BR WCML Diversions

Here's an interesting video of some drags and diversions in the Manchester during the 80's

Anglo-Scottish services used to get dragged through Victoria and Ashton Moss.

All very different these days isn't it - Anglo-Scottish diversions over Easter meant powered Pendolinos routed Preston-Bolton-Oxford Rd-Stockport.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I used to remember WCRC drags through Bolton until quite recently.

most of the time it was last minute pictures that turn out Rubbish, but I recall an occasion where a 47 dragged 2x VT class 86’s + mk2’s through Bolton on a passenger divert which stood out.

mk3’s with 87’s have occurred too.

I don’t know the story behind the picture, but I have a HST going through Bolton towards Blackburn on one occasion, c1987... that’s odd as HSTs werent associated with the Preston end of the WCML then.

There was freight diverts too, I recall a Metals sector 37 on a steel working through Bolton, once towards Preston and another down to Blackburn and presumably S&C.

Edited by adb968008

15 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

On a memorable mid-80s Sunday journey from Glasgow-London, we didn't have an electric loco until Preston, as we went via Kilmarnock and then Settle. 

On a Glasgow-Euston one Sunday in 1972, we went Glasgow, Kilmarnock, Carlisle, Hellifield, Blackburn, Bolton, Manchester Victoria, Ashton Moss, Denton, Heaton Norris to Crewe. We were only on the regular route for the stretches between Glasgow Central and Eglinton Street and between Gretna Junction and Carlisle Citadel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I don’t know the story behind the picture, but I have a HST going through Bolton towards Blackburn on one occasion, c1987... that’s odd as HSTs werent associated with the Preston end of the WCML then.

Hertfordshire Railtours ran a number of 125 specials over the S&C at around this time, usually involving a spare Midland Mainline HST set. I'd have to look up the date, but remember going through Bolton and Blackburn on one.

• Thanks 1