RMweb

Currently watching...

DavidB-AU

4 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Agreed, the Rupert Davies Maigret is very good.

The Traction used in the Rupert Davies series was leased by a French leasing company. When the series finished, Rupert Davies purchased the car.

"The Citroën Light 15/6H Traction Avant that featured in the 1960s British TV series Maigret is for sale.
The 1954 Paris-built car was bought by the show’s star, Rupert Davies, from a French leasing company after the 51 episodes of the series, shown on the BBC from 1960-’63. 
Mr Davies used the car for many years before it passed on to his wife. It remained with the Davies family and relocated to Somerset. It was stolen but recovered and returned.
The present owner, Jamie Maisey, bought his first Citroën Traction Avant in 1988. He ended up buying the Maigret car, but due to a lack of time has decided to pass it on. He is open to offers from potential buyers. 
The 15H’s engine, gearbox and clutch has been overhauled. 
Jamie said: ‘A lot of people refer to these Citroëns as Maigret cars, but this is the real thing.’ Nick Larkin"

Maigret.jpeg.2fd54582414b47d386a2749808ecea10.jpeg
• editorial@classiccarweekly.co.uk

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Because I wasn't feeling too well last night and had nothing better to do I watched Shetland.  Why is this programme popular?  Grim people in a grim place with grim plotllnes and the inevitable female lead with complicated family problems.  I didn't warm at all to the new detective, but perhaps we weren't meant to.  Also, it's a lengthy ongoing story line - I don't mind that too much provided that each episode also contains a separate secondary story that can be begun and concluded in that episode.  And the storyline such as it was and script really were absurd.  As I said, Grim.

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Torper said:

Because I wasn't feeling too well last night and had nothing better to do I watched Shetland.  Why is this programme popular?  Grim people in a grim place with grim plotllnes and the inevitable female lead with complicated family problems.  I didn't warm at all to the new detective, but perhaps we weren't meant to.  Also, it's a lengthy ongoing story line - I don't mind that too much provided that each episode also contains a separate secondary story that can be begun and concluded in that episode.  And the storyline such as it was and script really were absurd.  As I said, Grim.

I would suggest giving it time, if you haven't already done so? I've not seen the new episode yet, but the series as a whole has been fantastic, top-quality television, with brilliant characters - not just the now-departed Perez, but Tosh as well, who I now assume will have a more prominent role alongside the new detective. And the scenery and atmospherics of it have been part of the enjoyment as well.

• Agree 2

• 4 months later...

I'm aware this thread was probably intended as a more TV viewing focused discussion, but as finding the cinema driven alternative may take time, can I just recommend Dune Pt2 for your viewing pleasure.

A film cinema was made for, I've not felt as giddy walking out of the movies since SW: Rogue One. Superb.

C6T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Currently half way through “Masters of the Air”  on Apple TV+.  With headphones on the crump of the flak and the airframe noises scare the crepe out of me and I’m firmly on the ground!

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2024 at 17:27, franciswilliamwebb said:

Currently half way through “Masters of the Air”  on Apple TV+.  With headphones on the crump of the flak and the airframe noises scare the crepe out of me and I’m firmly on the ground!

I haven't got Apple TV so cant watch it, which is a shame 🙂 but to anyone watching Masters of the Air I'd recommend this. The sound quality is a bit poor but this guy is a true hero! I had goosebumps listening to this, such an unassuming bloke, yet what a story he has to tell! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On the basis I enjoyed Ghostbusters: Afterlife immensely when aired on Good Friday I went to the pictures to see Frozen Empire today...yeah, not so great.

The knowing winks to the audience that remembers the 80s original seem laboured in comparison and the noobs to the franchise are a little too comfortable with their roles this time around to engage on a journey with.

Phoebe is still obviously the brains of the operation, but for plot purposes is sidelined. Her mother still has a rather odd relationship with her kids and Paul Rudd is just glad he's not making Marvel Ant-Man B movies.

Afterlife is excellent GB fare, if you must watch Frozen Empire, you'll not miss anything waiting for it on streaming or terrestrial imo.

C6T.