RMweb

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

44 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

They were after the sports exhaust system, a rather tasty very expensive option……..had one on ours, lovely noise and made the flat six sound like a band of angels crying for mercy 😇

they cut it off ahead of the manifold which makes it worthless 

owner quoted £10k for replacement which seems rather steep even for a porker 

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, peanuts said:

they cut it off ahead of the manifold which makes it worthless 

owner quoted £10k for replacement which seems rather steep even for a porker 

Probably just after the cat, sadly...

• RMweb Gold

Amazing what you find trackside, spotted this while walking to my possession train at nuneaton

any thoughts of what it’s out of?

26CCAEA2-9B47-42F1-83C3-E2D66D99372D.thumb.jpeg.71e99088e554e9219e6ca8b2447bc2a2.jpeg

i was thinking something like a nova or Astra?

in other news I think my front wheel bearing has gone again on the diesel mini, I fitted a used hub about 9 months ago and it’s starting to grind, just ordered a new bearing so hopefully swap it over on Wednesday if I get a chance as I need the car to go to cumbria on Thursday 

• RMweb Gold
Just now, big jim said:

Amazing what you find trackside, spotted this while walking to my possession train at nuneaton

26CCAEA2-9B47-42F1-83C3-E2D66D99372D.thumb.jpeg.71e99088e554e9219e6ca8b2447bc2a2.jpeg

in other news I think my front wheel bearing has gone again on the diesel mini, I fitted a used hub about 9 months ago and it’s starting to grind, just ordered a new bearing so hopefully swap it over on Wednesday if I get a chance as I need the car to go to cumbria on Thursday 

It looks Italian to me jim , and in reasonable condition 

• RMweb Gold

I’m tempted to walk back and see if I can see any markings on it, I’ve googled various 80-90s mainstream car dashboards but can’t see anything matching (Astra, nova, rover, metro etc) 

the chunky buttons and vents are still screaming Vauxhall to me, one thing though, it’s got a full tank of fuel 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, big jim said:

GM red lines are higher.

Not GM

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, big jim said:

Thanks to the joys of Twitter, identified in under 15 minutes as being from a Renault 19 (phase 2)

Right, where was it…..going on eBay right now 🤣

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, big jim said:

in other news I think my front wheel bearing has gone again on the diesel mini, I fitted a used hub about 9 months ago and it’s starting to grind, just ordered a new bearing so hopefully swap it over on Wednesday if I get a chance as I need the car to go to Cumbria on Thursday 

I think it could be from a Renault 21, 25 as the three gauges in the centre are Renault in design . 

Terry.

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Trainshed Terry said:

I think it could be from a Renault 21, 25 as the three gauges in the centre are Renault in design . 

Terry.

It pays to read a couple of posts above 🤣

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, big jim said:

Thanks to the joys of Twitter, identified in under 15 minutes as being from a Renault 19 (phase 2)

I was thinking Renault from the typeface of the dial numbers. Sad or what! 

Jo

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, big jim said:

After hearing other ideas was thinking R19 they were actually great cars especially 16v 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The wheel bearing got worse on the way home, pretty lucky to make it back i recon! 

quickly took the front hub off when I got back, 20 minute job now I know how to do it

13A607A8-E238-4EB2-80A4-A59FCEF1C07B.thumb.jpeg.9e9895eb4bbe48f4899bb8be05aa128c.jpeg

only issue I have is one of the four bolts holding the bearing to the hub has rounded so I can’t get it out , im going to have to see if my local garage can get it out for me with a bit of heat tomorrow 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Garage got the bolt out with their remover tool, new brake wear sensor collected, bearing will be here tomorrow so hopefully back together and available to use to go to the caravan on Thursday!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Lord Flashheart said:

My mate still has one,one of the very few 16v saloons still on the road. 

Rob

Excellent Rob , they were rare even when new 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, russ p said:

I remember test driving one in 1990 or 91 and being impressed with the (relative to my Astra 16v) smooth ride and high spec of the dealer demo car, but compared to the Astra it lacked any real urge when pushed.

The four doors was a plus point but the dealer wasn’t keen enough to sell the demo car to make any deal likely, Renaults at the time weren’t the greatest at holding their value and the dealer and I had differing ideas of what the initial depreciation was on a three month old car.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, russ p said:

He's had it a long time,will be getting a good tidy up soon. 

Used to regularly drive it Guildford to Grosmont when we went up there,his dad owned 50027,at that time I had a Cavalier GSI replica, really should have got a pic of them together. 

Rob

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Lord Flashheart said:

He's had it a long time,will be getting a good tidy up soon. 

Used to regularly drive it Guildford to Grosmont when we went up there,his dad owned 50027,at that time I had a Cavalier GSI replica, really should have got a pic of them together. 

Rob

If that was late 90s I must have seen it as I did quite a bit of work on D5061 about that time