Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

new 70s- 80s br blue layout build

o gauge nut

Great collection of locos'  Its just my sort of thing and era to a 'T' I'm really hoping somebody do's some RTR  'lekkies as well,  i might do mine as a 1500v layout one day if someone could do a RTR  cl.76 or two.:crazy: Keep on saving up and the collecting. :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Great collection of locos'  Its just my sort of thing and era to a 'T' I'm really hoping somebody do's some RTR  'lekkies as well,  i might do mine as a 1500v layout one day if someone could do a RTR  cl.76 or two.:crazy: Keep on saving up and the collecting. :)

You’ll like this then 

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

hi all thought i would show an update on the new steps down to the station. 

well  at least we might get a few passengers down on the platform now 

and i have decided on the number for the new class 47 . that i will name and number and weather for your amusement  

20190220_153221.jpg

20190220_153236.jpg

• Like 3

Yes I would but Overhead Electrics but would install catenary.  Electrification came late to the Braintree branch but I had toyed with the idea of pretending it was installed in 1962 with the rest of the line from Chelmsford to Colchester and Clacton. 

Paul R

I've not come across any. I would personally make my own from steel sections and piano wire. We did this for a dutch layout in the 80's. Groundbreaking at the time.

You could always search  the Gauge O Guild product directory although even if it is listed it doenst mean that its available!

Paul r

2 hours ago, pwr said:

I've not come across any. I would personally make my own from steel sections and piano wire. We did this for a dutch layout in the 80's. Groundbreaking at the time.

You could always search  the Gauge O Guild product directory although even if it is listed it doenst mean that its available!

Paul r

thanks paul i will have a look as i would have though thay would be a pain to scratch build.

i am considering a class 86 kit from prmrp  but imagine that would be a pain i to build as well 

i do love my ready to run locos

terry

Edited by o gauge nut

Brian Daniels has been building an 86 on his Thread page. Having tried a PRMRP kit myself (Class 14 - & still not finished after nearly 10 years!) I'd say they are, er... 'challenging', especially if you're not used to etched brass kits. It certainly put me off. Some in O Scale think R-T-R is 'dumbing down' the scale. I'm rather glad of it, myself.

29 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Brian Daniels has been building an 86 on his Thread page. Having tried a PRMRP kit myself (Class 14 - & still not finished after nearly 10 years!) I'd say they are, er... 'challenging', especially if you're not used to etched brass kits. It certainly put me off. Some in O Scale think R-T-R is 'dumbing down' the scale. I'm rather glad of it, myself.

yes built a couple of brass kits before but they have not turned out to good and spent most of my time trying to get them to run well and buy the time you have bought gear box motor paint ect ect  they work out expensive.

i found that the JLTRT kits superb  to build but also work out very  very expensive  . so im more than happy with my Heljan and Dapol and it leaves more time to build layout.

ps i will have a look at the brian daniels thread  he is the master...

Edited by o gauge nut
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

RTR is dumbing down O gauge...well, that creates another layer of contempt in the scale. its hard enough to get along with some people already without adding that to their ammunition stockpile. However, without dumbing it down, i would still be doing OO gauge, and none of my loco's will be stock out of the box anyway. Brass O gauge diesel loco's have been far from accurate, so i am glad for the plastic loco's, as can be seen on my 33, with the addition of some improved details, they can look fantastic.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, pwr said:

Yes I would but Overhead Electrics but would install catenary.  Electrification came late to the Braintree branch but I had toyed with the idea of pretending it was installed in 1962 with the rest of the line from Chelmsford to Colchester and Clacton. 

Paul R

Rule 1, its your layout, so if electrification happened earlier and you want to run electrics, you can :)

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, 47606odin said:

RTR is dumbing down O gauge...well, that creates another layer of contempt in the scale. its hard enough to get along with some people already without adding that to their ammunition stockpile. 

Can I just reiterate that it wasn't my opinion that R-T-R is dumbing down O Scale, but I have come across those who do think that, & yes contempt was a good description of their attitude.

It's similar to the "If it's O Scale then it MUST be expensive!" attitude that is most prevalent these days when you look at second-hand prices, as thankfully manufacturers like Minerva & Dapol are blowing that theory out of the water for new products :good:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I totally agree  as with my first attempt  at 7mm  i went down the road of kit building and found it very frustrating that i could not build  and paint the kits to the standard that i wanted  and no were near the standard of some of the people who build and paint and repaint on here. i 

i do understand  that for a lot of modelers this is the fun part. thats great if you have the ability  and the patience .

but for me  i like to save my pennies   and buy one ready to run straight out the box.

also i think it has bought a lot more people over to the 7mm  side witch is good as it  keeps new models  cumming out and prices down as its a competative  market now with all the new manufactures 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3