Class 25 Soundchip Fitting Issue

Airport2010

Hi all

Of those who have successfully fitted a Zimo sound-chip & speaker to the Heljan 25, did you have a problem with the Zimo MX699KS? I can’t seem to figure out why the loco body won’t fully locate in place with the decoder installed in the same central position where the DC board was originally located. 

The loco body slips easily over the chassis to about 95% of where it should go, but is being prevented from fully closing by what I assume is the new decoder fouling on something inside the middle of the body shell. It’s not the Boom Box speaker that’s the issue as that is stuck nicely out of the way to the inside of the bulkhead at the fan end, and all wires are also out of the way.

Digitrains indicated they’ve sold a good few of these, so I assume this has been encountered by someone already?:wacko:

Cheers

4 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Have you checked you aren’t putting the body on rotated by 180 degrees? I seem to recall the Heljan 26 & 27 bodies won’t go on like that. 

Roy

Hi Roy. Already checked that one...should have mentioned in the OP. To be honest I’m not sure it would make any difference as the Zimo chip is symmetrical, so whatever is catching will still catch!:unsure:

Thanks anyway 

16 hours ago, Airport2010 said:

Hi Roy. Already checked that one...should have mentioned in the OP. To be honest I’m not sure it would make any difference as the Zimo chip is symmetrical, so whatever is catching will still catch!:unsure:

Thanks anyway 

The chip may be symmetrical, but the body mounts aren’t 

Sorted this problem now gents. Having obtained some off-line advice, I shone a torch into the dark depths of the upturned body shell and found -hidden behind wiring- some ‘flash’ that hadn’t been removed after the body shell was moulded in China, that was catching on the end of the soundchip.

Careful use of the Dremel has restored harmony to proceedings.:D

• Like 2