The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Christchurch NZ terrorist attack

Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

What can any of us say? NZ is widely regarded as a beautiful and tranquil but civilised place. This event is off any known scale of rational behaviour, and it is awful that atrocities of this sort are now pervading Oceania. 

Awfully sad for you, Kiwis. 

• Agree 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you both. New Zealand has always been one of the safest places in the world. I left England when I was 6 and watched with horror the attacks on the London Underground, thinking nothing like that could ever happen here. Now it has it has shaken every kiwi to the core. 

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

All those affected, in what ever way, are in my prayers. All faiths are peaceful but sadly some followers twist that peace into hate which is totally wrong and very sad. 

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Thank you both. New Zealand has always been one of the safest places in the world. I left England when I was 6 and watched with horror the attacks on the London Underground, thinking nothing like that could ever happen here. Now it has it has shaken every kiwi to the core. 

Indeed a shock.  The Deans Ave shooting is just where for many years I used to run my labx dog ans is a beautiful area. 

The main perpetrator seems to be more a nutter than anything specific, and chose his soft target for anti-Islamic 'action'. 

That he was able to buy a semi automatic legally in NZ is sad, he has no profile at all on anti-terror data bases.

It makes me very sad.  Not surprised, nor even perplexed, just sad, and my heart goes out to all the victims. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

5 hours ago, robmcg said:

The main perpetrator seems to be more a nutter than anything specific, and chose his soft target for anti-Islamic 'action'. 

I think it's deeper than that. Experts who have examined the manifesto, the inscriptions on the gun and the music playing during the live stream are suggesting it was as calculated as Breivik. I won't go into the specifics here as they are utterly vile.

I have to say I am seriously impressed by how your PM has handled this tragedy, Hilux.  A textbook blend of compassion, strength, resolve and leadership, at the same time calling for unity.  An impressively decent human being. I wish there were a few more like her around the world.

• Agree 11

Such terribly sad news. My thoughts are with all of those families both directly and indirectly impacted by this tragedy and also to the wider community in Christchurch, and indeed New Zealand as a whole. It is a wonderful city - having spent time there myself and having friends there, and your people have been through such a lot of heartache in the last decade or so. There are no words to describe the enormity of the impact this will have, just rest be assured that your friends all over the world are thinking of you. 

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jukebox said:

I have to say I am seriously impressed by how your PM has handled this tragedy, Hilux.  A textbook blend of compassion, strength, resolve and leadership, at the same time calling for unity.  An impressively decent human being. I wish there were a few more like her around the world.

I couldnt agree more Jukebox. As with an politician, she has made a couple of mistakes during her tenure, but it’s times like these that she really shines and proves herself to be the great leader that she is. Very proud of our PM. It’s a shame the UK doesnt have one similar!

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

My son settled in Christchurch some years ago. He's ok but shocked that such violence could happen in such a seemingly peaceful country, his words were that you could imagine it happening in America, but not in New Zealand.

There's an excellent piece in today's Guardian which complements that linked to by Kevin a couple of posts previously. It chimes with an interview on tonight's Channel 4 news the gist of which being that hate speech, the marginalising of minority groups and the dehumanising of those not like the majority by some politicians and media outlets while not directly to blame for outrages like Christchurch give space for the hatred that drives attacks to flourish.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

A member on another forum I use, lives in Christchurch and his son is friends with the son of the chap who took bullets to protect his sons.

The one on BBC News father and son.

It is really hard for him as he knew a few victims.

• Friendly/supportive 1