Southern/Br Coach Interiors

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone tell me the colour schemes for Southern/BR coaching stock interiors, specifically the Hampshire 2H and 3H DEMU., ie first class and second class seating colours, compartment colours and carpet colours. Thanks

If you look at my posting asking about Maunsell & Bulleid interiors there are some links given by respondees that may be of use for these. I think the brilliant SEMG may be useful? (Sorry, I don't know how to cross link & technical things like that).

Does not answer your question but may be of help?

36E

• RMweb Premium

Can you give us an idea of the time period you are looking at because things like seating moquette changed over time. During the blue era Thumpers would have had "Trojan" moquette in second class which is mid-grey with squares woven into the design in vertical lines of black - white - black - red - black - white - black - yellow - black - white - black - blue and repeat. Black and white squares were solid, the primary colours were an outline with the Trojan grey as a small square in the centre. First class if I recall was a black, charcoal and mid grey check design. Trim changed at overhaul from time to time.

The interior panelling on the Thumpers was varnished wood around the window frames though some were painted black at some time. The panelling again changed from the original as units went through various overhauls and refurbishments.

Can you give us an idea of the time period you are looking at because things like seating moquette changed over time. During the blue era Thumpers would have had "Trojan" moquette in second class which is mid-grey with squares woven into the design in vertical lines of black - white - black - red - black - white - black - yellow - black - white - black - blue and repeat. Black and white squares were solid, the primary colours were an outline with the Trojan grey as a small square in the centre. First class if I recall was a black, charcoal and mid grey check design. Trim changed at overhaul from time to time.

The interior panelling on the Thumpers was varnished wood around the window frames though some were painted black at some time. The panelling again changed from the original as units went through various overhauls and refurbishments.

The period that I am interested in is the early 'green'days ie 1960s.

Thanks forthe info

• RMweb Premium

Those units were introduced about the same time as the 2HAPs and were very similar. I think they might have had Trojan upholstery from new since that was the standard in the early - mid sixties at least. The first CIG and BIG units of 1963 had Trojan from new but perhaps someone with a slightly longer memory (or a definitive reference link) would be able to confirm?

The interior panels at the car ends were melamine above the seat backs and from memory were in a cream colour featuring a criss-cross of very thin gold lines. The seat ends I think were in the same dark green melamine as was seen on the CIG and HAP seats of the same time, though wood was also used. Interior door panels were varnished marine ply I believe though that was replaced mid-life with melamine.

Archived