Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

I don't know they tell you one thing then do another :nono:

I like the banner that it's about to go into production, I certainly hope not!

Sounds like Brian has spotted some faults on his sample. Why don't Heljan do the same as Backman and show the CAD images before they start cutting metal for the dies?

I think that we all know if they have cut the dies that's it full stop.

OzzyO.

Guest jim s-w

Wouldn't make a difference Ozzy.

They showed cad of the 86 and ALL of the errors were pointed out with info and yet they didnt change a single thing.

Cheers

Jim

Wouldn't make a difference Ozzy.

They showed cad of the 86 and ALL of the errors were pointed out with info and yet they didnt change a single thing.

Cheers

Jim

Hello Jim,

it's no good showing the CAD images after you have cut the metal and that's what that sound like. Or they don't give a f###.

OzzyO.

• Like 1

Hi Richard

I will put the pictures and a youtube video up of the Western as soon as I can after Telford, no doubt on the Monday.

I am afraid I do not know about the release of the Flask wagon but we are still waiting for the Prestwin. JLTRT do seem to take a while to come through recently.

Thanks Brian

I like the green 31, but if I were to get a green one I would prefer the small yellow panel

Yes I forgot about the Prestwin as its been so long since it was announced, maybe we will get the flask wagon at Telford next year !

Richard

My opinion is that overall Heljan do a pretty decent job and it gives us modellers the chance to improve the basic model to as high a standard as we can all achieve - as Brian constantly shows. I think they are almost suggesting that by firstly giving you the opportunity to number the loco to your own choice. I love that approach & think Dapol have made a mistake in adding numbers to their 08 for example. I am going to attempt flush glazing my Heljan engines at some point to get them more realistic still. OK there have been some errors but I guess with models there always will be unless you are paying really big money. I too wish the Mk1's were slightly better shaped (that was an real opportunity missed I agree) but overall I can put up with it - mainly because I havn't got he time to build my own rake - there are loads more opportunities for them too with a BG,GUV which sound as if they maybe appearing at Telford, classes 25, 40, 45/46 for starters could be other future projects, also say a centre headcode 37 which shouldn't be too difficult to do after the split boxer. I'm sure a class 50 would work too even though there was no green version. I like the way they seem to be consulting Brian & via others on here to help improve models before final production but they do need to take the advice on board agreed. Anyway roll on Telford and lets see - some more modern freight wagons would be nice 70's/80's etc.

+1

To be honest CME (and it's not aimed at you specifically) there are clearly others but is there any need to litter Brian's excellent thread with personal opinions about your dislike of Heljan. ?

I've now moved the relevant posts into a separate topic. I may rename that one in due course.

• 4 weeks later...

I meant I hope that Heljan don't do the same with the western as they did with the 86s, ie not listen to feedback and end up producing a poorer model than they could have done.

The 86 model had nothing to do with not taking on board internet forum feedback. I know why it is like it is but that's for the company to worry about not us.

Anyway lets get back to my workbench at last.

A few weeks back I received a Skytrex PCA to do up as an Albright and Wilson tank as I had a set of transfers and paint for it from Appleby.

post-6766-0-16653000-1347545128.jpg

I contacted Pete Harvey who has done some etches to upgrade this model. I may also put them on my previous PCA's.

This is a basic Skytrex PCA I did earlier.

post-6766-0-70860500-1347545235.jpg

This is how far i have got so far.

post-6766-0-93802000-1347545217.jpg

And the two together.

post-6766-0-53186300-1347545243.jpg

I have added new buffers from Appleby. The airpipe is from JLTRT and the lamp bracket from Slaters.

post-6766-0-18583100-1347545222.jpg

Before and after buffers.

post-6766-0-36870100-1347545277_thumb.jpg

New discharge pipe is from Appleby.

post-6766-0-97826000-1347545227.jpg

The brake discs are on the etch from Pete Harvey.

post-6766-0-48483000-1347545247.jpg

The most important change is the new etched walkway and grab handle supports that Pete Harvey has done.

post-6766-0-08633400-1347545281.jpg

Original walkway.

post-6766-0-52135700-1347545232.jpg

There a couple of other tweaks I am contemplating before it gets painted.

At Telford I also bought an IGA Cargowaggon flat from Appleby! It's a big bu**er.

post-6766-0-43997300-1347545125.jpg

I now have a lot of little bits to add to the sides and the stanchions. It's going to look quite impressive when it's painted.

post-6766-0-10959700-1347545214.jpg

post-6766-0-61732900-1347545269.jpg

post-6766-0-72902100-1347545272.jpg

I also got hold of 2 more of the etched Warwells from Hobby Holidays and the bogies and buffers from Appleby so I can get on with these later. Just in-case I get bord I picked up a Peter Clark 3H Thumper kit which I am now gathering up a few detailing parts for.

With these new additions in the house something had to go so I sold a rake of 10 maroon MkI coaches that I have not run for a while.

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 7

Good to see you back, I have been having withdrawal symptoms.

The Skytrex stuff is getting better all the time and IMHO now forms an excellent basis for some additional detailing should you wish, roll on the Dapol wagon range.

I honestly don't know how you do it, I also bought a couple of "boxes" from Telford last weekend and they are still sitting in the garage unopened, I am really hoping this will all change with my retirement in November as I have booked the first Monday of my retirement as a day at the workbench in an effort to start as I would like to continue.

Excellent modelling as usual with the added benefit of information on the detailing parts.

Thanks for a great read every morning.

regards

Stewart

Thankfully Stewart I have got this week off work so am able to get my head down and the soldering iron on :locomotive:

The Skytrex PCA isn't bad but it is too tall. I think it needs the bottom milling off the tank moulding. If you look at the prototype picture you can see the V of the tank goes down to the solebar but on the model they have the rivet strip going the full length of the barrel between the V and solebar. Pete Harvey did do a new rivet strip, full length though, that could be cut if I could remove the bottom 2mm of the tank moulding.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian,

If you have fitted working lights to your diesels, which supplier(s) have you used and for what product(s)?

thank you, regards, Graham Beare

Brian uses 12V Miniatronics incandescent bulbs which come from US unless you can find a UK stockist.

Just a word of caution, I ordered some a couple of months ago from the US (via a well known auction site) when they arrived I had to pay import duty on them. That was OK but what I wasn't very impressed with was the £8.00 (yes EIGHT Pounds) processing fee the Post Office charged me for the pleasure so it maybe worth finding a supplier who can/will pay the duty when ordering.

Brian uses 12V Miniatronics incandescent bulbs which come from US unless you can find a UK stockist.

Just a word of caution, I ordered some a couple of months ago from the US (via a well known auction site) when they arrived I had to pay import duty on them. That was OK but what I wasn't very impressed with was the £8.00 (yes EIGHT Pounds) processing fee the Post Office charged me for the pleasure so it maybe worth finding a supplier who can/will pay the duty when ordering.

Hi Brian

Have a look at Layouts4u:

www.layouts4u.net

They do a range of surface mount leds wired ready for 12 volts: for example - Prewired 12 volt DC SMD Chip LED - White - £1.00. They are small - about 2mm in diameter with no rectangular body as with lighthouse leds. They are also very bright - I tested mine with a 9 volt battery - and so you may need an additional resistor to bring them down to a more realistic brightness level.

Regards.

• RMweb Premium

Brian, nice to see you at normal speed again (lightening fast!). This year I had to miss Telford and theres me thinking I had bargaining power to broker a domestic trade off, I should have known better.

I like the Skytrex stuff, great value if a little rough around the egdes, I bought a full brake Newspapers last year there as they had them on a very special offer (about half price) and I must say that even upon opening it at home the initial view I had when at the show had not changed, a nice coach that just needsa bit of fettling for a great looking addition to my entirely (so far) imaginary layout.

I am also pleased to hear that Applebey were they again and producing nice kits.

@Tim, its not the supplier who pays the charges, its the importer.....in this case you! Its our revenue men who want the dosh and the stateside supplier only deals with US customs. I have alwats found it a bit of a lottery importing from the US, sometimes it goes straight through without a charge (usually when its sent via DHL or an independant carrier) but if the stuff comes via the USPS then our lads get in on the act this end as well :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

@Tim, its not the supplier who pays the charges, its the importer.....in this case you! Its our revenue men who want the dosh and the stateside supplier only deals with US customs. I have alwats found it a bit of a lottery importing from the US, sometimes it goes straight through without a charge (usually when its sent via DHL or an independant carrier) but if the stuff comes via the USPS then our lads get in on the act this end as well :scratchhead:

Yes, you're right but it was a shock on a few quids worth of bulbs and one to be aware of if anyone does put an order in - they're good bulbs though :sungum:

I have now finished putting the IGA together with all the bits that came in the kit. I now have to add a few little handrails and maybe a vac pipe as an early picture I have of one of these shows it as a vac blow through, see below. I have changed the supplied airpipe to a JLTRT one as this is left handed as per the prototype. John Talbot is re-doing his continental wagon couplings at the moment but I hope to have them in a week or two.

post-6766-0-96313400-1347644731.jpg

post-6766-0-24473600-1347644736.jpg

post-6766-0-19975900-1347644740.jpg

post-6766-0-55574300-1347644744.jpg

post-6766-0-91360100-1347645413.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Brian,

That's looking good! I too picked up one of these from John last week. Unfortunately my soldering iron has died -_- (after 11years of good service) so I'm waiting for arrival of the replacement before I can start.

I don't know if you've noticed but there are various rings and handrails on the end panels. I haven't managed to find a close up pic of the end on the net to pinpoint their positioning though. Have you got any head-on close up pics please?

Cheers

Tom

Edited by tomstaf

Hi Brian

the thing that stands out to me is the thickness of the floor on the real thing and the thinness of the floor on the model. I dont suppose theres much you can do about it now though?

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jim s-w

Ah so the other IGA John had was for you Tom, well done, we will have to run ours together some time to see if we can make a train of them. Recently I bought a couple of the MTH Swiss gondolas and a Swiss 482 electric, well now I have a stake wagon to go with them, ok I know they are slightly different scales.

The Appleby IGA is modelled on the version without the turnover bolsters and therefore has a thin deck. The ones with the turnover bolsters have a deck that is as thick as a plank, as Jim noticed. A couple of pictures below to show this. Also a picture of the end for Tom. I made the rings and added a couple of handles just got decide if I add the small tiedown lugs on the ends. One thing that is missing from the kit is a european wagon label clip so i will have a bash at one of those now.

post-6766-0-10483600-1347729914.jpg

post-6766-0-87183300-1347728092.jpg

post-6766-0-84956700-1347728088.jpg

Thin Deck

post-6766-0-70491500-1347728085.jpg

Thick Deck

post-6766-0-40369300-1347728082.jpg

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 2