Hornby class 08 which decoder is the best fit?

Craig85

Hi

Just a quick question to ask you all as to which decoder is the best fit for the Hornby class 08, as I can see that there is not a lot of room available inside the locomotive. Sorry if this has been asked before. 

Thanks 

Craig

It's actually pretty roomy! My one Hornby 08 bought in the year of first release has a Lenz silver - so a 'full size' HO decoder - which slots really neatly with the long axis vertical between the plastic posts for the securing screws and the radiator grille. The later Lenz standard is the same size as the old silver so will fit, and operates this mechanism very well.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I fitted the Hornby TTS decoder, which then makes it a squeeze as the speaker fits in the front.

There are other places for the speaker, and I'm sure when I fitted mine, it seems Hornby changed the internal layout a little throughout the production but I think I put mine on the top of the motor.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

The motor is roughly oval shaped and on older models this was orientated upright meaning it came very close to the top of the body. On newer models it’s been turned around so there’s space above it, you can get pretty much anything in there on these models, even a full size sound decoder. If you have an older one it’s possible to modify the bracket that holds it upright and turn it so it’s flat to give more space.

Richard

I did this with hard wired Zimo MX645 and also got a stay alive from Digitrains down behind the radiator. However the older models are more difficult...

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m currently building a cut down 08 using the PH printed body on the Hornby chassis. With the body being lower there is no space on top of the mechanism (I’ve cut off the top of the mechanism where the decoder socket is so the body fits. I’m wondering what my options are?  There seems to be a small space behind the radiator. Ideally it will have sound and a stay alive, but I suspect I might not get both in. I suspect it will all have to be hard wired too - something new for me.