Identity of wagon/location

DSC_0071

Any ideas?  I believe the image is taken in Buckley, or thereabouts, and probably pre WW1.  The engine is a semi-portable, and at least one of the gentlemen is a relative of mine.    So, the guess is that the wagon is a GWR wagon.

James Powell

Edited by peach james
b to g on guess...

I would say the load is a loco boiler. The hole in the chimney is not what I have seen on semi portable.

I believe there is usually a chimney base casting fitted to the smoke box. This would either provide a hinge for a folding chimney or a base for a suitable diameter piece of tube of the required length to act as a chimney.

Gordon A

2 hours ago, billbedford said:

The wagon in question is a GCR Flattrol V built 1903. 40T load, 58' x 7'6". 

There is a half drawing in LNER Wagons Vol 1 by Peter Tatlow.

Makes sense seeing as the GCR had quite a foothold in the area mainly due to the Wrexham, Mold and Connah's Quay Railway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrexham,_Mold_and_Connah's_Quay_Railway

Jason

1 hour ago, Gordon A said:

I would say the load is a loco boiler. The hole in the chimney is not what I have seen on semi portable.

I believe there is usually a chimney base casting fitted to the smoke box. This would either provide a hinge for a folding chimney or a base for a suitable diameter piece of tube of the required length to act as a chimney.

Gordon A

The smokebox door looks rather un-railway-like and there seems to be a side-feed pipe up from some sort of baseplate that doesn't look like loco frames ............ maybe a loco boiler that's be re-purposed for stationary use ?

I was going to say it's a shame the wrong side is shown for that huge-great manhole ( were they always on that side ? ) ...... but the apparent absence of washout plugs / hand holes might suggest it's there.

Moreover,  the safety valve lever is well out of reach of any possible locomotive cab - unless the W.M.& C.Q. had a secret camelback !

Thank you all, it is helpful in a general sense.  As you can imagine, the prints are in my dad's stuff, and he knows that one of the men is a relative, and was a Boilermaker living in Buckley.  Not which one...and everyone who could have answered that question is dead.  We are left with trying to figure out who is who by the clues, and knowing that the photo is >1903 is helpful.  Knowing that it is on a GCR wagon is probably less helpful, but may help in some odd way.  We'd looked at the engine, and think it is a Marshall, but can't be sure.  Since dad builds them, and I wear them out, that probably means it's a dead end from the details.

James