80’s rolling stock to/from Oban

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, meanach said:

Hi . I model the Scottish highlands in 88. I have the 3 volumes of this series which cover early 80s to early 90s . This volume would be of most help to you . Also worth a view is W J Anderson’s  ‘Scotland’s railways’ . He was up there quite a bit in your time period . 

There was no mail tracfic by 84. In fact there never really was . It was usually just bolstered by an extra brake (BSO, BFK , BCK) in the Xmas period . 

Passenger stock was predominantly MK1 stock often with a Mk2 BFK . 

In your time period the timber traffic was handled by early timber wagons of the bogie bolster type (can’t remember the classification !)  which Cambrian produce . Oban yard occasionally played host to these . OBA wagons with various goods were an occasional visitor . Also Dogfish and catfish engineers wagons besides the TTA wagons others have mentioned.  

Ian 

8106CC6E-B4EB-47B1-AF17-EB46D0565999.jpeg

Hi Ian - Many thanks for the information - yes I know about your layout in fact your Model Rail article was partially what inspired this project! Unfortunately that books seems out of print at the moment so will keep looking out for a S/H copy at shows. Loads of helpful information on rolling stock so thanks again for that...

22 hours ago, Argos said:

Electra rail do vinyls for the Mexican Bean, all you have do is source a 104!

And apply the vinyls of course.......

https://www.electrarail.co.uk/class-104-brcw-dmu-1907-p.asp

It would save a lot of work though.

Thanks again Argos - Good to know however I tried using them on Kyle for the green/cream stock and couldn’t really get on with them.

I think I start to have a good list of items for train formations growing steadily now...:good:

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

The 2mm  Scale Association do etched W irons to fit Chivers' kits and allow standard length axles to be used (2-314 and 2-315).

Thanks also Ian - good to know...

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, clachnaharry said:

There was a daily vacuum braked freight to Obain in 1980. I spent a few days camping on the loch at the opposite side to the hotel, and I saw it run every day. Sometimes a mix of MCVs and vans, sometimes mainly oil tanks, The return working was sometime after midnight, so I heard, but never saw it.

Thanks Clachnaharry - that sounds like another interesting formation to model...

• 1 month later...

Now hopefully my memory serves me right but I'm sure one of the books I have showed a photograph of the TTAs on the back of a passenger train possibly on a return working and between Oban and Crianlarich. It was one of the last mixed passenger and freight services and they may have been dropped off at Crianlarich for pick up by the freight from Fort William. Unfortunately the book is packed away in the attic to confirm all the details. 

• Thanks 1

Hi , recently watched my DVD " Year of the Oban line " circa 1985/86. There was summer Sunday excursions from Edinburgh using Glasgow / Edinburgh push pull sets of mk3 stock. Seem to remember the DBSO was still attached but the class37 still had to run round for the return.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

That would be because the Class 37 did not have the TDM(?) multiple working for the push-pull cabling, only the 47/7's had that.  The DBSO in that situation would have just have been a conventional hauled BSO with the cab locked out.

As for oil tanks on the back of Fort William to/from Mallaig trains, some videos of the period on YouTube show these trains, even with one marshalled next to an AirCon Mk 2!!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Freight trains to Oban have always been few and far between even in steam days. For example the 1980 WTT shows a single daily Cadder Yard to Oban departing Cadder 03.47. It was vacum braked running as 8B05 with a return working departing Oban 01.05 running as 8C69. There was also a path on Saturday mornings for a light engine return from Oban to Eastfield running as 0C00 using the same timings as 8C69.   

The 3 daily passenger trains between Oban and Glasgow Queen Street were all vacum braked, steam heated coaching stock of up to load  6 and comprised of a range of Mark 1's and Mark 2a BFK's. In 1980 2B01, 0100 Glasgow Oban also still ran comprising up to load 5 vehicles of parcels, mail and passenger traffic. It has always interested me that there was no return working, I think that the passenger coaches returned with the first train from Oban in the morning. Unsurprisingly I have never seen any pictures of this service. 

As others have stated, you will find plenty of pictures and video on the Internet and a number of books that provide great reference material. You will also find a number of threads on RMWeb relating to a varity of WHL based layouts.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, young37215 said:

Freight trains to Oban have always been few and far between even in steam days. 

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with that statement. The working timetable into the late 50s early 60s shows two freights in each direction and the photographic record shows these on or near capacity load.

To add to these you need to add the cattle traffic, which will still rail hauled, could run to three extra trains a day, with the associated empty return working.

Edited by Argos
A bit harsh!
  • Thanks 1

Hi Pete,

Only just noticed this thread.

I have a book called 'Britains Railways in the Seventies' which contains a view of a class 101 unit in the mainly white referbished livery at Oban station. Also a picture of another 101 unit at Arrochar & Tarbet  with 10.30 Glasgow-Oban in 1975.

Also, perhaps you could run sleeper trains as these were occasionally diverted from Fort William.

Edited by andy stroud
  • Thanks 1

Have to agree with Argos. Steam days covered an 87 year time span. Oban was a major fishing port and apparently at the height of the herring season trains would depart about every 2 hours. As Argos says the livestock market was also generating traffic. It not only served the local area but also the islands. Coal also arrived by rail, and we all had coal fires so plenty traffic. Look at old photos of the town yard and the extensive sidings on the Railway Pier to see just how  much freight was being generated and of course the return empties.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/04/2019 at 14:38, andythebud said:

Now hopefully my memory serves me right but I'm sure one of the books I have showed a photograph of the TTAs on the back of a passenger train possibly on a return working and between Oban and Crianlarich. It was one of the last mixed passenger and freight services and they may have been dropped off at Crianlarich for pick up by the freight from Fort William. Unfortunately the book is packed away in the attic to confirm all the details. 

Thank you - yep that sounds spot on for modelling - not so great from a H+S perspective these days :no: 

On 28/04/2019 at 16:30, Petesquire said:

Hi , recently watched my DVD " Year of the Oban line " circa 1985/86. There was summer Sunday excursions from Edinburgh using Glasgow / Edinburgh push pull sets of mk3 stock. Seem to remember the DBSO was still attached but the class37 still had to run round for the return.

Thank you - will need to check how many I could fit...probably only two and a DBSO which might look a bit short if modelled...

On 28/04/2019 at 23:11, John M Upton said:

That would be because the Class 37 did not have the TDM(?) multiple working for the push-pull cabling, only the 47/7's had that.  The DBSO in that situation would have just have been a conventional hauled BSO with the cab locked out.

As for oil tanks on the back of Fort William to/from Mallaig trains, some videos of the period on YouTube show these trains, even with one marshalled next to an AirCon Mk 2!!

Thanks - Sounds like I need to watch some vids!

On 29/04/2019 at 08:35, young37215 said:

Freight trains to Oban have always been few and far between even in steam days. For example the 1980 WTT shows a single daily Cadder Yard to Oban departing Cadder 03.47. It was vacum braked running as 8B05 with a return working departing Oban 01.05 running as 8C69. There was also a path on Saturday mornings for a light engine return from Oban to Eastfield running as 0C00 using the same timings as 8C69.   

The 3 daily passenger trains between Oban and Glasgow Queen Street were all vacum braked, steam heated coaching stock of up to load  6 and comprised of a range of Mark 1's and Mark 2a BFK's. In 1980 2B01, 0100 Glasgow Oban also still ran comprising up to load 5 vehicles of parcels, mail and passenger traffic. It has always interested me that there was no return working, I think that the passenger coaches returned with the first train from Oban in the morning. Unsurprisingly I have never seen any pictures of this service. 

As others have stated, you will find plenty of pictures and video on the Internet and a number of books that provide great reference material. You will also find a number of threads on RMWeb relating to a varity of WHL based layouts.  

Than you too for the information...

On 29/04/2019 at 17:40, Argos said:

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with that statement. The working timetable into the late 50s early 60s shows two freights in each direction and the photographic record shows these on or near capacity load.

To add to these you need to add the cattle traffic, which will still rail hauled, could run to three extra trains a day, with the associated empty return working.

Out of my time period I guess this one!...

On 30/04/2019 at 01:41, andy stroud said:

Hi Pete,

Only just noticed this thread.

I have a book called 'Britains Railways in the Seventies' which contains a view of a class 101 unit in the mainly white referbished livery at Oban station. Also a picture of another 101 unit at Arrochar & Tarbet  with 10.30 Glasgow-Oban in 1975.

Also, perhaps you could run sleeper trains as these were occasionally diverted from Fort William.

Thanks Andy - a sound chipped 101 could be a nice addition...

On 30/04/2019 at 08:24, Petesquire said:

Have to agree with Argos. Steam days covered an 87 year time span. Oban was a major fishing port and apparently at the height of the herring season trains would depart about every 2 hours. As Argos says the livestock market was also generating traffic. It not only served the local area but also the islands. Coal also arrived by rail, and we all had coal fires so plenty traffic. Look at old photos of the town yard and the extensive sidings on the Railway Pier to see just how  much freight was being generated and of course the return empties.

Thanks again for the information..

Page 80 of Seventies Spotting Days Around the Scottish Region (Strathwood) has a picture of 27011 at Queen Street on the 0100 to Oban in 1979. Train is made up of a CCT, CK and ( I think) a BSO. Would make a great train for a smallish layout!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Max Legroom said:

Page 80 of Seventies Spotting Days Around the Scottish Region (Strathwood) has a picture of 27011 at Queen Street on the 0100 to Oban in 1979. Train is made up of a CCT, CK and ( I think) a BSO. Would make a great train for a smallish layout!

Sounds great, thank you...

• 10 months later...
On 03/05/2019 at 19:45, Max Legroom said:

Very few people have mentioned this service, probably one of the least well known in the entire UK!  I do recall it, having travelled once up to Oban.  The train was always 2 coaches, a BG and a BSK.  I honestly don't think BR wanted people to know this ervice ran as it was a mail/parcel service with a few passengers tagging along for the Colonsay ferry in the morning.  Arrival at Oban was often early!!  Well before 4 am... Lots of hanging around in a cold wet Oban harbour.   A very good modelling opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
On 24/03/2019 at 11:27, jonny777 said:

On a winters day in 1984, I took this photo at Queen Street. My memory suggests that it was an Oban service, which was one of the reasons for taking the photo. 3 Mk1s and no first class from what I can see. Loco is 37192. It may not be much help, but it gives me a chance to reminisce.

779928933_10072337192QUST11284.jpg.0468eb9b31ccf83c58b6ee8739493301.jpg

Cats eyes and no tail lamp... suggest a shunt move to me.

• Agree 1

On 24/03/2019 at 18:10, caradoc said:

bcnPete, something was nagging the back of my mind about that picture so I took another look, and the wagons described in the caption as OBA (wooden-bodied) are actually OCA (steel-bodied) ! I hope you haven't gone and bought a load of OBAs in the meantime.......

"a number of OBA wagons at Oban carrying bagged aggregate"... Dried sea weed from South America, for the alginate factory at Barcaldine.  The contract ran for three or four years and provided a much needed boost to the line.  The alginate factory closed and work went to China and San Diego.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned it already but weren’t there some excursions to Oban in the early 80s featuring a Deltic and one of the Glasgow-Edinburgh push-pull sets? I don’t know how many times it ran but it fits the OP’s time period and would be an easy train to model; Farish do the DBSO and Deltic, Dapol do blue/grey Mk3s. 

• Thanks 1

The 0100 from Queen St is mentioned up thread but did it run in the 80's? I thought it stopped about 1976/7. I never saw it but do remember hearing it. Where I stayed was 3-4 miles from the line and on a quiet night then I would hear this train for a long period as it made its way through Glasgow's north west suburbs.

I think the stock - or some of it may have returned on the 6pm-ish train to Queen St. If so then presumably for traffic reasons. On an unrelated point, I think two sets of stock may have been stabled overnight at Oban, so the last arrival was the second departure the next day. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, cadder toad said:

The 0100 from Queen St is mentioned up thread but did it run in the 80's? I thought it stopped about 1976/7. I never saw it but do remember hearing it. Where I stayed was 3-4 miles from the line and on a quiet night then I would hear this train for a long period as it made its way through Glasgow's north west suburbs.

I think the stock - or some of it may have returned on the 6pm-ish train to Queen St. If so then presumably for traffic reasons. On an unrelated point, I think two sets of stock may have been stabled overnight at Oban, so the last arrival was the second departure the next day. 

The 0100 Queen Street to Oban last ran in the WTT year starting May 1981. I am not sure how the stock of the 0100 returned, the booked trailing loads of 245 tonnes indicates 7 vehicles. The 3 daytime trains from Glasgow to Oban were all booked 280 tonnes, the first two trains of the day back from Oban were 280 tonnes whereas the last train was a coach less at 245. In general terms of rolling stock only two rakes were required to cover Oban diagrams, one overnighted in Glasgow and the other at Oban.  

It is a mystery to me how the stock returned, it is not clear from the WTT! 

5 hours ago, young37215 said:

The 0100 Queen Street to Oban last ran in the WTT year starting May 1981. I am not sure how the stock of the 0100 returned, the booked trailing loads of 245 tonnes indicates 7 vehicles. The 3 daytime trains from Glasgow to Oban were all booked 280 tonnes, the first two trains of the day back from Oban were 280 tonnes whereas the last train was a coach less at 245. In general terms of rolling stock only two rakes were required to cover Oban diagrams, one overnighted in Glasgow and the other at Oban.  

It is a mystery to me how the stock returned, it is not clear from the WTT! 

The stock was shunted onto the old Ballahulish platform at the station, and was added to the late train during the afternoon shunt turn.  In those days there was a mid afternoon booking on turn for men to shunt the carriages, take the daily BR ventilated van from the small goods depot and place it in the goods yard for the return overnight freight, and then they would sometimes run down to Connel light engine to collect the ESSO tanks and be back for 4 pm.  All in all a busy wee shift.  I have some old phot's I'll dig out and post up.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, CliveM said:

The stock was shunted onto the old Ballahulish platform at the station, and was added to the late train during the afternoon shunt turn.  In those days there was a mid afternoon booking on turn for men to shunt the carriages, take the daily BR ventilated van from the small goods depot and place it in the goods yard for the return overnight freight, and then they would sometimes run down to Connel light engine to collect the ESSO tanks and be back for 4 pm.  All in all a busy wee shift.  I have some old phot's I'll dig out and post up.

ADDENDUM

Here is a pic from circa 1978.  It shows the two carriages off the 0100 berthed on the left, the set on the right was "probably" the miday as it is a lenghty train.  During the summer months all the WHL trains were stremgthened to 7 coaches.  You'll also note the small goods depot to the left, on this occasion there was no BR van so I guess this must have been a Saturday.

7.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 05/04/2021 at 13:03, Western Aviator said:

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned it already but weren’t there some excursions to Oban in the early 80s featuring a Deltic and one of the Glasgow-Edinburgh push-pull sets? I don’t know how many times it ran but it fits the OP’s time period and would be an easy train to model; Farish do the DBSO and Deltic, Dapol do blue/grey Mk3s. 

I have some holiday snaps taken on the very first occasion of a Deltic visit to Oban.  Yes, the push/pull MKIII set was used, and looked rather out of place to be honest, obviously the first time such stock had been that far West too!  Edinburgh train crew worked throughout with a Pilot from Eastfield, plus traction inspector.  All photographed as per below, sorry about the quality!  You'll note the Deltic left Oban on one engine!  At about halfway out (Soroba) the other engine burst into life and the train flew up to Glencruiten! 

8.jpg

9.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Here are a few more phot's of Oban circa 1976 whilst on holiday.  Sorry about the quality as I only had a cheap Kodak camera.

A general view of the platforms.  Note how the loco off the first ex Glas Qu Street is berthed over to the left.  The two MK I's on the right were off the 0100 ex Q street.  This train usually consisted of a BG and BSK.  It was usually crammed with mail and parcels with limited passenger space.  However passengers did use it for connections to Colonsay and Barra.  The coach in the bay is a BG which will be added to the late train.

5.jpg

Edited by CliveM
  • Like 6

Can't recall the number of the loco, sorry!  The WHL was dominated by Class 27's in those days and the same loco would often turn up day after day!  This loco would do the afternoon shunt, move the two MKi's into the bay, shunt the 5 ton coal mineral empties out of the coal yard and then disapear for an hour down to Connel to collect the Shell tanks.

4.jpg

• Like 7