The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently watching...

DavidB-AU

Not sure if  "Mr Inbetween" is streaming in the UK somewhere, maybe try Prime. Its a 2-series length comedy/drama  set in Sydney and surrounds (before they caught fire), and is about a small-time hitman, has an endearing down to earth quality, unlike similar US shows... and you get to see Brooke Satchwell in her undies.

You don't want him to give you that impish grin...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thought this was the best place to plonk this...given it's likely where the celluloid aficionados will take notice.

Long story short, on a slow night, the staff at my post work watering hole have brought in quiz cards to exercise the grey matter.

Popular music is my forte, but I'm partial to TV and film trivia too. 

So your starter for ten friends, how many faults can you find in the attached card's question?DSC_0066.JPG.b43829f4c2127fa3f9cd73de820e007e.JPG

C6T.

They've at least got the film's title and director right...

11 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Thought this was the best place to plonk this...given it's likely where the celluloid aficionados will take notice.

Long story short, on a slow night, the staff at my post work watering hole have brought in quiz cards to exercise the grey matter.

Popular music is my forte, but I'm partial to TV and film trivia too. 

So your starter for ten friends, how many faults can you find in the attached card's question?DSC_0066.JPG.b43829f4c2127fa3f9cd73de820e007e.JPG

C6T.

They've at least got the film's title and director right...

Have they?

Jaws shouldn't be in capital letters and Spielberg is spelt wrong....

Otherwise.

It was Captain Quint (Hooper was the marine biologist)

The boat was Orca if we are being pedantic. As you don't add "The" to names unless it's actually in the name. It's on the rear of the boat in big letters.

Jason

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just been watching the Fire Fight Australia concert. Most of the acts were okay but a bit ho hum. Not exactly their A game. One notable exception being Alice Cooper who sent boomers into a frenzy and millennials to Google to find out who he was.

Then on came Queen + Adam Lambert who wiped the floor with everyone else. The set list was...

Bohemian Rhapsody

Radio Ga Ga

Ay ohs (Freddie on the big screen)

Hammer to Fall

Crazy Little Thing Called Love

We Will Rock You

We Are The Champions

In other words, they did Live Aid again and had the same effect on the audience!

Cheers

David

• Like 2

Date and costs for UK Disney+ here, including pre order saving details. Standard monthly cost in the UK will be £5.99.

£59.99 per annum is comparible to PlayStation Network (£6.99 pcm) , but I tend to put in a lot of time on that, TV streaming not so much. That said, Netflix costs me £5.99 pcm with Amazon Prime coming in at £7.99 pcm, so I guess it's what's on offer that'll be the factor.

Mandolorian/Obi Wan yes please, back catalogue of Star Wars films (and animated shows), Marvel movies and all Simpsons episodes, mmm I'll let you know.

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
Extra info

• 4 weeks later...

Setting up the PlayStation3 for Dad to watch Netflix, surprised (and delighted) to see a new season of Better Call Saul has launched. I thought S.4 finished in such a manner that it merged seamlessly into Breaking Bad. Not complaining!

S.3 of Ozark kicks off at the end of the month too.

C6T. 

On 21/03/2020 at 03:50, Classsix T said:

Setting up the PlayStation3 for Dad to watch Netflix, surprised (and delighted) to see a new season of Better Call Saul has launched. I thought S.4 finished in such a manner that it merged seamlessly into Breaking Bad. Not complaining!

S.3 of Ozark kicks off at the end of the month too.

C6T. 

Been so long since season 4 I've had to rewatch from the  beginning again to remember what its all about!

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Been so long since season 4 I've had to rewatch from the  beginning again to remember what its all about!

Purely from a continuity perspective, I think it'd be difficult to make more series of BCS. Jonathan Banks (Mike) at 73 is looking rather more world weary than his chronologically older self in BB.

C6T. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Mrs Rodent and I, having been through the whole of The Marvellous Mrs Maisel, are now revisiting Good Omens. Sheen and Tennant are a perfect double act.

I hope they make some more Maisel, it's so well filmed, and well written.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Totally missed the hype train, if there even was one, for the new version of DUNE. Fortunately a friend mentioned the recently released trailer:

Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin and a Pink Floyd soundtrack, it could've been made just for me!

Undoubtedly a large amount of inspiration has been taken from the David Lynch masterpiece but with the Director of Bladerunner 2049 in charge, hopefully he has put his own mark upon Frank Herbert's tale. 

Pending obvious Covid disruption to cinema schedules, nominally slated for a December release.

C6T. 

• 1 year later...

...and funnily enough, I went to see Dune (new one mentioned above) last October, so it's like the thread has come full circle, personally at least.

As for the film itself, doesn't blow me away like Lynch's version, but enjoyable, second part slated for release October this year. Also enjoyed was Matrix Resurrections which I saw over Chrimbo Limbo.

New season of Ozark is less than a fortnight away on Netflix, and Book of Boba Fett to look forward to on Disney+. All good!

C6T. 

• 4 weeks later...

After a random suggestion appeared in the margins of YouTube, I've been watching the Kenny Everett Video Show back from series 1 in 1978. It's amazing how quickly it morphed from principally a music show with some funny links into a sketch comedy show with usually just one musical guest. Although definitely a product of its time, much of the humour has aged quite well. And do I get bonus points for spotting an 18 year old Sarah Brightman as one of the dancers?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Watching the original BBC Maigret with Rupert Davies. I remember watching it with my Dad. Didn't remember much except the theme tune as I was 6 or 7 at the time. Nice atmospheric shots of Paris and some other French towns. Maybe Dad liked it due to Maigret usually going around in a Citroen Traction, as dad owned one himself at one time. But loads of other 50s/60s French cars and the odd British one. Fair number of train scenes and there is some continuity as the train he gets on appears the same as the one he gets off, Michael Portaloo take note..

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Agreed, the Rupert Davies Maigret is very good.

Every now and again I'm tempted by the 1/8th scale Traction Avant from Heller, then sanity prevails! The 1/24th Parisian bus was enough of a struggle.

I bought and started the Paris bus when it came out in the 1980s, then I won one from Scale Models Magazine. That was swapped for the Heller Super Frelon helicopter**. One day I'll get around to finishing the Paris bus. Fancied the 1/8 Traction myself, but settled for the 1/24 instead to go with the bus. That isn't even started. I would like a suitable 2CV to go with them. Heller do a later model, the early ones only available in 1/43, and Tamiya do a van, but again, a later model.

**Sold to the son of my local vicar.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 1