Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

• RMweb Premium

Careful with what varnish you use and the surface you put it on, if it’s on a cardboard /paper type texture, it can soak in and carry over the edges, leaving a blobby discolouration. It might pay to do a test bit first away from your scenic efforts, which are looking very good.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Careful with what varnish you use and the surface you put it on, if it’s on a cardboard /paper type texture, it can soak in and carry over the edges, leaving a blobby discolouration. It might pay to do a test bit first away from your scenic efforts, which are looking very good.

Cheers :) 

Yes, it looks like Hornbach Panellack (not available in the UK is the stuff).

Might have to nip to Sweden to get some :)

Thats the guide but I’m doing it on the cheap with poster paints...

• Informative/Useful 1

Crab 42789 awaits a clear path after running in a parcel working.   It has run around using the platform 3 loop.  The Crab will now run to Stranraer Shed where it will be fed and watered.   This Crab is the only one without fire irons so a set of Hornby H123 has been ordered from Peters Spares. 

40596 (Ex works) awaits with a local departure from platform 2.  She really is far too clean for a loco which is soon to be cut up...

More reference material has arrived :) 

9DF39968-70C8-44AB-AA01-08D0A96077E2.jpeg

3AEB00F3-D5BC-46FC-8349-B499EC8A04A7.jpeg

B3E3FAFA-EE03-450E-9EBD-6CB764305C98.jpeg

C9FE1D78-3949-44A0-98B9-EE835F4C1563.jpeg

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 4

Progress at the lairage...

I am not sure of typical cow formations so I think this is:

Bull in a separate pen to The Cows?

I’m thinking of building a very low relief structure on the back of the lairage? 

Next step is to weather the lairage and add gates to each pen although with the lairage building just behind maybe the gates arnt needed as cattle would only pass through this part for loading? 

8278A223-A59A-448D-89B5-8E683CF96E13.jpeg

• Like 1

Bulls would often be transported in 'Special Cattle Vans', resembling Horse Boxes. These would have facilities for fodder and water, and accommodation for a herdsman; such bulls were intended for stud purposes. The vans would be attached to passenger services to reduce travelling times and stress for the bull. Parkside do a kit for the GW Beetle, examples of the prototype lasting into the late 1960s, when they were superceded by flasks cooled with liquid nitrogen..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Bulls would often be transported in 'Special Cattle Vans', resembling Horse Boxes. These would have facilities for fodder and water, and accommodation for a herdsman; such bulls were intended for stud purposes. The vans would be attached to passenger services to reduce travelling times and stress for the bull. Parkside do a kit for the GW Beetle, examples of the prototype lasting into the late 1960s, when they were superceded by flasks cooled with liquid nitrogen..

Oh ok.  Looks like I need more cows or pigs then! 

Thanks for the info-much appreciated :) 

I’ll have to build a beetle :) 

I think the gates need to open in such a way that they steer traffic up the ramps 

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

I’ve ordered a beetle.  Quite a nice bit of rolling stock for my cattle train.  It will br BR crimson which I have paint of...

• RMweb Premium

I fancy shifting prize bulls for breeding would be a rare occurrence. The bread and butter job is moving cattle from Ireland to British markets, then on to slaughter. I would think you need facilities for water troughs at the pens, so they could drink before getting loaded into vans. Another associated traffic are hides, from Ireland to tanning factories. They’re just stacked flat to make up a load for an open wagon. I’ve come back sharing deck space with some, and the smell knocks your head off.

• Like 1

HELP!  

The above book has proved useful.  It looks like there are Gresley coaches/Thompson coaches on the through train from Stranraer to Newcastle.  Hauled by Stanier Cl.5 to Carlisle with a loco change at Carlisle to a B1.

The timing seems 12:15/12:17pm from Stranraer Harbour.

There appears to have been regular Carlisle-Newcastle express workings. 

Can anyone one help with the time for the Newcastle to Stranraer boat train?  The opposite working to the one above. 

Best

Dan 

At present my Stranraer-Newcastle service consists of:

Stanier P3 BSK, CK, CK, BSK.  Plus two Hornby (Yes I know they are less than accurate) Gresley railroad teak repaints...

Power today is Jubilee 45715 which is running back to Carlisle.

Meanwhile the new cattle facilities are being tested by my daughter and the Hunslet which is the only loco she runs.

5D3D7EC6-50E9-4BF8-9D9A-96A7C86FC3ED.jpeg

660634E3-5EE1-4210-8A27-B58799D835C9.jpeg

• Like 2

The 12:17pm to Newcastle leaves.  Jubilee 45715 ‘Invincible’ will haul it to Carlisle via ‘The Port Road’.   At Carlisle an A3 will take over.

Eventually four Thompson maroon coaches will take over from the Stanier rake!  

The two ‘Gresleys’ were picked up cheap of EBay and were repainted from ‘plastic teak’. 

Anyone know if there was a 61ft SK? 

7B974F5B-0075-4984-BA87-49DC2D4703D1.jpeg

CD79612E-763F-463D-8CD3-92FC1777E132.jpeg

E8D47C07-90E1-4241-92D8-047EB0C3F8C9.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Couple of standpipes as well, I imagine and some hose for cleaning the pens when they are empty as well as filling the troughs.  And you need some sort of storage for the feed.  My standpipes came with a Ratio kit but I can't remember which one offhand; possibly fence posts.

9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Couple of standpipes as well, I imagine and some hose for cleaning the pens when they are empty as well as filling the troughs.  And you need some sort of storage for the feed.  My standpipes came with a Ratio kit but I can't remember which one offhand; possibly fence posts.

There will be a building behind the pens that’ll house most of those items.  I think gates and troughs in the pens will suffice :) 

• RMweb Gold

Sorted!  There'll be a Port Vet's office somewhere as well, with a duty rota for incoming boats.  Somewhere, I think in the General Appendix (to the 1955 Rules and Regulations), are the instructions for animal welfare, the feeding, watering, exercising that they had to be be given at periods while in transit; these will be of considerable interest if you can track them down!  Railway staff were responsible for this, and of course varied in their ability to actually handle the beasts...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1