Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

2 hours ago, 5 C said:

Yes, the Hornby compo is based on their 1970's/80's generic 57' GWR-esque chassis, which leads to the wrong roof profile, corridor ends and I think, bogies as well. 

The Airfix 57' and 60' Stanier Period 3 coaches are much more accurate and although a little basic, can be fettled into something quite acceptable and are a useful starting point for conversions using Comet sides.

Yes, they look quite good when repainted. I haven’t quite got the grey on the luggage doors good enough but they will pass :)

The Hornby set will then be a spare.

I will be able to strengthen the two thee coach sets to four with a Stanier Period Two coach or some Ex LMS 57ft non corridor suburb and :) 

Might need to actually build some platforms for the passengers...

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

57' is the correct length for the BSK, though.  Stanier coaches came in 57 and 60 foot lengths, with the brakes being shorter.  BGs were shorter still at 50'.

All a bit of a simplification! There are 62' and 65' as well. And that's just for main line stock and ignoring the 12w carriages (68ft).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

Did they ever do a 57ft SK period three corridor? 

They would have been built by the LMS as corridor thirds (TK).

Diagrams 1860 and 1899 for pre-war versions.

Diagram 2119 for post-war.

Hornby offer(ed) a Stanier corridor third in their super detail range: https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/wagons-coaches/passenger-coaches/stanier-period-iii-coaches/lms-corridor-3rd-class-crimson-lake.html

48 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

I’ve taken the first class decal off the door so my Hornby 57ft corridors are now SK!  

That's not a bad shout.  Length-wise at least it's more accurate as a TK/SK than a composite.

Sadly, there's little to commend those early Hornby Staniers. Even the marginally more accurate corridor brake third lacks the very prominent guard's lookout ducket and they were really no match for the contemporary Airfix Staniers. Although the Airfix products weren't without their shortcomings, there was at least an attempt at flush glazing and they show just how much they and the Mainline products of the day really raised the game.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, 5 C said:

That's not a bad shout.  Length-wise at least it's more accurate as a TK/SK than a composite.

Sadly, there's little to commend those early Hornby Staniers. Even the marginally more accurate corridor brake third lacks the very prominent guard's lookout ducket and they were really no match for the contemporary Airfix Staniers. Although the Airfix products weren't without their shortcomings, there was at least an attempt at flush glazing and they show just how much they and the Mainline products of the day really raised the game.

Definitely you can see the difference.  The trouble is I repainted and re lined them all and they run on nice wheels so.. grew attached to them.  Detail wise they are not good.  

I guess as a spare rake they have a use but my coaching stock is mainly Bachmann/Mainline. 

I wish Dapol would sort there glazing out.  I used to have a Dapol rake but found some of the coaches had odd underframe details? 

The Dapol coaches are the old Airfix moulds given a new lease of life. The glazing and the underframes are among the shortcomings I mentioned.

There are various techniques for minimising the prismatic effect of the glazing and SE Finecast do flush glazing for the Stanier period 3s. I've not used them so can't comment on whether they're an improvement over what's already there. Laserglaze only list kits for the suburban coaches.

The underframes are a bit sparse. They lack the lateral trussing and v hangers - Comet do an etch for these or you can make your own with plastic strip. The vacuum cylinders and dynamo are not rendered well - Comet again. Trouble is, by the time you've shelled out on all these you may be able to pick up a cheap present day Hornby Stanier for the same outlay, which has all these and more.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 5 C said:

The Dapol coaches are the old Airfix moulds given a new lease of life. The glazing and the underframes are among the shortcomings I mentioned.

There are various techniques for minimising the prismatic effect of the glazing and SE Finecast do flush glazing for the Stanier period 3s. I've not used them so can't comment on whether they're an improvement over what's already there. Laserglaze only list kits for the suburban coaches.

The underframes are a bit sparse. They lack the lateral trussing and v hangers - Comet do an etch for these or you can make your own with plastic strip. The vacuum cylinders and dynamo are not rendered well - Comet again. Trouble is, by the time you've shelled out on all these you may be able to pick up a cheap present day Hornby Stanier for the same outlay, which has all these and more.

SEF flushglaze and a coat of paint makes a huge difference to the Airfix/Dapol coaches.

• RMweb Gold

My old Airfix B set is now out of service having been replaced by the immeasurably better new Hornby Collett suburbans, but I worked it up quite a bit over the years.  This also suffered from the jamjar effect of prismatic windows, common on models of that era.  The intention was noble, to reduce the apparent thickness of the body sides, and you only had to look at the concurrent Hornby or Lima coaches to see how much that was needed, but it sort of drew attention to itself to the extent that it merely replaced one visual unpleasantness with another one.  I reglazed my B sets with conventional 'back' glazing during a repaint and found to my surprise that the overall appearance was considerably improved.

I think this might have been because the previous glazing created an optical illusion which made the window reveals look smaller than they were.  The back glazing looked much more like photos of the stock and my childhood memory of Collett suburban stock in service; despite being a backward step in terms of 'scale' appearance, it worked!  It might not be as effective with your Staniers because of the ventilators, whose overthick appearance will stand out.  

Another possibility comes to mind, though.  The appearance will be radically altered by internal lighting, which will reduce the reflections from external light sources, and might be an excuse to fit it to this set and use it for your evening trains...

• Like 1

Good idea :)

Yeah I do like the mainline product.  The much nicer Hornby new versions are just too expensive.

With the repainted Airfix and some mainline coach I can create:

Local to Glasgow-

Stanier P2 Comp

Stanier P3 BK

Stanier P3 CK 60ft

Stanier P3 BK

Ex LMS CCT

Need to paint the P2 roof...

F089A42B-E204-4174-BA08-C4F158D0CD45.jpeg

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, calvin Streeting said:

thats why i printed it :) 

I’ve found a solution...

I’m extending the barrel crossing :) 

It appears in some pictures that there was an extended wooden platform at the front of platform one (the bay) so...

The barrel crossing will extend forwards (to allow good visibility for safety).  The point rodding runs under this and wooden cladding also covers the runs into the signal box.  The barrel crossing then runs as per prototype to steps to platform 3 (the far one).  The steps will now be a ramp. 

Just need to print some cladding!  Thankfully I’ve built up quite a Scalescenes library! 

The barrow crossing will obviously have to be raised to go over the rodding.

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 1