Smugglers Lane

vac_basher

Looking nice :) It's always good to see a decent scenic diorama - especially when it's a fairly well known looking location and done well.

As you're looking for suggestions...

Are you going to weather the wall?

How about some people enjoying the beach?

A trickle of a stream under the bridge?

A bit of gloss varnish on the sand near the edge of the board to represent wet sand? (do experiment with this away from the layout first to make sure the technique is right)

How about a signal somewhere along there?

Concrete S&T trunking?

I notice a small gap between the pieces on the second and third arch to the right - perhaps cover that with a small bush?

Have you considered adding a 'blue sky' backscene, or did you intend to take pictures on it outdoors with natural lighting and sky?

Just a few random thoughts that pop through my head - feel free to ignore any or all of the above!

Thank you Cromptonnut. Some good ideas there. B)

I know it needs weathering, but as I'm not very good at doing that I don't want to destroy it just yet. Let me enjoy it for a few weeks first before potentially ruining it :lol:

People & signal were already on my shopping list for when my finances recover.

S&T trunking I will have to look into, because from the photos I've seen there doesn't appear to be any on that section of line. That's odd, isn't it? :unsure:

Great idea about varnishing the sand. I'll have to experiment with that.

Thanks! :)

For weathering - or anything else you may not have much experience in - try it away from the layout first and practice!

Get a sheet of the plastic pattern stone, some Humbrol matt black, and dilute it with some white spirit or paint thinner. Hold the stone sheet upright (as on the layout) and starting from the top downwards, simply scrub the diluted black paint all over, and watch where it settles, taking off any excess if it's pooling in places (again use the brush). Too light? Add a bit of black to the mix and try again. Too dark? Add a bit of white sprit and try again. Then using a very fine brush, dab some dark green tiny spots around the lower stones, then using the big brush (dry it off) to 'spread' the green to look like a bit of moss or fungus - alternatively you can get something like the Woodland Scenics fine ground dried foam or equivalent and put a tiny amount on a teaspoon (make sure it's broken up and not one lump!) and blow it gently towards the wall and see where the bits stick.

The only problem is that you've made the beach - the black will tend to 'pool' at the bottom of the wall so you may find you have to wedge some tissue along the bottom to stop the sand going black, and put a some small stones to represent rocks along the edge if you do get any on the beach.

Whilst I'm at it, the same 'black wash' technique' can be used to tone down ballast. I assume you've painted the sides of the rails?

If you add my suggestion of a signal, why not add an oil stain on the track about a loco length before it? Same "wash" technique, only a slightly darker mix, and more of it in a small area; try it and you'll see what I mean.

I almost always 'black wash' all the walls and trackbeds on my layouts simply because it gets rid of the 'new and shiny' effect that you don't want.

If none of that makes any sense, I'll try doing some later and putting up a picture if you want it.

Morning

This is looking superb sir. I think your right it is lacking a little something. Maybe som dirt? Water stains on the sea wall! Either way it still looks Glorious especially with vacs on it. Heres a few shots I thought you might like. The boy with shorts on with Sir Eddy passing is me!

Cheers

Mark

If none of that makes any sense, I'll try doing some later and putting up a picture if you want it.

Makes perfect sense Cromptonnut! I'll give it a go during the next few days. I didn't realize you had to thin the paint down for weathering. Thanks for explaining that :)

Nice pics 50033 B)

I think you're in the one of 50044 too, aren't you? You can just see your head and shoulders sticking out the wall.

Do you know which the ONSE one is? 50018 maybe?

Thanks for the nice comment 43179

and, even though I'm not quite finished, I'm going to take this opportunity to also thank everybody else who has commented, helped and encouraged me with this project. I couldn't have done it without yous. :)

Yep, undiluted paint covers - and a thin wash (think of watercolour painting) adds a see-through 'cover' - the thinner the paint, the more translucent the cover.

Generally you'd want it fairly thin - more like add paint to white spirit rather than the other way round - and as i said before, if you find one coat is too translucent, add a bit more paint and go over it again.

You'll probably find a thinnish brown/black mix works best for ballast and walls - but don't overdo it! Remember also it'll change shade a little as it dries, hence the suggestion of doing a bit of scrap stone plastic sheet and leave it overnight to see what happens. Remember gravity will pull the mix down to the bottom so don't overdo it otherwise you'll find pools of paint drying in corners you don't want them - and of course don't touch it until it's dry otherwise you'll get fingerprints ruining your work!

If you don't have an airbrush, a very thin black/brown wash over rolling stock just to take the 'model plastic shine' off can be quite effective - again try on an old item you don't want first just in case!

Unfortunately, I don't have the virtue of being a very consistent modeler. I may work 10 hours a day on something for a few days, then not touch it for some weeks. :mellow:

In fact, during the past few days I haven't done anything at all on Smugglers Lane. I'll have a go at the weathering soon though.... :D

In the meantime here are a few more pics.

post-4688-127513933792.jpg

That's the Kernow ViTrains class 37417, on ECC wagons returning to St Blazey :P

post-4688-127513935808.jpg

Valliant & Thunderer (minus nameplates, which I've been meaning to fit for ages!)

post-4688-127513938239.jpg

50008 & 50015 again. Valiant isn't the standard Hornby release. It's a professional respray that I had done a few years ago.

Just been messing around with my camera a bit this afternoon (well anything's a good excuse to get the old Vacs out :D ). Surprisingly I think I got some quite good shots....

I'll probably have another go tomorrow when the daylight's better.

I've really got to finish putting the rocks in place....

post-4688-127515831087.jpg

50040 crosses Smugglers Bridge. The reason this one hasn't got any nameplates yet is because I'm undecided if I should go for Centurion or Leviathan, although with the number in the headcode it should really be the former.

post-4688-12751583265.jpg

This one's for 50033 I tried to make it look a bit like your pic of the original NSE Vac coming out the tunnel ;)

post-4688-127515839327.jpg

50036 rushes towards Exeter, and beyond.... (again, another one of my 99% finished models, awaiting nameplates - which I've got. It's just a question of fitting them :huh: )

post-4688-127515840948.jpg

50032 encounters 50040

post-4688-127515844484.jpg

50042 (again, no nameplates fitted yet :unsure: ) I really like this shot. I think I might submit this one to the "your most realistic models topic" B) :)

post-4688-127515846015.jpg

I'm very pleased with this pic too. Messing with the manual focus on my camera I discovered it's possible to keep the whole depth of the photo in focus, and I think that helps the pics to look much more realistic.

post-4688-127515847203.jpg

This is the most recent Hoover I've bought. 50040. I still haven't got round to detailing the bufferbeam, yet....

post-4688-127515848736.jpg

50040 again....

post-4688-127515850291.jpg

I'm not sure if this one should actually have a red bufferbeam or not. I'll have to check my pics.... :mellow:

post-4688-127515851963.jpg

50019 on departmental duties.

post-4688-127515853476.jpg

50008 & 50015 again. Now that they've done 50015 (mine's a repaint), I wouldn't be at all surprised if Hornby do 50008 next year :lol:

post-4688-12751585511.jpg

50032 with blue nameplates, yellow axle boxes and yellow springs :D

P.S.: To those of you who's internet is slow, apologies if there are too many pics in this topic. Oh, and apologies to those of you who don't like Vacs.... ;)

Thanks Western. :)

Actually, it's a shame I don't have a Western in my collection at the moment, as a Western would look hellfire along the seawall :D

In the meantime, a few more pics (the focus could have been slighty better on these <_< ).

post-4688-127531220524.jpg

50040 (You can see I've added some more rocks, which came from my friends driveway - the look on his face when I asked if I could take a pocket full of stones :lol: I'll need to go back for more as a pocketfull weren't enough).

post-4688-127531222058.jpg

50026 bursts out of Parsons Tunnel

post-4688-127531223768.jpg

post-4688-127531225119.jpg

Are ye bored with my class 50's yet? :P ;)

Guest jim s-w

Not at all!

Out of interest are you planning to 'fix' them?

By that I mean sort the winscreens, replace the bodyside grills, lower them on their bogies and fit the proper sized wheels? Apparently there's a fair bit wrong with the roof too but the ones I listed are the things that really stand out to me - especially with the low angles your set-up gives you.

Cheers

Jim

cool.gif Keep the pictures coming , and thats a quality avatar yourve got too biggrin.gif - i couldnt find a 'hoover' logo as good as that for mine...

Funny enough in these pictures , the grilles stand out , but the original Hornby windscreens look ok .

Im tempted to try a similar little layout - as a tester for scenery - great stuff

tfn

Jon

Jim, at first I thought you were referring to the missing nameplates on some of them :lol:

Jim & Jon,

I've seen some "fixed" Vacs on here (not sure if they're yours or not) and although they look better I really can't even consider ###### (pimp my ride/pimp my Vac :D ) mine, because if I do one I'll have to do them all - and I have 20+ of them (and my fleet is still growing! :lol: )

However, I do plan to do one fixed Vac in the future (possibly an unrefurbished one, or maybe 50010 in large logo with the blue roof, as that one is a smashing livery but doesn't fit in the time period of my main layout). I really want to see how accurate I can get it.

Also, as Jon says, I find the windscreens quite acceptable. I really can't see much improvement with the windscreen modification. :huh:

To my eyes it's the grills that really let it down. From a marketing point of view I can understand why they did the grills: "moveable louvers" :P It was quite a novelty back in 2003 (my goodness, 7 years already? :blink: ) when the Hornby Vacs came out. But from a modeling point of view I think the grills are totally rubbish and look nothing like what they're supposed to. :angry:

You're probably aware that there's somebody on here doing after market grills. I haven't tried them, for the same reason that I previously mentioned, plus allot of my Vacs are repaints so I would imagine it would be very difficult to match the colours. If I had of known about the replacement grills when I begun having mine repainted then it would have been a different story.... :(

More pics for you during the next few days ;)

P.S.: That's funny. The automatic forum censor that doesn't show swear words has censored p-i-m-p-e-d :lol:

Keep the pictures coming

Well then.... ;) :P

post-4688-127542613076.jpg

Withdrawn 50026 makes it's final trip north to the Mid Hants Railway. ;)

post-4688-127542614259.jpg

Dutch tractor on sealions (I don't like the snowploughs on that 37. I will have to do something about that :huh: )

post-4688-127542616769.jpg

50032 encounters 37035

post-4688-127542618371.jpg

I quite like this pic.

Not too happy with these pics. I want my locos to look real, like in the pic of 50042 I took the other day. :mellow:

These will be the last pics for a while. The kitchen table has reverted to it's original purpose, so I've had to put everything away :angry: . Mind you, one of the things that's good about such a small layout is that it's easy/quick to get it out the way if the need be.

Once I've finished the current projects I have underway (surprise surprise, a couple more Vacs :D ) and when funds permit I hope to be able to add a Western, a Warship, and possibly a HST to my collection.....

post-4688-127577081172.jpg

It's going to be a long way to Skipton..... :huh:

post-4688-127577083157.jpg

Defiance on CDA's heading towards St Blazey

post-4688-127577085227.jpg

50149 again

post-4688-127577086361.jpg

I cheated a bit with the photo. I added the lights in photoshop, as I don't have the diorame wired up (is there any point in wiring up 2 yards of track?). The (cigar) smoke in all my pics is real though.

post-4688-127577087918.jpg

post-4688-12757708932.jpg

This could have been a nice photo, but there's something not quite right with the way the coach is sitting. :unsure:

post-4688-127577090683.jpg

Resolution heads towards Exeter.

post-4688-127577092429.jpg

Did this beast ever make it to the West Country?

I love those latest pics with the smoke effect, I always remember the 50s could be quite smokey. biggrin.gif Unless of course its a bit of sea mist, either way it looks great.

Cheers Peter,

Looking good Vac_basher, I especially like the photo where you have added the lights, Superb! Seeing all your Hoovers makes me want to go out and buy one!

I remember many a happy Network Day riding behind Hoovers on Waterloo to Exeter and Paddington to Oxford services! Good times…..

Archived