Hornby - New tooling - Large Prairie

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

A rake of 4 Hornby non corridor delivered Feb 2019 will be perfect......cant wait! Although I have to be patient because my livery...GWR .....hasnt emerged from the Container

Regards

John

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Matabiau said:

Can anyone suggest some typical train compositions for the 61XX tht Hornby has just released (BR black)? From ready to run stock I take it that would be the likes of Hornby Collets (maroon or red and cream), Backmann non corridor Mk1s in maroon, or Mk1s from either manufacturer?

A four car B set would be ideal I would imagine, but that's not for today.

For 61XX a Paddington suburban working is a good one to model. Thus Hornby non corridor bow ended Collett stock in maroon. Too early for BR Mk 1. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, john dew said:

A rake of 4 Hornby non corridor delivered Feb 2019 will be perfect......cant wait! Although I have to be patient because my livery...GWR .....hasnt emerged from the Container

Regards

John

And likewise I wait on the BR late version which was more widely seen around the region. A black tanner oner is mainly restricted to the London Division.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure I remember Mk1 suburban coaches appearing in the London local services while 61xx were still around in black. However these would have been the full length versions and not the shorter ones covered by Bachmann. They were usually just one in the formation.

Bazza

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, john dew said:

.....cant wait! Although I have to be patient because my livery...GWR .....hasnt emerged from the Container

I reckon next month John.;)

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I reckon next month John.;)

I reckon / hope it’s next week...... 

A couple of weeks ago Hornby said by the end of June.....

Maybe that’s just wishful thinking, but Hornby do seem to have a lot of stock arriving in the next few weeks.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Bazza said:

I'm sure I remember Mk1 suburban coaches appearing in the London local services while 61xx were still around in black. However these would have been the full length versions and not the shorter ones covered by Bachmann. They were usually just one in the formation.

Bazza

I’ve searched for photos of London area suburban workings that might just fit what you say. The only one I have found dates from 1957 .This is of 6157 taken at Windsor & Eton station at the head of two Mk 1’s and a rake of bow ended Colletts.6157 carries e/c on her side and appears to be unlined. Unfortunately the image is in b/w .So you may well be correct. The long version IS available btw.Not Bachmann though. I have a set .Name escapes me atm.Someone will post who it is I’m sure .Just remembered. Replica  do them.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding text

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I’ve searched for photos of London area suburban workings that might just fit what you say. The only one I have found dates from 1957 .This is of 6157 taken at Windsor & Eton station at the head of two Mk 1’s and a rake of bow ended Colletts.6157 carries e/c on her side and appears to be unlined. Unfortunately the image is in b/w .So you may well be correct. The long version IS available btw.Not Bachmann though. I have a set .Name escapes me atm.Someone will post who it is I’m sure .Just remembered. Replica  do them.

Replica offered (and might still do - see below) WR length Mk1 non-gangwayed stock.  Of course if Hornby had gor t their timing right (and perhaps not dashed away shoving production resources into making something out of the OxfordRail Terrier??) we would have had the engine and coaches to go with it  released in the same year.  But no harm done, the big prairie is now fast coming up over the horizon.

The Replica vehicle is still available for 'self-assembly' - 

http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/ready-to-run-items/self-assembly

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Were to find your Large Prairie.

The 61XX at nationalistion were apart from 3 allocated to Oxford all at Slough, Reading, Southall or OOC.

In around 1953 some were dispersed away but they always remained mainly a London area allocated class.

The 41XX & 51XX were the opposite being allocated far and wide around the GWR system, with little or no London area allocations

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The 41XX & 51XX were the opposite being allocated far and wide around the GWR system, with little or no London area allocations

@melmerby - thanks for that reminder. It will help us avoid the attention of the Rivet Counters.

I'll play safe and go for 4154 (for example). Allocated (at various times) to Carmarthen, Worcester, Newton Abbot, Banbury, Stourbridge Junction, and Oxley.

Ref: http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=4154&loco=4154

Enough of an excuse for it being anywhere we like?

10 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

6114 is good one - spent most of its BR life not in the London Division!  (It had less than a year at Reading in later years that apart it went everywhere from Cornwall to West Wales plus a few sheds in between)

Well spotted.

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=6114&loco=6114

• Like 1

6145 was Reading (W.R.), Old Oak Common, Oxford

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=6145&loco=6145

6110 was Old Oak Common, Southall, Oxford

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=6110&loco=6110

4160 was Barry, Merthyr Tydfil, Radyr, Severn Tunnel Junction

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=4160&loco=4160

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

6114 is good one - spent most of its BR life not in the London Division!  (It had less than a year at Reading in later years that apart it went everywhere from Cornwall to West Wales plus a few sheds in between)

1/1/1948, 1/1/1950 & 1/1/1951 was at Slough but moved in 1951

42 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

6145 was Reading (W.R.), Old Oak Common, Oxford

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=6145&loco=6145

6145 started it's BR career at Slough according to Hugh Longworth's list

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

There are no issues in renumbering this model with etched plates; the 61xx were a Collett variant with higher pressure boilers to improve acceleration on the tightly timed London area suburban area.  There are no visible differences between these and the 5101, which included the 41xx series.  Some 61xx had the tripcock apparatus for use on LT routes, but AFAIK no 5101s ever did.  

The BR mk1 64' non gangwayed compartment coaches were allocated to the WR and SR.  AFAIK the Hawksworth 64' non gangwayed 10 compartment second never had a matching brake or composite vehicle, and was introduced post-nationalisation; in WR terms the mk1 64' non gangwayed coaches were a continuation of it.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The aforementioned 6114 at Pilning near Bristol  14/09/63:

https://zenfolio.page.link/3xNu6

Nice short train for those with limited space.

The coach is not W6346 (E131 of 1927) which is a non corridor 9 compartment non brake compo.

My Guess would be an E159 Brake compo, which could be W7346 of 1939

EDIT Bachmann do a version of an E159

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Number of sellers on ebay for the same price or a penny less with free postage including 47401 Project if you want to support the owners of that loco https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YOU-CHOOSE-Hornby-GWR-BR-61xx-Large-Prairie-DCC-Ready-DCC-Fitted-BRAND-NEW/164249529715?hash=item263e08ed73:g:pXcAAOSwu1Je6muJ although I presume its a mistake listing them as used - could be they are strictly playing by ebays terms if they have test run them

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

The aforementioned 6114 at Pilning near Bristol  14/09/63:

https://zenfolio.page.link/3xNu6

Nice short train for those with limited space.

The coach is not W6346 (E131 of 1927) which is a non corridor 9 compartment non brake compo.

My Guess would be an E159 Brake compo, which could be W7346 of 1939

EDIT Bachmann do a version of an E159

This is just the coach for drivers and passengers of road vehicles making the journey through the Severn Tunnel from STJ.

The cars went chained down on flats behind. Did the journey once on the way to a West Country holiday with my parents.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

This is just the coach for drivers and passengers of road vehicles making the journey through the Severn Tunnel from STJ.

The cars went chained down on flats behind. Did the journey once on the way to a West Country holiday with my parents.

I thought the coach & carflats were in the same train, or is this just a positioning move for the coach?

• RMweb Gold

I thought the coach & carflats were in the same train, or is this just a positioning move for the coach?

Correct.But no question that is what it is. Not then the easiest,the quickest and certainly not the cheapest way of conquering the obstacle of the Severn Estuary but a challenge just for the experience. An early Motorail if you like.Anyway better than queueing for the Beachley- Aust ferry.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Correct.But no question that is what it is. Not then the easiest,the quickest and certainly not the cheapest way of conquering the obstacle of the Severn Estuary but a challenge just for the experience. An early Motorail if you like.Anyway better than queueing for the Beachley- Aust ferry.

and I guess that doesn’t include the time or cost of cleaning your car afterwards.  Can’t imagine it wouldn’t have got covered in soot!

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Clearwater said:

and I guess that doesn’t include the time or cost of cleaning your car afterwards.  Can’t imagine it wouldn’t have got covered in soot!

Good question David. One I haven’t in all honesty considered. After all it was only a Ford Prefect.One thing that stays in the memory was the time it took to chain the cars down  and then unshackle them when eventually we reached Pilning for onward journey to the West.I think we did it for the experience rather than convenience. SNCF to Provence it certainly was not.But hey we did it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

After all it was only a Ford Prefect.One thing that stays in the memory was the time it took to chain the cars down  and then unshackle them when eventually we reached Pilning for onward journey to the West.

Doesn't it depend on what kind of Ford Prefect you've got?

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/27700000/Flying-Ford-Anglia-harry-potter-27702231-714-300.jpg

Edited by KeithMacdonald