Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Signatures

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

I edited my signature to remove the blank lines that I originally put in to space it out

I tried this, but it told me my image was to big, and I can only have 3 lines. I was waiting until Andy's workload calmed down a bit to mention it though

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

I tried this, but it told me my image was to big, and I can only have 3 lines. I was waiting until Andy's workload calmed down a bit to mention it though

It's still do-able, I have trimmed mine down to 3 lines. Meanwhile, whilst the other gazzillion members catch up, I've turned off viewing of sigs altogether. Given some of the novella style sigs on some people's accounts, I'm all for the streamlining of them.

4 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

I noticed this, it seems the software now adds a line whenever you press [Enter].

It's not an extra line as such, it's extra white space after the paragraph., just like the "normal" style in Microsoft Word. It can be quite irritating when you are used to inserting extra line feeds manually. 

I've noticed that this hasn't just affect sigs either, a lot of thread content also now takes up a load of space due to the new style format and have mentioned it in the Features Wishlist thread.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

It is there, there may be a small X and down arrow bottom right, should be an option in your settings too.

signature.JPG.b91a067aaade3cedf1211910a3460451.JPG

Right, that just switches them all off, click on your name, top right go to [Account Settings] - [Signature] in the panal on the left.

482642372_signature01.JPG.e7f517c49ff158869ed12f527deaa242.JPG

Toggle [View Signatures] and click [Save] at the bottom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Toggle [View Signatures] and click [Save] at the bottom.

Thanks, that would explain the phenomenon. I had assumed that 'signature' in one's account settings would be for the account holder. I never thought it would contain settings for everyone else.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

Thanks, that would explain the phenomenon. I had assumed that 'signature' in one's account settings would be for the account holder. I never thought it would contain settings for everyone else.

I spent ages looking for that switch last night after turning off everyone's sig from someone's post! I too was not expecting it to be under the settings for my own sig. It used to be under Ignore Prefs on the old version IIRC.

• Agree 1

Just now, Worsdell forever said:

Ah, there's no signatures on a phone or small tablet, needs a larger screen to view them. 

Well that's me f****d then I only use the phone. 

Strange that as I read when RMweb came back the new forum was more secure and designed for mobile devices.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, N15class said:

Well that's me f****d then I only use the phone. 

Strange that as I read when RMweb came back the new forum was more secure and designed for mobile devices.

Before there were 2 versions, mobile and desktop,the desktop version could be used on a phone,  now it's 'inteligent'.

That's also solved a problem I had that I had on the back burner.

I had turned off sigs in the past, as they take up too much room and are distracting. Just occasionally, someone refers to a signature, so I wanted to turn them on but couldn't find where in the settings. I missed the global on/off button in my signature settings, as on a quick look, the whole thing seemed to refer to only my signature. I was expecting global signature settings to be in a global settings area of the settings.

If you've turned them off globally, there's no per-post "show signature" button, but if you've turned them on globally, there seems to be a per-post "hide signature" button, which seems a bit lop-sided.

Edited by eastwestdivide
typo

18 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Before there were 2 versions, mobile and desktop,the desktop version could be used on a phone,  now it's 'inteligent'.

Supposedly.

A bit like FB and iPhone, can't use fully unless you can get to another part or laptop.