Halts as Termini

• RMweb Premium

I knew about the Beck Hole branch because it is included in the Microsoft Train Simulator route - but that is completely off topic.

And thanks for the contributions on the Cylla branch, a particular interest of mine.

Has the GWR line in the Amman valley been mentioned? As far as I can see all the stops were halts, and as it didn't connect with the main line presumably both termini were halts. At the south end was Cwmafan Colliery Halt. I think that at the other end passenger services terminated at Black Lion Halt, though the line beyond divided, the right hand line linking to the main line at Gelli Tarw Junction and the left hand line at Bwllfa colliery. Apologies if it has been mentioned before.

And thanks for the pointer to the scope. I asked because we seemed to wander in and out of more modern times.

Jonathan

• Informative/Useful 1

Oh, that looks like a good one!

Black lion Crossing Halt https://www.flickr.com/photos/60061449@N04/5485034239; Ton Llywd Halt; Godraeman Halt; Cwmneol Halt; Cwmaman Crossing Halt; Cwmaman Colliery Halt https://www.flickr.com/photos/47464516@N08/4345508258

2.75 miles of railway, with a self-contained service, all Halts, with its own table in Bradshaw. Doesn't look like one of the great railway journeys of the world, though ....... rather gloomy and satanic.

• Like 2

On 26/03/2019 at 09:24, Nearholmer said:

South Tyne

i found the picture below, and it certainly looks as if it might qualify.

can you point to any more info about Beck Hole? 

Kevin

C2CD05FE-42A4-4BA8-98F4-71631C127FF3.jpeg

The Whitby and Pickering Railway was opened in 1836. The original route ran via the village of Beck Hole to the south of Grosmont and included a rope-worked incline between Grosmont and Goathland. In 1865 the NER opened the new 'deviation route' which bypassed this alignment via Beck Hole and Bank Top. However a section was retained at the northern end as a short branch. This left the present day alignment of the NYMR at Deviation Junction Signal Box.

The branch served private sidings at Esk Valley, Flint Quarries and Dowson's Garth, as well as the village of Beck Hole itself. The line was operated by the Grosmont pilot engine. 

From 1908 the NER operated a summer-only passenger service from Whitby to Beck Hole village. A wooden station and ticket office were provided at ground level. The line was run using a push-pull service, a BTP tank and autocoach combination. This summer service continues to run each July, August and September until the outbreak of the First World War. It was aimed at fledgling tourist traffic.

In 1931 flooding washed away a bridge and the line was cut back to Dowson's Garth Siding. However goods continued to be delivered to the village of Esk Valley until 1951. In latter years this comprised a once a fortnight delivery of coal and other goods. The branch finally closed when the village of Esk Valley was provided with road access. 

You can walk the route today. It is a fascinating area with a wealth of interest to those concerned with industrial history. Despite being so rural, this whole area was once a hive of industrial activity. Indeed, Grosmont village itself was the site of an ironworks in the 19th Century. 

That's a (very!!) brief summary of the branch. Apologies for waffling on and hijacking the thread, but hopefully it might be useful to someone! 

Cheers,

David

• Informative/Useful 3

• 4 weeks later...

What about Mountsorrel Station on the GCR's Mountsorrel Branch (technically Mountsorrel Railway)?

It is on a Heritage line I know, so you could say a lot of Heritage Railway stations as terminus Halts:

i.e. Lawley Bank, Telford Steam Railway

Old Heath Halt & Mangapps Station, Mangapps Railway Museum

Braye Road & Mannez Quarry Stations, Alderney Railway

The Former Dixton Halt on the K&ESR

Park Halt, Middleton Railway