Class 501 EMU

• RMweb Gold

Obtained as built from eBay - quite nicely built in fact.

Power was from a Tenshodo motor bogie.  This has been removed and replaced with a Bachmann DMU motor  (DCC fitted) with the motor bogie modified to take the kit bogie side frames.

The cab and coach interiors have been cleaned up and painted.

DA5882D7-44F8-4ECF-B9EE-329F195E137C.jpeg.6633b9348319d9b00704489325a81f66.jpeg

AF206A82-5A75-4E97-9083-12B82210FCDC.jpeg.bcfb0bdc1237f6e2251f425ad484d1fe.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SRman said:

A great buy. :) It looks pretty good as it is.

Agreed.  It is very nicely built but the interior was unpainted and the underpowered Tenshodo spud needed to be replaced.  The BR arrows are a tad oversized so will, be removed and replaced.  The underframe equipment boxes are the etched ones from DC kits and are a bit one dimensional so these will be bulked out using plasticard.

A nice weekend project.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sone more progress - cab re-assembled and window bars painted white (using a cocktail stick).  Needs handrails, BR arrow decals and passengers.

E529E9A5-9F70-4F54-83CB-C2DFF5EDC69B.jpeg.7f691e001638894d87308c8fb6f1a2c9.jpeg

30AA377B-320F-40A5-A9D4-5A02965DCF9C.jpeg.3b0e8436b17eeae219fdc9be39a68cae.jpeg

57FE141A-BAC4-4AB2-B758-1A47A237C0F9.jpeg.75de4cf110b2dd46568894bea7868a3e.jpeg

E16F45F4-9487-4A08-B8D7-EB9A10674CBA.jpeg.754bb800ebe08808df8a1913febf81fc.jpeg

There is a centre coach - it’s awaiting the painting of its interior and the window bars.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Had similar tenshodo issues on a underground train im building with just one tenshodo and pickups on the non powered bogie, however 2 tenshodos wired up together with on of the cheap Bachmann 8 pin chips works a treat in my other tube trains,  suprised me how well they run when paired up.

Absolutely lovely model, I remember seeing them as a kid when I was visiting relatives on London

One thing that stuck in my mind was the step boards for the doors, rather than a full length plank, it seemed to be individual boards for each door, In my kids mind it looked like a saw edge!  Would be a nice feature to model, are you planning to do that at some point? (I do realise you bought it assembled)

British Rail (LMR) Class 501 unit at Harrow & Wealdstone

27 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Nice model but the shoebeams are all wrong.

Sorry.

Dave.

I wouldn't go as far as saying they are all wrong, but do seem to be fitted upside down, hopefully easy to take off and refit the other way round

The shoebeam fitting on the 501s was by a  bracket fitted just above the axlebox.

The type on the model is fitted to the 4 bolts on the front of the roller bearing type axlebox.

Also the 'dips' at the ends are much shallower and shorter.

Dave.

Edited by dasatcopthorne

Any other criticisms while you are at it?

Perhaps you would like to check the door gaps are all within 0,003mm to ensure they are accurate.

Some of us are impressed the way he has saved and improved a damaged model!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JiLo said:

Absolutely lovely model, I remember seeing them as a kid when I was visiting relatives on London

One thing that stuck in my mind was the step boards for the doors, rather than a full length plank, it seemed to be individual boards for each door, In my kids mind it looked like a saw edge!  Would be a nice feature to model, are you planning to do that at some point? (I do realise you bought it assembled)

I wouldn't go as far as saying they are all wrong, but do seem to be fitted upside down, hopefully easy to take off and refit the other way round

Hi Jilo

Depending on what time frame one models a Class 501 if they have continuous foot boards or individual  one to each door. In green livery and early blue the foot boards were continuous, up to about the same time as the change from 4 rail to 3 rail then they were individual. Checked by looking through "History of the North London Railway, Vol 1, London's  North Western Electrics". Atkinson, Adams and Clarke, ISBN 978-0-9932219-0-3, a lovely and informative book.

A similar change happened on the ER Mk1 25 KVa units, early career one long foot board. In the 70s they too had a separate step to each door. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JiLo said:

Hi JiLo,

I did look at various pictures on Google images and noticed that many units had separate rather than continuous step boards.  There were a few pictures that did show continuous step boards so, as this was a refurb job, this worked for me.  

The AM5 EMU that I am now building also has continuous step boards (in the kit) whereas most units had separate ones.  I will go with the separate boards with the AM5.

I may get around to replacing the shoe beams one the AM5 is done.  I have to admit that “dasatcopthorne” could have made his point in a more constructive manner so I am not really motivated to pay much heed to what he posts.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, terry.ecmr said:

Nice model you've got there. Love all the North Western electrics.

Couple of pictures of mine.

501 converted for Bachmann 2EPB.

Also with 3D printed Oerlikon.

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_20171015_171825823.jpg

Hi Terry,

Great models.  Earl’s Court is a favourite of mine and I have seen it a few times at shows.

Cheers

Darius

• Thanks 1

Hi Darius,

That's a great looking Class 501, and a lovely refurb' job you've done there. I have built a couple of Class 501s myself using the Bachmann 2-EPB. There are all sorts of pitfalls regarding the modelling of these units, and after studying as many images of them as possible, I also came to the conclusion that a circa 1970 unit would have full length footboards and not individual ones at each bay. There are instances where some units had a mix of both footboard styles.

The driving motor utilises the heavy duty bogie, so technically converting from a Bachmann 2-EPB isn't as simple as one would first think. I've used the bogie frames from a 4-CEP driving motor, and once you study the real thing, you will notice how much of a difference there was between the bogie styles..... but of course this is just finishing detail, and if you can't find any heavy duty bogie frames, I'm sure 99% of the population wouldn't notice a difference.

Nice pics and description of your project, and certainly brought a smile to my face. Here's a pic of mine BTW.

hornsey_pjpic-25.jpg

Edited by Kier Hardy
Mix up between CEP & EPB
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Kier Hardy said:

Hi Darius,

That's a great looking Class 501, and a lovely refurb' job you've done there. I have built a couple of Class 501s myself using the Bachmann 2-EPB. There are all sorts of pitfalls regarding the modelling of these units, and after studying as many images of them as possible, I also came to the conclusion that a circa 1970 unit would have full length footboards and not individual ones at each bay. There are instances where some units had a mix of both footboard styles.

The driving motor utilises the heavy duty bogie, so technically converting from a Bachmann 2-EPB isn't as simple as one would first think. I've used the bogie frames from a 4-EPB driving motor, and once you study the real thing, you will notice how much of a difference there was between the bogie styles..... but of course this is just finishing detail, and if you can't find any heavy duty bogie frames, I'm sure 99% of the population wouldn't notice a difference.

Nice pics and description of your project, and certainly brought a smile to my face. Here's a pic of mine BTW.

hornsey_pjpic-25.jpg

Thanks Kier,

Great model and a superb layout.  It’s a big inspiration to the layout that a friend and I are building in his garden shed - currently at the carpentry stage.

Cheers

Darius

Thanks for the historical info guys, always interesting to know.  It was in the early 80's I saw these units, I'm not sure if I ever saw any with continuous footboards, although in saying that, I wouldn't have been looking - just thought they were 'foreign' as I was used to 303/311's!

Joe

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Kier Hardy said:

I meant to say 4-CEP bogies, doh!

hornsey_501bogies.jpg

There’s irony for you - the bogie I chopped the side frames off so as to affix the kit side frames was an ex 4-CEP bogie.

Cheers

Darius

14 hours ago, royaloak said:

Any other criticisms while you are at it?

Perhaps you would like to check the door gaps are all within 0,003mm to ensure they are accurate.

Some of us are impressed the way he has saved and improved a damaged model!

Oh Dear.

One thing pointed out and you find you need to make comments like this. Very sad.

Don't worry though. I won't try to help again.

See ya.

Dave.

• Agree 2