Class 25 photos

• RMweb Gold

Re 25051 and your first drive, I assume you weren't responsible for providing the modification to the cab side?

Even if he was it would have been kept quiet!! My first Drive was a 47/3 light engine Nuneaton to Saltley depot come over here lad was the statement !

Two class 25’s wait to leave south end yard for three spires & Coventry Colliery wagons look brand new.post-12-0-74390700-1546978569_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Davidjsmith
  • Like 13

For such a numerous class, 25s were not a common sight in the North East in the 1980s, however, a trip to Carlisle would usually produce a sighting or two.

Those are a couple of interesting ones for the trains behind - Derby test coach between the loco and the freightliner wagons, and does anyone recognise the type of  wagons under the sheets?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

25 272 stands in Nuneaton abbey street yard awaiting wagons to be loaded on T39 Birmingham DCE TRIP the 2nd trip of the day(mostly to BANBURY sometimes another load to a Brum. .First one to Birmingham Tyseley or washford heath or Walsall .

post-12-0-70246100-1546980721_thumb.jpeg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to everyone for the enthusiastic response to this thread. Some great photos and comments.

It's good to see that the 25s are still popular with modellers and enthusiasts. Looking at all the photos made me think that I couldn't imagine a 25 painted in any of the later liveries that other BR locos received.

For such a numerous class, 25s were not a common sight in the North East in the 1980s, however, a trip to Carlisle would usually produce a sighting or two.

25059 at Carlisle.jpg

25202 at Carlisle.jpg

Regarding liveries, I think Railfreight red stripe might look well on them. Possibly GBRf as well. Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

'RMWeb Pic Of The Week' there Phil, bonus Peak and BL 'Reginald Molehusband' Maxi / Landcrab daily transport...!

Cheers Nidge! Probably best if I dont pass that on to my chum John Howles, gricing and long term friend - and judging by the microphone on the tripod I bet he has some audio content somewhere....

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

25199 Rugeley Power Station oil train from Immingham they mixed the oll with coal slack in winter.The panels inside the cab were those like hearing test booths lots of tiny holes !

A wonderful photo  - thanks for sharing!

Do you happen to have any others photos within the power station at Rugeley by any chance - I play in the brass band that was based there and used to be a member of the model engineering society.

Sorry all for the thread hijack - just too good an opportunity to miss, Rats are my all time favourite class, will post some of my Rat photos on here soon!

Edited by 08221

• RMweb Gold

The last deserves a caption competition of its own maybe.

The bloke on the left loco is saying, “who says that mermaids don’t really exist”.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1

I can’t see much evidence in these photos of the beige fibreglass semi-translucent roofs that seem to be omnipresent on models nowadays, and from memory they were blue (at least during the last 10 years of 25s being around, which is what I can remember).

Just to double-check, does anyone have any good shots from above, especially when nearly ex-works. Were the roofs painted?

The only locos I remember with these 'honey-coloured' panels were the BR&CW Type 3s. Everything else was either grey (in BR Green days) or blue.

And there's more........

25 194 at Chinley on the ICI hoppers, 12.3.1984

post-35561-0-61842300-1547059105.jpg

25 224, Springs Branch, Wigan, 11.9.1984

post-35561-0-11471000-1547059174.jpg

25 244, Buxton Depot, 16.2.1985

post-35561-0-77063500-1547059339.jpg

25 211 passing the former Manchester Exchange station, 31.3.1986

post-35561-0-32151700-1547059355.jpg

Think that's covered nearly all my Class 25 photos now (apart from a couple of late 1970's shots that aren't stored on this computer).........

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

25-177 Re-railing demo at Stratford Open Day, July 1983.

..one for the prototype for everything thread too.

Kev.

(Who just loves this thread. 25/0s are nearly 24s - please let 24s in here.)

• RMweb Gold

Some cracking shots on here!

Another favourite shot of mine - I always had a very soft spot for BR Sulzer type 2s! Seen here previously on another thread but relevant to this one, 25038's boiler is steaming well to keep the officers in the saloon warm at Norton Junction.

post-7138-0-40429300-1547063459_thumb.jpg

Phil

• Like 12