Hi Everyone,

I recently tried to order some Railmatch paint (acrylic) from a few UK suppliers: Howes, Hattons and Kernows. However, it seems that a rule has changed and now they can't send any (acrylic or enamel) paint overseas. This is frustrating especially in terms that they were the most accurate I could order from Australia (had to order acrylic due to shipping requirements) for rolling stock colours. In Australia the most accessible brands I can access is Humbrol, Tamiya and Vallejo. Does anyone know what paints of those brands would be closest to the following colours, it doesn't matter if it is acrylic or enamel:

• GWR loco green
  • GWR Stock Brown
  • GWR Coach cream
  • GWR Freight grey
  • SR Olive Green
  • GWR Light Stone
  • GWR Dark Stone

I ended up finding a GWR loco green in the Humbrol acrylic rail set (405) but it is the same as BR green and it looks a little flat to me but I may give it a go if there is not a solution.

Thanks
Regards Connor

• 4 weeks later...

I use a lot of Vallejo paints, but I'm afraid I can't help you with GWR colours. 

If you can obtain the BS number then this site might help you find a close match in Humbrol, Tamiya, or Vallejo

https://www.paint4models.com/paintchart/paintconversionchart20100101h.html#

It's designed with military modellers in mind, but you might find it useful.

Hope this helps.

Darren. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Connor,

I also live overseas, in the US. I reached out Kernow about ordering most all of the colors which you list. It is true that they cannot ship any paint (acrylic or enamel) via Royal Mail, but they were able to ship a number of pots to me via courier. If you contact them before placing the order, I reckon they would be happy to accommodate you. Bear in mind that it will be relatively expensive, £50 is what it cost me to have 8 pots of paint mailed.

Hope this helps,

Zach

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2019 at 01:28, CCGWR said:

Hi Everyone,

I recently tried to order some Railmatch paint (acrylic) from a few UK suppliers: Howes, Hattons and Kernows. However, it seems that a rule has changed and now they can't send any (acrylic or enamel) paint overseas. This is frustrating especially in terms that they were the most accurate I could order from Australia (had to order acrylic due to shipping requirements) for rolling stock colours. In Australia the most accessible brands I can access is Humbrol, Tamiya and Vallejo. Does anyone know what paints of those brands would be closest to the following colours, it doesn't matter if it is acrylic or enamel:

• GWR loco green
  • GWR Stock Brown
  • GWR Coach cream
  • GWR Freight grey
  • SR Olive Green
  • GWR Light Stone
  • GWR Dark Stone

I ended up finding a GWR loco green in the Humbrol acrylic rail set (405) but it is the same as BR green and it looks a little flat to me but I may give it a go if there is not a solution.

Thanks
Regards Connor

Have you contacted Phoenix directly and see whether they will post to you?

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/gwrbigfour

I bought some of that Humbrol RC405 and IMHO is nothing like the Railmatch version (which I also have)

It's far too blue. The Railmatch post 1928 GWR green looks quite good

• Like 1

7 hours ago, melmerby said:

Have you contacted Phoenix directly and see whether they will post to you?

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/gwrbigfour

I bought some of that Humbrol RC405 and IMHO is nothing like the Railmatch version (which I also have)

It's far too blue. The Railmatch post 1928 GWR green looks quite good

Agreed, I have since tried some of that Humbrol RC405, It is not close to GWR green in my eyes. I may look at contacting Phoenix at some point

• 5 months later...
On 25/02/2019 at 09:45, NoelG said:

Some retailers are pragmatic enough to realise water based acrylics can be safely posted and ignore the daft RM rules and just post the stuff. Suggest find a customer oriented retailer.

Try jadlam models on ebay or their own website.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just spent many hours looking for Humbrol acrylic rail colours available in the USA.  As I mentioned earlier in this thread Amazon USA lists some colours but shipping is expensive as It seems they come from a German stockist.  I did find a US supplier but once again a 'standard' shipping cost made buying two pots of paint somewhat expensive.  Then I realised that Humbrol themselves ship paint within the US..........2 pots with ground shipping = $12, not bad......