Removal of Weathering (Acrylic Paint + Klear)

• RMweb Gold

I have acquired a Hornby T9 4-4-0 which is not the best of runners; possibly needs a replacement motor mounting - Mazak issue?

The loco and tender body had apparently received a coat of Johnson's Klear floor polish and on top of that has been weathered with Acrylic paint!

Would any member be conversant with a method which would remove all this tack, yet leave the original paintwork, lining, numbers and crests intact and unblemished. I know it's a tall order and were it not for the lining, I would probably try and respray the whole ensemble. 

I had considered another loco and tender body from an online seller, but what with the running issue to be resolved, it could be "beyond economical repair".

Failing all this, the existing weathering could possibly be "enhanced" somewhat and the model utilsed as a withdrawn example quietly rusting away.

Hi,

You could try Tamiya acrylic paint thinners. Use a cotton bud soaked in thinners. Best applied and left for a moment or two before rubbing to see if it comes off.

Word of caution though. I have no idea about Hornby lining but I use this method to remove factory numbering.

HTH

Stu

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) will remove the acrylic paint and the Klear, but you would need to know where the Klear finished and the original paint started, because it would remove that, too! You ask a lot, but it's not impossible. Whether the amount of care and work required would justify the end result, only you can judge. Use a cotton bud dipped, not plunged, into the IPA and rub gently a small area at a time. When the cotton bud starts to show evidence of the original colour, move on to another area.

It would be good to see a before and after photograph. ;)

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Spelling error/finger trouble.

Not having seen the model in question, it's difficult to make recommendations, but I'd be tempted to put the locomotive and tender bodies in the dishwasher, and give the frames and the mechanism a bath in alcohol.

• RMweb Premium

Just check that it is Klear if you can. Depending on which version it is ..the formulation has changed means that taking it off can require different approaches.

IPA and some Hornby Lining don't always agree with each other so try any solution you use in a place not easily noticeable. (Is the tender front plate coated as, being black you can repaint that if required).

Baz

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I recently tested my T9 and found Mazak rot in both the main motor mount and rear bracket which surprisingly is also cast. Both replaced from Peters Spares parts. It's fiddly replacing the rear bracket as the delicate motor wire to bottom motor terminal requires removing thrn resoldering.

Can't help with the weathering issue though.

• Thanks 1

We used to use Klear for its intended purpose when our office had a vinyl floor, after a couple of weeks the cleaners mopping would have removed most if it and it would need re-applying so a scrub in hot soapy water may work.

• Thanks 1

I have heard that ammonia will remove Klear but I don't know what it would do to the underlying paintwork.

This old thread suggests that quite a dilute solution (1:20) will still work and not damage the underlying paintwork.

Edited by Karhedron
  • Thanks 1