RMweb

Rugby Union

tigerburnie

I enjoyed both matches, a good opening day to the tournament. I certainly wouldn't say England were poor, but their long-standing structural problems haven't gone away. They need a proper #12 so that the JVP/Smith and Farrell/Youngs half-back pairings can show what they can do, plus keep the back line in shape. That player simply doesn't appear to be available for selection. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Re6/6 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the France v Italy game.

What an improvement in the Azzuri.

Yep, it's not unusual to see nearly sixty points scored in a France-Italy game, just that usually fifty are scored by the French.

• Like 3

Farrell should either be benched, dropped or given a proper outing at #10 to settle the matter (its instructive here that Farrell didnt play as a #10 for Lions either). Since Borthwick has nailed his colours to that particular mast, that means Option Three. If Farrell leads the team to defeat fro. #10 next week, he will have to go (and increasing numbers of commentators are voicing similar suggestions) 

Smith doesn't have the experience to run the game. That means he gets the bench. 

Youngs is now a liability with his aimless kicking away of possession. He came into a tight game and gave the ball away repeatedly, never looked like scoring. 

Really the blame for all this rests squarely with the RFU. Eddie Jones was the right man after 2015, but even he couldn't surmount the chronic lack of skills development in the Prem. SA play the same style with better execution. 

Jones has a long reputation for squeezing the best out of almost any side, less of a reputation for development. He also has a considerable talent for handling "difficult" players, like Hartley, Farrell and Genge. Thats why we have seen the constant revolving door of players, because its what Jones does. RFU should have let him go after 2019 RWC, which quite a lot of people said at the time. 

Under the circumstances, the two seats at Twickenham next week i bought for less than half the price of the Scotland game could prove a bargain!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 05/02/2023 at 09:18, tigerburnie said:

I can't go out now the neighbours will be ribbing me all year lol

Oh dear, that's three years now you haven't been able to go out!  Can't be healthy staying indoors all the time!

• Funny 5

7 hours ago, Torper said:

Oh dear, that's three years now you haven't been able to go out!  Can't be healthy staying indoors all the time!

It's ok I support Scotland in all the other games so sure I'll have something to cheer, I reckon they'll beat Wales lol.

• Like 3

Announced that the rest of the Tigers coaching team are leaving at the end of the season and joining England, just hope the club has everything in hand, I guess our season is over before it had a chance to get going, makes me wonder who knew what when the likes of Genge and Ford left/

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Announced that the rest of the Tigers coaching team are leaving at the end of the season and joining England, just hope the club has everything in hand, I guess our season is over before it had a chance to get going, makes me wonder who knew what when the likes of Genge and Ford left/

It has been no particular secret for a long while that the RFU wanted Borthwick as Jones' replacement. SB seems to have let the cat out of the bag, at least as far as its ears by his reference to "looking at the team in the autumn", which seems to mean that he was involved in some sort of study, several months ago.

Any interview for the post would have included a detailed presentation by SB regarding his proposed actions. This would have to be discussed within RFU. The idea that Bill Sweeney suddenly concluded "this Jones chap must go" doesn't bear any sort of scrutiny.

I don't know much about the inner workings of professional rugby but I do know about working in a competitive contract-work environment. There was wide-spread speculation about Jones' future, and he seems to have made his next transition with great speed. I'd say that for those immediately involved in the matter, and to a fair extent those in the zone affected by it, it was all fairly clear some time ago - probably after the very disappointing 6N 

17 hours ago, MJI said:

Worcester Warriors mens no more.

New owners not paying wages and merging with a small team.

I think "buying their place in the league" is a better description than "merging". Though given Stourbridge are likely to drop out of the national leagues this year (they are 13 points adrift at the bottom of National 2 West) it's going to be a long haul back to the Championship from there.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

My understanding is that the members of Stourbridge who own the club are likely to reject the move

One lives in hope.

Worcester Wasps anyone?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

How come the Welsh*, Scots, Irish, French and Italians are quite capable of singing their National Anthems but the English need some Prima Donna soprano.

* Alright, the Welsh have a male voice choir or two but that’s traditional and adds too rather than detracts.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BoD said:

How come the Welsh*, Scots, Irish, French and Italians are quite capable of singing their National Anthems but the English need some Prima Donna soprano.

* Alright, the Welsh have a male voice choir or two but that’s traditional and adds too rather than detracts.

Or more to the point, isn't it high time the England rugby and football teams adopted their own anthem instead of appropriating our awful dirge of a national anthem?

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Bon Accord said:

Or more to the point, isn't it high time the England rugby and football teams adopted their own anthem instead of appropriating our awful dirge of a national anthem?

Land of hope and glory please Sir.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1