BR Class 08 & Class 11 Diesels

hartleymartin

Hi everyone! I was hoping that someone could give me a bit of a run-down on the differences between the Class 08 "Gronk" and the Class 11 diesels.

The reason for this is that the Victorian Railways F class diesel shunters were supplied by English Electric and were essentially the Class 11 built to 5'3" Broad Gauge, and then modified with side-plates for shunting. Whilst I am primarily a NSW Railways standard gauge modeller, I have considered the possibility of converting the Dapol 7mm scale 08 diesel into an F class and perhaps contriving some sort of gauge-conversion or fictitious sell-off to a private operator.

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, hartleymartin said:

Hi everyone! I was hoping that someone could give me a bit of a run-down on the differences between the Class 08 "Gronk" and the Class 11 diesels.

The reason for this is that the Victorian Railways F class diesel shunters were supplied by English Electric and were essentially the Class 11 built to 5'3" Broad Gauge, and then modified with side-plates for shunting. Whilst I am primarily a NSW Railways standard gauge modeller, I have considered the possibility of converting the Dapol 7mm scale 08 diesel into an F class and perhaps contriving some sort of gauge-conversion or fictitious sell-off to a private operator.

Hi Martin

Most significant issue is driving wheel diameter - 4ft half an inch on class 11, 4ft 6 inch on 08/9

Brakes - no train brakes on class 11 - most but not all 08s vac fitted, 09s dual fitted

And as always there will be detailed differences between class members but beware photos of preserved examples as changes eg addition of brakes have been made

CHeers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

It's not just the driving wheel diameter, lots of other dimensions changed when BR specified larger wheels for the 08 - mainly for clearance reasons on SR electrified lines but they did give a higher top speed. The more obvious difference is the cab profile, much less rounded in the standard EE design which is what your Victorian ones are. We are very slowly working on an accurate kit for the class 11.

Mike and Judith Edge

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

To add to Michaels's and Phil's comments.

Due to the smaller wheels, the running plate is lower, the buffer beam is different as the buffers are set higher on the lower beam. The battery box is longer. All the engine room doors are a different size to a BR standard 350. When built no windscreen wipers, a few ER locos received them later. Only two lights front and rear, again a few ER locos had four lights later with a different conduit run. Cab handrails were mounted on handrail knobs, again a few ER locos towards the end of their lives had 08 type handrails. Rectangular front windows, the bottom didn't slope downwards following the contour of the fuel tank. As Michael says the cab roof was a shallower profile which in turn made the cab sides deeper. 

• Informative/Useful 2

It may be the case that I just do a "look-alike" or "near-enough" conversion of the RTR model since I am not really a Victorian Railways man, but I thought it might make a fun project. Most VR O gauge is done in 1:48 scale anyway. Australia has a long history of break-of-gauge, and unfortunately, we have perpetuated it with having both 7mm and 1/4" scale for O gauge!