Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

So glad I was able to get this beautiful locomotive.  

It really is a work of art.  It’s a shame about my weathering but I like it more now.  

Its 5:28am and the Down Boat Train is arriving for the morning sailing to Larne.  

The book which is inspiring this layout as well :) 

09D8D30F-5198-4DC0-97AC-AD2FB48222F9.jpeg

9ACDA2F7-6CF3-4AD3-985D-4989E8A8C2E4.jpeg

3F118A64-83FD-4AF0-9522-40194978EF51.jpeg

Edited by danstercivicman
Spelling
  • Like 3

The worlds busiest shunter!!!

The poor passengers in the sleeping cars! 

They don’t need to leave their beds until 6:25am and the Clan is still attached to provide train heating but there’s so much noise!  

The BG is being unloaded, the Hunslet is scurrying around and the hustle and bustle of the non sleeper car passengers...

EB6CCCBB-B99A-4B4E-ACDC-FB90C35B8A83.jpeg

• Like 1

The 2P’s have arrived!  

Mainline 40568 early crest lined

Mainline 40596 late crest non lined 

Thanks to Ray for his blog I’ve been able to get the quartering sorted! 

There she is bringing a train into the Harbour. 

3640D3C6-3080-4256-9F6A-B77E5FD31B76.jpeg

83766F4E-1362-4239-AC82-54EEF4102B10.jpeg

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The backscene looks very good.

Cheers Clive,

It needs some detailing-mainly around the water/land interface but I’m glad you like it :)

It really makes a difference.  Long term I’ll get some ply (thin) and attach 40cm upwards where the insulation is currently so that should make it feel more spacious :) 

• Like 1

I’ve cut the photo slightly...

If I get the computer fired up I can prob edit the silver bit...

I have to have coal at that level in the tender as it has to represent the down and up loco! 

Not it to mention the 20:09 return from Glasgow! 

The shiny fencing ding stands out-it’s still to be painted...

602FD252-58C6-4F25-9256-D02F0E1CCDFC.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am very impressed with that backscene, which chimes very closely with my brief memory of the place.  It needs Loch Ryan of course, but the hills look just right.  Did you paint it yourself?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I am very impressed with that backscene, which chimes very closely with my brief memory of the place.  It needs Loch Ryan of course, but the hills look just right.  Did you paint it yourself?

Thank you, yup all hand painted and not quite finished :) 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

50 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Kudos, Dan! ;)

Got to master the art of making water effect now...

Looking at pictures on the inter web the far shore was quite bleak so that’s good. 

I’m thinking a white/grey line to represent the water breaking in the middle of the brown mud.  A small area of dark blue to represent the channel.  Some rocks up near the bridge bit and a ‘sea wall’ along the pier side towards the signal box.   Then a small gravel beach by the embankment. 

Concrete effect Scalescenes paper around the signal box base then a low wall along the track side. 

Then use PVA to cover the water area with several coats...

• RMweb Gold

Should work.  The A77 road has to be suggested running across the head of the loch at the shoreline wall, but it diverts inland for a few hundred yards behind a hill where it turns north along the shoreline directly opposite the pier (my memory isn't that good, I've been looking at the map!).  Water would mostly be quite calm, sheltered from everything but northwesterlies,   but was probably a bit lumpy if there was a strong northwesterly driving up the loch.  

Suggestion of wading birds picking at the edge of the waterline, perhaps; just dots for knot or sanderlings, maybe a few oystercatchers supervising things...  And gulls of course.  My memory suggests a line of telegraph poles along the road at the head of the loch back in the day, but I wouldn't swear to it and perhaps I just think there should be.  Looking at street view not only validates your backscene (!), but suggests that housing had progressed along the A77 as far as Ladies Walk in the 60s; it looks a bit more modern east of that.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Should work.  The A77 road has to be suggested running across the head of the loch at the shoreline wall, but it diverts inland for a few hundred yards behind a hill where it turns north along the shoreline directly opposite the pier (my memory isn't that good, I've been looking at the map!).  Water would mostly be quite calm, sheltered from everything but northwesterlies,   but was probably a bit lumpy if there was a strong northwesterly driving up the loch.  

Suggestion of wading birds picking at the edge of the waterline, perhaps; just dots for knot or sanderlings, maybe a few oystercatchers supervising things...  And gulls of course.  My memory suggests a line of telegraph poles along the road at the head of the loch back in the day, but I wouldn't swear to it and perhaps I just think there should be.  Looking at street view not only validates your backscene (!), but suggests that housing had progressed along the A77 as far as Ladies Walk in the 60s; it looks a bit more modern east of that.

I like the idea of wading birds on the beach line.   There’s some housing behind the embankment (where the road bridge is).  

I haven’t done anything today except repaint some EBay bargain coaches.

A typical day towards the end of the Port Road.  

The Class 126 (Class 110) purrs away in platform 2 whilst the Dumfries service awaits the starting signal..

The infrastructure scored very low in a recent survey...  passengers moaned about the lack of facilities, platforms and canopies! 

FB6F528A-A56F-40EA-B943-9DE5A67E8F59.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, but I can’t accept that 1st generation dmus ever purred.  Idling in platforms or on depots, they sort of grumbled in irritation to themselves, while the windows rattled.  Once under way, you got the impression that they were even more irritated and had to catch their breath during the gear changes.  Their lack of enthusiasm for anything was palpable, it all seemed to be too much bother...

Some of the higher powered ones, like the 110s, Trans Pennines, and the later 123 Swindon InterCities, could produce a pleasing rasp from the exhausts at high revs, though. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

10 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Would it be easier to get at the rails, to paint them, before the platforms go down?

10 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Would it be easier to get at the rails, to paint them, before the platforms go down?

Probably yes.  That will be next.  Atm the wood is the platform supports :) 

More ballasting and rail painting tonight whilst my daughter decided to recreate an enormous traffic jam on the road section!  Apparently all the drivers wanted to see the Hunslet!  No pictures as I’m waiting to see if some of my scenic techniques have worked in the am...

Slowly but surely the layout edges onwards (thanks to hols)..

Adding the barrel crossing which also hides the point rodding.

The signal box is temporary and I have a new one to build! It is a wooden one and is more in keeping with the original which was wooden and a reddish pink colour before being repainted white. 

1BDB38B5-EFBF-44EC-86D7-BEB93EE098AD.jpeg

• Like 2