3 minutes ago, PeteN92 said:

After removing Frank and the ground frame I re added the extra lever and painted that black, cut down the original lever and painted it brown and then constructed the housing around the frame from plasticard. Once all this one done I re attached the extra plate that had fallen off and added a foot to it for support made from a cocktail stick. All that was left to do was the put it back in the opposite way round to what I had before and voila.

IMG_20200505_130016.jpg.b2db70b5ecab2d3bb3def599ded2e2de.jpg

IMG_20200505_130537.jpg.2f7a8e42ae4d0d298ec2f3e72fbdfb57.jpg

Cheers again 

Pete 

Point levers realy bring the trackside to life Peter ive done same on few of my layouts over the years...:senile:

2 minutes ago, saxokid said:

Point levers realy bring the trackside to life Peter ive done same on few of my layouts over the years...:senile:

Well my day job is pulling them at Wokingham signalbox so I couldn't be skimping out on putting in all the levers and point rodding on my model railway could I ...

Pete

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PeteN92 said:

Well my day job is pulling them at Wokingham signalbox so I couldn't be skimping out on putting in all the levers and point rodding on my model railway could I ...

Pete

Its little details like this which make layout stand out for me!!

Im realy into detail...

• RMweb Premium
On 03/04/2020 at 23:40, PeteN92 said:

Next up was to paint and build the groundframe that was used for the run around points in the platform. I used a wills kit and found a spare figure which I botched to make him fit the correct pose. 

IMG_20200403_124621.jpg.36d76eedc78a045eb8b81a30d2e41bbc.jpgIMG_20200403_210220.jpg.ecad2298702c22d69bb59efcbc857173.jpgHere is the end result Frank has just pulled the point lever and is about to lock the points with the blue FPL. The purple line on the board shows where the point rodding will soon go to the other end of the crossover. 

But surely you’ve rigged Frank up to the cobalt also so he pivots when the point is switched?  ;)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

But surely you’ve rigged Frank up to the cobalt also so he pivots when the point is switched?  ;)

I mean I do have some spare ones <_<However the mechanics of that may be a step too far. I guess in theory you could put it onto the same switch as the crossover points so they all work in unison, the hard part would be getting Frank to pivot and the lever to move in the frame ? 

Cheers 

Pete 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, PeteN92 said:

After removing Frank and the ground frame I re added the extra lever and painted that black, cut down the original lever and painted it brown and then constructed the housing around the frame from plasticard. Once all this one done I re attached the extra plate that had fallen off and added a foot to it for support made from a cocktail stick. All that was left to do was the put it back in the opposite way round to what I had before and voila.

Cheers again 

Pete 

Looks much better now :-)

But.....top half of release lever should be blue, bottom half brown....colour scheme for release levers in SR period onwards.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PeteN92 said:

I mean I do have some spare ones <_<However the mechanics of that may be a step too far. I guess in theory you could put it onto the same switch as the crossover points so they all work in unison, the hard part would be getting Frank to pivot and the lever to move in the frame ? 

Cheers 

Pete 

Exactly, that’s what I am hoping to see by the weekend please.....:lol:

53 minutes ago, RailWest said:

Looks much better now :-)

But.....top half of release lever should be blue, bottom half brown....colour scheme for release levers in SR period onwards.

Out comes the paint pot again...:lol:

If a jobs worth doing then it's worth doing twice or three times.

50 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Exactly, that’s what I am hoping to see by the weekend please.....:lol:

Yeah you'll be waiting a long time of that's the case haha 

Pete 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, PeteN92 said:

Cheers again 

Pete 

Hi

Very nice work, may I Ask what shade of blue did you use to paint the railway workers overalls 

David 

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi

Very nice work, may I Ask what shade of blue did you use to paint the railway workers overalls 

David 

Hi David 

I painted him years ago and have kept him in the spares box since. It was definitely with citadel colours because I used to do Warhammer 40k. 

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/searchResults?N=3815391097+2401632303+2041751774&Nr=AND(sku.siteId%3AGB_gw%2Cproduct.locale%3Aen_GB_gw)&Nrs=collection()%2Frecord[product.startDate+<%3D+1588702860000+and+product.endDate+>%3D+1588702860000]

That's the link to the games workshop site maybe from eyeballing it the celador blue ?

I know that I dry brushed black over it afterwards hope that might be of help to you. 

Cheers 

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Work has continued on the station forecourt this week. I've managed to get hold of the original SR drawings for the station and the redesign which took place when the station was upgraded. I purchased the digital license for them from the network rail print archives which is a very interesting place to look through. From these drawings I realised that none of them were actually what was built... 

However by using the measurements on one drawing and the scaling the other as well as looking at reference photos Ive managed to get a scale layout for the main station building. More on this to come....

Once I knew the station building size it helped me to reconfigure the forecourt. I ended up cutting out a bit and also reinforcing the whole thing with another layer of plaster bandage so that it was rock solid. Next I put on a layer of DAS clay. 

IMG_20200504_183138.jpg.b04e676c34ff52f8a03c161ff50189f7.jpg

Once that had dried I've added the base layer of pva and sand then have it a spray over with grey primer. The various layers of paint will be added and then rubbed down to give a look similar to the yard but I may create a bit of variation. 

IMG_20200506_194243.jpg.84d8823b3c50e3de6555dffe82e335d7.jpg

I've also completed one of the platform faces this week. I sprayed the top layer of bricks in humbrol red brick then put a wash of cream over the top to get into the cracks. The middle line through the platform was painted cream over the brick colour to get a further variation.

The bottom part was spray cream then I used the brick as well as a brown colour to highlight some of the stones. This then had a light mist of cream again to tone it down. The platform edges were painted by hand in white to make them look weathered.

This platform was measured up for clearance and then stuck down with contact adhesive and left to dry. One down and one more to go.

IMG_20200506_194252.jpg.f0aa374ef7bb527990e3223ad9f4f414.jpg

Cheers 

Pete 

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 05/05/2020 at 13:16, PeteN92 said:

Pete

Takes me back a decade and a half to when I lived in Wokingham and used to marvel at the drivers who thought it was fine to queue on the level crossing next to the station. Might have had the odd wry smile at the look of panic as the lights came on and there was some hasty manoeuvring to get off the crossing!

• Funny 1

8 hours ago, PeteN92 said:

Work has continued on the station forecourt this week. I've managed to get hold of the original SR drawings for the station and the redesign which took place when the station was upgraded. I purchased the digital license for them from the network rail print archives which is a very interesting place to look through. From these drawings I realised that none of them were actually what was built... 

However by using the measurements on one drawing and the scaling the other as well as looking at reference photos Ive managed to get a scale layout for the main station building. More on this to come....

Once I knew the station building size it helped me to reconfigure the forecourt. I ended up cutting out a bit and also reinforcing the whole thing with another layer of plaster bandage so that it was rock solid. Next I put on a layer of DAS clay. 

IMG_20200504_183138.jpg.b04e676c34ff52f8a03c161ff50189f7.jpg

Once that had dried I've added the base layer of pva and sand then have it a spray over with grey primer. The various layers of paint will be added and then rubbed down to give a look similar to the yard but I may create a bit of variation. 

IMG_20200506_194243.jpg.84d8823b3c50e3de6555dffe82e335d7.jpg

I've also completed one of the platform faces this week. I sprayed the top layer of bricks in humbrol red brick then put a wash of cream over the top to get into the cracks. The middle line through the platform was painted cream over the brick colour to get a further variation.

The bottom part was spray cream then I used the brick as well as a brown colour to highlight some of the stones. This then had a light mist of cream again to tone it down. The platform edges were painted by hand in white to make them look weathered.

This platform was measured up for clearance and then stuck down with contact adhesive and left to dry. One down and one more to go.

IMG_20200506_194252.jpg.f0aa374ef7bb527990e3223ad9f4f414.jpg

Cheers 

Pete 

Hi Pete

Looking very good indeed 

David

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Plans and planning

I mentioned in my previous post that I had got hold of a copies of the station building plans. I cropped and resized the images by using my 4mm to the ft scale ruler as well as the measurements on one of the drawings in order to convert the originals to the size I will need. As previously discussed all of the drawings differ slightly from reality so things such as windows and door ways will need to be swapped around. I will only be the shorter part of the station that included the refreshment room and booking hall, the rebuilt waiting rooms and porters offices would have been in the part that I have to omit. 

IMG_20200509_145019.jpg.ab5d53e33213cbe854e312c19736ebd2.jpg

In order to give the impression of the two stories I will cut a hole in the baseboard where I have crossed out and set this part of the board down to the lower floor of the building. The rest of it will sit at baseboard height but you will never see that. Only the end wall will be seen so it will give the impression of the end of the plateau the station was built on. I'll then build the staircase down as well as the slope itself.

678777588_signalboxscan.jpg.fb965a5db0b496fca8dcf44e61500973.jpg

I had found a picture on the internet that someone had hand drawn of Ilfracombe box and having checked it over time and again I had missed the fact that it said it was copied from railway modeller August 1970 so I managed to find a copy off of eBay and there you go Mr P.A. Brown had written an article and drawn the pictures of the box. I have again scanned in the drawings and rescaled them so I now can work from them to scratch build the signalbox. 

814801478_ilfracombeadaptedleverframe.jpg.ebcd17e6d6d7a3f50f5b8e82cae0a214.jpg

Finally I have also been working out the lever frame from the track diagrams that I have of Ilfracombe. There was a 50 lever frame with a number of spares. I have had to omit a couple of levers where I have changed the layout of the shed but for the most part it's not far off what would have actually been there. The descriptions for the levers are my interpretation of what they would have controlled working from the diagram so in reality may have had different wording. This diagram will be useful for me when building the signal box interior as well as planning the rodding runs out of the box. 

Cheers again 

Pete 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Lever 27 would have had a short handle, being an electrical release, and would have been painted top half blue, bottom half brown as with the one in the GF. Incidentally, when the box was new that lever was a spare, as the engine release and GF were not installed until a few years later.

Attached is a 1949 copy of the locking table, so you can get all the descriptions right :-)

Ilfracombe_locking_table_1949.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, RailWest said:

Lever 27 would have had a short handle, being an electrical release, and would have been painted top half blue, bottom half brown as with the one in the GF. Incidentally, when the box was new that lever was a spare, as the engine release and GF were not installed until a few years later.

Attached is a 1949 copy of the locking table, so you can get all the descriptions right :-)

Ilfracombe_locking_table_1949.jpg

Wow that's a wonderful piece of history you own there and very useful for me, thanks for posting it. I'll go ahead and amend my diagram. 

Cheers

Pete 

• Like 2

A little bit more progress for today. With the first platform face I had no issues with cracking or the DAS modelling clay sticking to the plastic platform faces. This second one I've had no end of problems. Possibly it's because I made the layer of clay thinner this time? 

I've had the plaster crack as well as come away from the platforms so I decided to patch it up and then glue the clay onto the plastic bases after keying the surface this finally managed to work and I've now completed the scribing on this platform. 

IMG_20200511_195300.jpg.095595c5b8bfdea541443898bb14ea88.jpg

I also glued down the curb edges in the station forecourt and will need to fill in the backs up to the level to finally get to pavement height. I can then use this to base where I need to bring the station buildings up to.

IMG_20200511_195234.jpg.94ceb0a6d3995ad6346174a0f73084c6.jpg

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 09/05/2020 at 18:41, RailWest said:

Incidentally, when looking at this video....

(see at 3:33), it became clear that the later WR GF had been installed the other way around to the SR original. When using the original 2-lever frame the operator stood with his back to the platform road 'shelter', whereas with the 1-lever later frame he stood with his back to the old signal-box.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The last couple of days have been spent doing odds little jobs while I've been painting the other platform face. Im still not happy with the ground cover so in some places I've added more das clay up to the sleepers and other places I've used sand to ballast them more. There's still some places to be done before I paint over again to blend it all in.

IMG_20200518_221504.jpg.6481ca37b366d9ab8b82dc9305431b9c.jpg

Frank has had the top of the engine release lever painted correctly and I've also painted the point levers in the yard white as per photos that I have of they yard. 

IMG_20200518_221429.jpg.25ca09125c68cf300fde7de795dd508a.jpg

I've joined the concrete platform to the brick platform for the back side of the station so as to show that it starts earlier. The next board where the station will continue will have concrete platforms to give the impression of the extension that took place. The canopy will go as far as this board and I should be moving onto that once I've got the platform in situ. 

IMG_20200518_221439.jpg.51e22fc9ad56eb59ae0a491c0955dd1f.jpg

It just needs one last spray of cream to weather down the bottom bricks and will be fixed into place on the board. 

Cheers 

Pete

• Like 7

Platform down and the carriage sidings painted I posed a few items of rolling stock.

IMG_20200519_201606.jpg.ce59b612531da2d1f68fc9246672bde2.jpg

Overall it's coming together

IMG_20200519_201728.jpg.b4429faf8f447b0eb37bf53e23897424.jpg

View from the buffer stops 

IMG_20200519_201702.jpg.242f52dd923ab8918c47b6d3c0cb988f.jpg

In the yard 

IMG_20200519_201619.jpg.9bc91268bff10b1709ec4ceec6b63bcd.jpg

World's end 

IMG_20200519_201643.jpg.e91e28b030d80b69a51d9ce71f1a584b.jpg

Frank 

Thanks again 

Pete 

• Like 7

I tried to get some modelling done today but it was too hot for my liking. In the morning however I gave the backscene boards a couple of coats of white to lighten things up. The exit road was also given a coat of light brown as a base colour. 

IMG_20200520_180545.jpg.1437e14e16677ead63fce4ad200cb28f.jpg

Cheers 

Pete

• Like 4