The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Rugby Union

tigerburnie

• RMweb Gold

A few penalties showing a lack of ambition from England taking the 3 rather than going for the try.  Given the odds of England pulling off a slam are slim, and the likelihood is the tournament will be decided on points, failure to get a bonus point (and the conceding that additional 7 at the death) will hurt England I think 

It's the beginning of a new era for England and Wales, Italy too have a new coach and some new players, four years to the next World Cup, so plenty of time for them to build. France were the big losers this weekend, they peaked for the last world cup, failed and look to be in some trouble, Ireland looked in charge.

• Agree 1

I’ve always maintained that the first round games of the 6 Nations do not portray the real strengths of the competitors. A side losing in their first game can potentially go on to win the competition, even if they will not complete a grand slam. However, I think the games from this weekend give a clear indication of who will come out on top.

• Agree 1

I've just caught the dying moments of the Italy/England game on video. What was that about? 

It seems to be some sort of role-play exercise for captaincy training ..... "your team is 10 points ahead. The clock is red. You cannot achieve the bonus point. Your scrum is not consistently dominant and you have not scored a try from the pack. You have several subs on who have only played a few minutes and a total of five players earning their first cap. 

You are awarded a kickable penalty. 

What do you do?"

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

What do you do?"

I have not seen the England match, so don't know what happened, but in those circumstances, I would run it.  Kicking it would not change the position but running it would show the hunger for a try.

Roddy

2 hours ago, Roddy Angus said:

I have not seen the England match, so don't know what happened, but in those circumstances, I would run it.  Kicking it would not change the position but running it would show the hunger for a try.

Roddy

That's what they did. Chose to scrummage, trird to run. Lost possession and gave away a soft try. 

Kick the penalty would be the correct answer. Kick it over the sideline and you must contest a lineout. Scrummage and.... well, see yesterday. Kick the penalty and assuming the ball crosses the back line, which it normally does then the game is over. 

Minimal risk, increased points difference (which may be valuable later) and no losing bonus point for the opposition. 

You only run the ball when the clock is red, if you have nothing to lose and/or are confident you can score. Neither of those applied. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I've just caught the dying moments of the Italy/England game on video. What was that about? 

It seems to be some sort of role-play exercise for captaincy training ..... "your team is 10 points ahead. The clock is red. You cannot achieve the bonus point. Your scrum is not consistently dominant and you have not scored a try from the pack. You have several subs on who have only played a few minutes and a total of five players earning their first cap. 

You are awarded a kickable penalty. 

What do you do?"

given that the final table will more likely than not end up based on points difference, going for the 7 was probably the right call at that stage.  

I’d disagree with some of the 3 points they went for earlier in the match but when we should have been going for the 4 try bonus.

Given the reluctance to go for the try earlier in the game, it did seem a bit of an odd shout to flip it around at the death.   That said, second half England were a lot more dominant, so perhaps they took their eye off the ball a bit more and forgot the pressure Italy had been applying in the first.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

England - appalling (still) - more work to do especially defensively - had Allan not missed his first penalty (late in the 2nd half) in 19 (?) attempts - it could well have been a draw - however Tommy Freeman looks a very exciting prospect again.

Italy - looking resurgent and that can only be good for the competition as a whole after many calls for them to be replaced.

Wales / Scotland - what a GREAT game for the neutral.

Ireland / France - seems the French just didn't fancy it on the day.

Think England will have to work hard to get better than fifth place this year

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Another sad day for rugby fans whatever their nationality. At the time I never understood why he retired so young but as an Englishman was glad he did….and then along came Phil Bennett.

• Agree 5

5 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

given that the final table will more likely than not end up based on points difference, going for the 7 was probably the right call at that stage.  

I’d disagree with some of the 3 points they went for earlier in the match but when we should have been going for the 4 try bonus.

Given the reluctance to go for the try earlier in the game, it did seem a bit of an odd shout to flip it around at the death.   That said, second half England were a lot more dominant, so perhaps they took their eye off the ball a bit more and forgot the pressure Italy had been applying in the first.

England had already shipped two tries through basic defense mistakes. They had also fallen into another common problem - exerting long periods of pressure without managing to score points. They have lacked finishing ability for a long time and on this showing, still do. 

Going for the try made no sense. They couldn't achieve the bonus point and were not scoring reliably either from the backs, or the forwards. They couldn't lose but could, and did give Italy the opportunity to score. 

The only sensible thing to do in overtime, is to end the game as quickly as possible if you are ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If I thought Friday night’s game was going to be the grand slam decider, I’’m now thinking that England v Italy probably decided the wooden spoon.

Looks like the early predictions from pundits have all been shredded. OK, not all, the ones who predicted Ireland finishing top, of which there were not many, will be quite smug this morning.

France were supposed to be all fired up ready to put World Cup disappointments behind them and with home games in front of provincial crowds be unbeatable. Hmmm.

England were many people's tip, but title contenders don't usually give Italy a sniff.

Italy were most people's nailed on prediction for the wooden spoon, but maybe not.

All good fun.

43 minutes ago, whart57 said:

Looks like the early predictions from pundits have all been shredded. OK, not all, the ones who predicted Ireland finishing top, of which there were not many, will be quite smug this morning.

France were supposed to be all fired up ready to put World Cup disappointments behind them and with home games in front of provincial crowds be unbeatable. Hmmm.

England were many people's tip, but title contenders don't usually give Italy a sniff.

Italy were most people's nailed on prediction for the wooden spoon, but maybe not.

All good fun.

I can't recall the last time j heard so much bring read into a zchoolbkoy mistake 

2 hours ago, whart57 said:

All good fun.

On that showing Italy are the most improved performers, England used a get out of jail card in Rome, they so easily may have lost that game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

On that showing Italy are the most improved performers, England used a get out of jail card in Rome, they so easily may have lost that game.

That get out of jail card will probably be enough to beat Scotland and Wales, but winning a slam will require beating both Ireland and France which looks unlikely based on the evidence. Winning the title alone will require someone stopping Ireland getting the slam, and they have France disposed of already.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, whart57 said:

England were many people's tip,

Where?  Who?

I don't recall many tipping England.

• Agree 1