RMweb

Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

So..........I need to contact Pete and start convincing him he not only wants, but NEEDS "Falcon".

Hello JeffP,

that may take some doing as Pete tends to model 1952 - 1955 with a few exceptions.

OzzyO.

Since I took my Swiss electric to a show and some old fart person who was running the test track decided it looked better with a pantograph laying flat on the roof and broke rather than in an upright springy position, shame he never admitted he caught it, it just did it all by itself. The said panto never returned to rest as it should. So I bit the bullit and went inside to see what had happened. First impression was, oh sh*t what a lot of wiring! But I took off the offending panto motor and re-set the rubber band drive and now it is working properly.

To think some people are saying there is a lot of wiring in the Heljan W&M railbus!

post-6766-0-66028200-1333554208.jpg

post-6766-0-13956200-1333554212.jpg

post-6766-0-31979800-1333554219.jpg

post-6766-0-93015200-1333554222.jpg

post-6766-0-68951600-1333554229.jpg

post-6766-0-14124600-1333554237.jpg

post-6766-0-45457700-1333554205.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hells bells! Thats a lotta wiring.... I assume there is no sound as standard, just lights and the panto operation? If so that has about 10 times as much cable as my LGB swiss electric with lights and working pantos!

I guess those swiss pantos were never design for running under bobbly old jumper sleeves.......shame it wasn't running under 25Kv at the time :bomb_mini:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Brian, to add a question why is the segmented flywheel on the single motor? Does it keep the two motors in sync or some other purpose do you think? Never seen that before....interesting.

• Like 1

Since I took my Swiss electric to a show and some old fart person who was running the test track decided it looked better with a pantograph laying flat on the roof and broke rather than in an upright springy position, shame he never admitted he caught it, it just did it all by itself. The said panto never returned to rest as it should. So I bit the bullit and went inside to see what had happened. First impression was, oh sh*t what a lot of wiring! But I took off the offending panto motor and re-set the rubber band drive and now it is working properly.

To think some people are saying there is a lot of wiring in the Heljan W&M railbus!

post-6766-0-66028200-1333554208.jpg

post-6766-0-13956200-1333554212.jpg

post-6766-0-31979800-1333554219.jpg

post-6766-0-93015200-1333554222.jpg

post-6766-0-68951600-1333554229.jpg

post-6766-0-14124600-1333554237.jpg

post-6766-0-45457700-1333554205.jpg

Sorry to hear that Brian, people are so uncaring at time, shame that he didnt fess up.

What a piece of kit though, looks really well made, what a lot of wiring!!!

ATVB

CME

Brian, to add a question why is the segmented flywheel on the single motor? Does it keep the two motors in sync or some other purpose do you think? Never seen that before....interesting.

I never noticed that whilst I had it apart :jester: I see there are a couple of spare terminals so I wonder if they are using standard electronics for the steamers as well and that black and white hatching is read by something to determine the rpm and electronically adjust the steam sound/smoke chuff? Can't see it doing anything on this model but it might just be a standard motor in all locos.

I have put a bit of weathering on it now so I can't send it back if it breaks again!

Forgot to say David there is sound in there somewhere as standard as well as DCC.

Edited by brian daniels

• RMweb Gold

Do you think MTH could be nagged into making a fully sound fitted, lit and wipers and auto couplings working class 31 before Christmas?

Forgot to add.....for £300 :no:

Ask Dapol they will do you one for £250 lol :declare:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Ask Dapol they will do you one for £250 lol :declare:

You know......I would love to buy all my O gauge stock from Dapol........I think the spectre of a local (or even UK) manufacturer diving into the 7mm market with realisticaly priced items as opposed to "oh well not any other choice I guess I had better buy" choice, is a revelation. I seriously doubt this is the start of a price war, just a manufacturer seeing a gap in the market and willing to exploit it at a fair price.

More power to Dapol's elbow I say!

So Dapol.......how about that Class 31 next please......I'll have two straight away!

• Like 1

You know......I would love to buy all my O gauge stock from Dapol........I think the spectre of a local (or even UK) manufacturer diving into the 7mm market with realisticaly priced items as opposed to "oh well not any other choice I guess I had better buy" choice, is a revelation. I seriously doubt this is the start of a price war, just a manufacturer seeing a gap in the market and willing to exploit it at a fair price.

More power to Dapol's elbow I say!

So Dapol.......how about that Class 31 next please......I'll have two straight away!

I believe that we must think on it like this, times are challenging and whilst Dapol may not go head to head (thank goodness as we dont need anymore 'duplication') yet they are competing for 'scarce resources' or in other words our 'cash'......

• RMweb Gold

I believe that we must think on it like this, times are challenging and whilst Dapol may not go head to head (thank goodness as we dont need anymore 'duplication') yet they are competing for 'scarce resources' or in other words our 'cash'......

I dont know how they do some of their 4mm stuff for the price let alone their new 7mm offerings but good luck to them I hope they do fill some gaps and at sensible prices to..... and come to that duplications at sensible prices if they bring new blood into 7mm.....

Sorry to gatecrash your thread Brian

• RMweb Premium

Talking of which......yes sorry Brian.

My own modelling here has stalled temporarily I am afraid, I have the 108 sitting on the bench ready to have my home made power bogie fitted to the floor plate, the sides are ready for handles and details to be fitted. The 37 is finished but the 47 is sitting awaiting a sound chip decision. As is the 08, that needs painting and detailing and a chip too......along with the 20......wow so much to do when I think about it, might give me something to do in retirement :O

• RMweb Premium

Brian

A couple of quick questions/requests:

Where did you get your wagon/coach label clips? (as on your MTH LMS BG). I seem to remember you mentioning them before but can't find the reference now.

Also by any chance have you got a photo of the underside of S94135 (the Oxford CCT) that shows the 'pear shaped' brake adjuster and the bracket/lever that is in the centre line of the brake rigging (i.e. the missing bits from the JLTRT BR CCT kit).

Thanks in advance.

Hi Brian,

Outstanding modeling skills you have! I have a question that you or another O scale modller may be able to help me with. I am working in 4mm but would like to find a 7mm template for the BR double arrow logo. I have no drawing skills either free hand or with cad so that is out.

What I would like to do with it is somehow cut it out of tin and use it on a sign for my station. Which I guess leaves me with another question, how do cut out metal parts? Snips? and then flatten it out again?

Thanks,

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Tom, if your wishing for a shiney metal finish on the AoI* logo why not use a sheet of chrome paper from a card shop, glue it back to back and cut it out with scissors, much easier than metal snips and probably more accurate!

*Arrows of Indecision :sarcastichand:

If I was doing that Tom I would use 7mm double arrow put onto a piece of brass and cut round it with a piercing saw.

Okay I thought about brass as well but didn't know. Is a piercing saw anything like a coping saw?

Tom, if your wishing for a shiney metal finish on the AoI* logo why not use a sheet of chrome paper from a card shop, glue it back to back and cut it out with scissors, much easier than metal snips and probably more accurate!

*Arrows of Indecision :sarcastichand:

Good idea, also like the definition.

Tom