Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Looking at that model, I CANNOT UNDERSTAND anyone having wanted to do one.

And they COULD have done Falcon too: better looking, and would have worked out of the box. That thing looks like a horror and seems to build like one. :nono:

I've been trying, for curiosities sake, to find out what the piece of body mounted equipment is that fits in the (model) holes forward of the engine access doors but behind the air grilles towards the nose end.

It is visible on most pictures of Claytons that I've seen but I'm not sure it was fitted to all ?

Andy

Hello Andy,

is it the square hole in this photo?

post-8920-0-35341400-1336135980.jpg

Just about above the second support stanchion for the conduit? If that's it it's one of two things, emergency engine shut off, or the control for the fire extinguishers.

Brian will let us know for sure.

OzzyO.

Brian will let us know for sure.

OzzyO.

Well if you insist Ozzyo :mosking:

If I have got your request right Andy it's a water gauge and is included in the kit as a lost wax casting. Claytons were not built with this and by the looks of it 8598 that I am doing did not get it, so I will have to fill the holes.

post-6766-0-42560500-1336151766.jpg

Hi Brian,

As always I admire your speed of work, ingenuity and perseverance.....

BTW my better half has Jason Donovan on TV (Life Stories) with Pete Waterman weeping over 'too many broken hearts' and JD, perhaps he should have paid a bit more attention to the Clayton and then it wouldnt make you (and the rest of us) weep!! :laugh:

I hope that you didnt breath in that resin dust.

My better half has just asked why, if it aint 'fit for purpose' of 'a satisfactory quality' and 'free from defects', dont more of us return such kits for replacement/repair/refund - she has a point and one which is difficult to argue with!

Such a shame, that a product of this price point and - perceived - quality misses the mark - defeat from the jaws of victory?

Hope it comes good Brian... :yes: .

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Took the Clayton for it's first run this weekend. It worked fine :locomotive: apart from the screw on wheels wanting to unscrew themselves :nono: After a bit of loctight on them all was fine. I took a video clip of it today as proof. Must admit I was nicely surprised that it pulled 33 wagons ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37eUY4nIBXo&list=UUXGIxY_z3Y5_oQlvYp7gqaw&index=1&feature=plcp

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

33 wagons....not bad going at all! And you sneaked a warflat with LR on the end, good job it wasn't carrying a scorpion :mosking: . I am suprised our miniature drivers don't go on strike over working conditions looking at the state of the track, seems no matter how careful we are laying the stuff, from thier point of view it must be like riding a bucking bronco!

I am a bit suprised by the problems with accessing the body fixing screws etc, almost like JLTRT have never built the finished kit before :nono: .

Oh and the copper tape tip.....I am not so sure I would have thought about it until I saw the same problem with hiding the cables on a forum as well......and no I have non in stock either, might be worth keeping an eye out for some though.

Well David it is a test track and it's doing exactly that isn't it! I know what you mean though it does look rough from on board your own train.

I have now modified the bogie fixing so instead of the nut on the bogie pivot being in the hood and requiring the bogies to be fitted first I have turned the pivot upside down so the bogie can now go on after the body has been screwed to the chassis. I have also added the 4th pick- up :declare: whilst I had it all apart. To be honest it ran fine with 3 axles picking up just like an 0-6-0 really but the more the merrier.

Someone at JLTRT has put a couple together, I wonder what they thought of it?

Still looks like someone with eyesight problems designed it. :no:

Brian, how did you get the extended shots of it from the side/above? Just walked round after it? The camera was very still......and where is the test track?

Here's some copper foil tape: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COPPER-FOIL-TAPE-DOLLS-HOUSE-LIGHTING-6MM-WIDE-/360195355000?pt=UK_Dolls_House_Miniatures&hash=item53dd50f178

Loads more too.

Be interesting to see your build Richard, do what I did or learn from my mistakes and make a better job!

Jeff, I use a Canon G10 to video the trains which I just followed around, handheld. I keep thinking about getting a proper digital camera as the picture cameras with a video function don't keep the model in focus as you follow it they just pre-focus once and that's it so you have to try and keep everthing at a set distance.

The test track is the Hurley Groups track that gets put up at Bourne End. The Guys in the background are building a new one for the club.

Done just about all I can do on this now until I get the few remaining castings to finish it, life guards, windy wipers, res &control air pipes, compressor front, underframe fillers, cooker, thinks that's about it.

Looks the part.

post-6766-0-11541300-1336664191.jpg

Front bufferbeam still needs control air and res pipe on left hand side.

post-6766-0-26867200-1336664199.jpg

Two conduits added from cab to bufferbeam. To remove the body you have to pull these out (only a push fit) and slide the body off the front pipe as well.

post-6766-0-33749600-1336664203.jpg

Sppedo cable added.

post-6766-0-38874300-1336664207.jpg

Don't know what these two air pipes do?

post-6766-0-04199700-1336664211.jpg

Cab interior one end still needs a cooker.

post-6766-0-59616600-1336664215.jpg

Other end interior.

post-6766-0-84456700-1336664219.jpg

Bogie pivot now has the retaining screw at the bottom.

Just about make out the extra pick-up I managed to fit next to the gearbox.

post-6766-0-52701400-1336664186.jpg

post-6766-0-04697800-1336664229.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 6

PM'd you Brian on the "usual" subject. :scratchhead:

I hate to say it, but detailed, it looks quite ...........good.

Still think it's a dog of a design, mind............

Pete, it weighs 827g. I suppose it pulls near enough what the prototype did. There's room in the hoods for some weight if needed.

Jeff, I will mention the way it's been thought out to Pete Waterman tomorrow! And I will go down on bended knee to ask for a Falcon :mail:

Brian, just like to say that for "us up North" the Clayton looks spectacularly nice.

It reminds me of trips into Glasgow Central in the "Golden Age of Trains". There used to be a little swarm of them on Central Station Bridge... until one day they all disappeared.

To my child mind, I thought they would magically reappear, but I was to be disappointed. They were gone for ever.

• Like 1

The only one I ever saw was being used as a re-railing excercise on Eastfield depot on my first ever visit, June 1974. I never saw another.......

Jeff I had word with Pete at Reading about Falcon and I was left with impression that he was warming to the idea :sungum: not so sure about Laurie though.Keep up the pressure. Got to admit Kesrat in 7mm would be awsome and I am sure people would want one as it just looks the dogs dangly's.

How would I contact Pete? by letter? Ho Ho! a begging letter with a difference........

Did you get my PM Brian.......?

You can contact him through JLTRTs web site, They have a facebook page and railnuts is now on face book.

Must admit I wouldnt mind one as well

Edited by steve fay

• RMweb Premium

Railnts would be the most direct route, Pete is always popping in and out there.........remind him of the FNA flask wagon he said he wanted to build too, I've given up and am presently waiting on a Bachman 4mm thats been scanned and will hopefully be printed sometime this year, well I have been waiting 6 months already!

Pete tends to blow hot and cold on this, he once told me to "watch this space.........".

Now Laurie, who seems to have control, has told me no chance at least twice.

I reckon my scratch build will be the only way.

I just hope I can make enough parts available for others to follow my build, since quite a few people want one.

Railnts would be the most direct route, Pete is always popping in and out there.........remind him of the FNA flask wagon he said he wanted to build too, I've given up and am presently waiting on a Bachman 4mm thats been scanned and will hopefully be printed sometime this year, well I have been waiting 6 months already!

He did mention about an FNA in our conversation so he hasn't forgot about it.