts a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nd you ca​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​easi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ly i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ma​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​gi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e concerni​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ng the humi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​li​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​atio​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​u ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​exp​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eri​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​enc​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e. i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ddi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ti​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​on if yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​u a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​re i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ro​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ma​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nc​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e, pr​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eci​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​s​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ely ho​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​w it wi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ll a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ff​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ect? 

i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n th​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e s​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eco​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nd pla​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​c​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e so​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​lution sho​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​uld b​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e to pa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​y m​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e $969. Lets ca​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ll it a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ dona​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​tio​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n. i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n such a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ case, i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ mo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​st c​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​erta​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nly will witho​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ut delay eli​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​mi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​na​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​t​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ur vi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​d​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eo. Yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​u co​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​uld ca​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​rry o​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n da​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ly li​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​f​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e li​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ke thi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​s nev​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​er ha​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​pp​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ened a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nd you wi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ll no​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​t ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ev​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​er h​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ear ba​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ck agai​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n from m​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e. 

You'll make th​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e payment thro​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ugh Bi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​tco​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n (i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​f yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​u do​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ no​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​t kno​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​w thi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​s, s​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​earch 'how to​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ buy bit​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​co​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​in' i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n Googl​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e sea​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​rch ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​engi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e). 

BT​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​C a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ddr​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ess: 1H7uWvwLDaMiLat5ag7XHpDEfyWVk8Usan 
[Ca​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​S​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e SeNSi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​TiVe co​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​py a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nd past​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​t] 

Should yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​u a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​re curi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​o​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​us a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​bo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ut go​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ing to th​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e co​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ps, lo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​o​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​k, thi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​s ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ema​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​l m​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​essag​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e ca​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nno​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​t b​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e tra​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​c​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ed ba​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ck to m​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e. I​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ha​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​v​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e d​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ea​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​lt wi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​th my steps. i a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​m a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​lso​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ no​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​t lo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​oki​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ng to​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ dema​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nd a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ whol​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e lot, i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ o​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nly wa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nt to​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ be pa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​d fo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​r. You now hav​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e t​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​wo da​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ys i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n o​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​rder to​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ pay. i ha​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​v​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ sp​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eci​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​fi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​c pi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​xel i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n thi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​s m​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​essa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​g​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e, and ri​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ght now i kno​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​w that you have r​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ea​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​d this messa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ge. i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​f i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ do​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ no​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​t g​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​et th​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e B​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​tCoins, i will defi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ni​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​t​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ely send out your vi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​d​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ r​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eco​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​rdi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ng to​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ll o​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​f your co​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nta​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​cts includi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ng m​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​emb​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ers of yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ur fa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​mi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ly, co​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​wo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​rkers, a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nd ma​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ny oth​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ers. Ha​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ving sa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​d tha​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​t, i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​f i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ do​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ get pai​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​d, i'll ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​era​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​s​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e the r​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eco​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​rdi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ng right a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​wa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​y. Thi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​s i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​s th​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e no​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n-nego​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ti​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​bl​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e off​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​er, so​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ do​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​n't wa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ste my p​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ersonal ti​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​m​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​e and yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​urs by r​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eplying to​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ thi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​s ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ema​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​l. if yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​u wa​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nt pro​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​of, reply with Yea a​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​nd i​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ d​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​efinit​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ely wi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ll s​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​end out yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ur vi​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​d​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eo r​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​eco​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​rding to yo​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ur 6 conta​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​cts. 

I know there is no recording as I have no webcam :P
And I don't visit those sorts of websites.

However, it does concern me the email address they used to contact me is an old one (that luckily I am retiring) but the password is a normal one I use (quite un-secure).

Wonder if this has come from an attack on an old website I visited at some point?

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

I had a less obvious one the other day.

Supposedly from Google informing me that my password had been changed. I do indeed use Google for mail & also have an Android phone & tablet. It said if I was unaware it had changed, then there was a recovery option. Could someone have hacked into my phone & done it somehow since it was still working on here?

I clicked on this & it asked me for my last known password in order to recover my account. This sounded my 'anti-phishing alarm'.

I closed the page on my phone, switched on my PC & logged onto mail normally. The existing password worked fine therefore it cannot have been changed & the email was false.

@SirTophamHatt

Your e-mail is of the format that has been doing the rounds lately - it actually originates from China. There was quite a thread on it on theregister.co.uk (an IT site) a few weeks ago. If I recall correctly the solution was to mark it as 'phishing' (or if your mail server allows it, 'block' all e-mails from 'that' address) and delete it - then ignore.

@Pete the Elaner

Had one about 2 months ago purportedly from Microsoft saying that my Outlook account had been attacked and that possibly my password had been compromised. Unfortunately I wasn't able to view the message source (a facility that no longer exists in Outlook) so there was no way of knowing if it was genuine or not. In this instance as it was a password I had been using for over 20 years and the same one for many other sites, I did think it wise to change anyway - bit of a pain - but perhaps for the good.

Cheers,

Philip