The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Rugby Union

tigerburnie

We have a thread for soccer, not sure why we don't have a rugby one, 6 Nations weekend where the title might well becoming clearer, Wales have beaten Scotland with a competent performance, now England look like setting out a position that if Ireland upset the apple cart and beat Wales next week, points difference could still see an upset. Not the greatest of quality, but the tension is there for all to enjoy and with a World Cup later this year, intriguing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

It's a game and a very good one. Loved playing when I was younger, fitter and robust enough to stand up to it. Hopefully those currently playing are finding equal or better enjoyment.

Personally I would hate to see it descend into the hellish money and celebrity mania of Soccer, that has stripped all the joy out of kicking a round ball about.

• Agree 4

15 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

It's a game and a very good one. Loved playing when I was younger, fitter and robust enough to stand up to it. Hopefully those currently playing are finding equal or better enjoyment.

Personally I would hate to see it descend into the hellish money and celebrity mania of Soccer, that has stripped all the joy out of kicking a round ball about.

Sadly I think it already is, it seems the money spinners are in control.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Sadly I think it already is, it seems the money spinners are in control.

The transfer to full professionalism has been poorly handled throughout the rugby world. Only France and England really have the financial resources to make it work and even in those two countries some clubs have had their problems.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm with you on the idea of this forum, despite like Tiger being a follower of his namesake team who are having a pretty disastrous season. The six nations is quite interesting this year and next weekend I will be cheering on Ireland (without wishing them a bonus point of course) and England for both the Calcutta Cup and the possibility that with Ireland's help the overall trophy may still be within their grasp.

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'm with you on the idea of this forum, despite like Tiger being a follower of his namesake team who are having a pretty disastrous season. The six nations is quite interesting this year and next weekend I will be cheering on Ireland (without wishing them a bonus point of course) and England for both the Calcutta Cup and the possibility that with Ireland's help the overall trophy may still be within their grasp.

Dave

I fully applaud your support for your favoured team, just a little confused that your avatar is quite clearly a Welsh dragon :) 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I fully applaud your support for your favoured team, just a little confused that your avatar is quite clearly a Welsh dragon :) 

As Dave4759 states, my avatar doesn't have any legs. It is, in fact, a wyvern and is a copy of the Midland Railway's shipping flag. But you aren't the first to think of it as a Welsh dragon.

Dave

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

...doesn't have any legs. It is, in fact, a wyvern and is a copy of the Midland Railway's shipping flag...

Masters of Spin, session 1.

Paint an attractive image of your product or service that is both misleading and accurate. Looks great but the lack of legs represents the power supplied by a 2F 0-6-0 that cannot achieve 15mph.

(How did we get here from Rugby? Oh yes, very slowly.)

37 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Masters of Spin, session 1.

Paint an attractive image of your product or service that is both misleading and accurate. Looks great but the lack of legs represents the power supplied by a 2F 0-6-0 that cannot achieve 15mph.

(How did we get here from Rugby? Oh yes, very slowly.)

You're casting dispersions.  In the manner of an Australian prop, they could achieve a fair lick of speed.  They just failed in their primary purpose - holding up a scrum / pulling more than a brake van.

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, bbishop said:

You're casting dispersions.  In the manner of an Australian prop, they could achieve a fair lick of speed.  They just failed in their primary purpose - holding up a scrum / pulling more than a brake van.

Bill

In reverse...

• RMweb Premium

To get back to rugby - is it just me or are scrums these days incomprehensibly refereed? As a one time No. 8 I thought I knew the rules of the scrum fairly well but no longer.....

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

To get back to rugby - is it just me or are scrums these days incomprehensibly refereed? As a one time No. 8 I thought I knew the rules of the scrum fairly well but no longer.....

Dave

There's your problem. Anyone who thinks they know what happens in a scrum doesn't understand the question.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

8 hours ago, john dew said:

Straight put ins would be a start! A relaxed approach to lineout throws is creeping in now.

It's long been the case that the international game is refereed rather differently from the mainstream. And certainly differences between northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere officials.

What should happen before any match (and does in my local referees' society), is that the referee has a talk with both captains, the scrum leader and the front row and tells them what he is expecting. And then apply it equally.

Back in my playing days (a very long time ago now), I used to hate seeing a referee arrive who had clearly spent his playing days as a back. They never had a clue about what was going on in the scrum.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Back in my playing days (a very long time ago now), I used to hate seeing a referee arrive who had clearly spent his playing days as a back. They never had a clue about what was going on in the scrum.

Agreed. I once had a referee who was quite a small guy and started off by getting the two packs together to tell us, "Just because you're all big blokes, don't think you can get away with anything," and then proceeded to penalise the forwards for the slightest perceived infringement, most of which were in his fevered imagination. Turned out he had been a winger who had once been hospitalised by a tackle from a forward and still bore the (mental) scars.

Dave

PS, I still think it was a mistake to allow 'climbing' in the lineout.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed........ what are the thoughts on the omission of Joe C?

I have read elsewhere that it was because he is somewhat vulnerable defensively and the Scottish wingers are quite swift. Although he would make a great impact “ finisher”  he can only cover two positions as an injury sub.

I do feel sorry for Robson.....he seems to be very unlucky.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Fellow rugger-buqqers -

On behalf of those of us in different time zones, may I make a plea for no early spoilers following this weekend's internationals? As they take place in the middle of our night I usually record them and watch them the following morning.

Ta!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 14/03/2019 at 20:18, john dew said:

I have read elsewhere that it was because he is somewhat vulnerable defensively and the Scottish wingers are quite swift. Although he would make a great impact “ finisher”  he can only cover two positions as an injury sub.

I would have played him on the basis that his attacking capabilities far exceed any defensive vulnerabilities in my opinion.  Jack Nowell is capable, works hard, but lacks the X-factor that Cokanasiga and Jonny May have.

• Agree 2

On 14/03/2019 at 20:18, john dew said:

I would have played him on the basis that his attacking capabilities far exceed any defensive vulnerabilities in my opinion.  Jack Nowell is capable, works hard, but lacks the X-factor that Cokanasiga and Jonny May have.