Michael Edge's workbench

• RMweb Premium

Bearing in mind how many of these I have built now, it's fairly easy. If you do the beading half etched it's really difficult to keep the tender sides flat and since they never bend where they should do flat is better than wrinkly. The tender tank is made from .012" shim steel, in 4mm scale I would have used .010", the hardest part of the job is forming the flare at the top. I built locos routinely for many years like this and had to cut the coupling rods from steel as well, plain ones were fairly easy, for fluted rods I used to mill the flute in a steel plate first and then saw it out. Etching has made some jobs much quicker and others much more accurate but this has been n interesting comparison.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The Bullant replacement went well, that one is working in one I'm building. I assembled the all compensated one but haven't figured out a way of driving it yet.

482780121_replacementBullanttest.jpg.cf4c037a641c5fc474a3f22e30529568.jpg

I found a supply of .5 module gears and this 99p Chinese motor provides more than enough power for this steel weight.

1824236215_compensatedframe.jpg.070c9730e27f8965c406a68f1d4c0e58.jpg

This is as far as I got with the compensated frame (it was actually drawn for the 7mm version - as yet unbuilt), in P4 there would be room for chain drive with a narrow gearbox but that would need wheels for 1/8th axles (Gibson do some of these). Alternatively I thought it might work as an A1A with two small motors and gearboxes. We do have some of these etches but no loco etches at the moment and none in the order which is arriving next week.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The Bullant replacement went well, that one is working in one I'm building. I assembled the all compensated one but haven't figured out a way of driving it yet.

482780121_replacementBullanttest.jpg.cf4c037a641c5fc474a3f22e30529568.jpg

I found a supply of .5 module gears and this 99p Chinese motor provides more than enough power for this steel weight.

1824236215_compensatedframe.jpg.070c9730e27f8965c406a68f1d4c0e58.jpg

This is as far as I got with the compensated frame (it was actually drawn for the 7mm version - as yet unbuilt), in P4 there would be room for chain drive with a narrow gearbox but that would need wheels for 1/8th axles (Gibson do some of these). Alternatively I thought it might work as an A1A with two small motors and gearboxes. We do have some of these etches but no loco etches at the moment and none in the order which is arriving next week.

Mike when you get a full set in let me know i will have one off you. 1/8 axles will be fine & i am sure i can cobble together a chain drive of some sort. I think high level do a narrow gearbox suitable for this kind of drive. Mine will be in P4 so it will have all the room from p4 spacers. That said an a1a set up would be another good set up with 2 small branchline's boxes. The bonnets would hide them nicely.

That looks really excellent Mike.

Those bars on the window are pretty full on, is each one 8 seperate bits, all bent and soldered to shape, or is it an etch?

Also are those Ultrascale wheels? They look very high quality, I like the indented axle ends. 

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Back to Hecate yesterday.

IMG_0516.jpg.5a11cfbae56d8abc44dd11f7710e40da.jpg

The straightness of that long tank-side joint to the footplate is impressive, all the more so as you don't seem to be using a baseplate bolted to the footplate to keep the tanks straight. 

How did you get it so straight? Did you start and one end, or in the middle? Did you do a bit and then leave time for cooling to prevent buckling?   

9 hours ago, Jack P said:

Also are those Ultrascale wheels? They look very high quality, I like the indented axle ends. 

They look like Gibsons (Ultrascale centres are usually grey). Nice work Mike, though Hecate was a strange beast. 

Adam

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Adam said:

They look like Gibsons (Ultrascale centres are usually grey). Nice work Mike, though Hecate was a strange beast. 

Adam

I've not seen ultrascales in the flesh, I assumed from the indented axle ends they were them. It occurs to me now that Mike possibly added the indentations. 

• RMweb Premium

To answer the questions above:

Yes the window bars are each 8 pieces of .3mm n/s wire bent and threaded through etched holes. I did the vertical ones first, the horizontal ones over them.

They are Gibson wheels, I don't normally use Ultrascale which are very good but the very devil to keep on the axles. I had to shorten the axles a bit (quite common with Gibsons) so since they were on the lathe I drilled centres in them.

Keeping the tank sides straight is very much a matter of heat management, there's no baseplate in this etch, it's no being designed as a kit for anyone else to build. First the sides are tacked in place by the cab front which was already placed centrally, next small tacks at the bunker end and halfway along the tank, checking with verniers that the distance from the footplate edge is constant. The bunker front was also used as a gauge from time to time, last piece fitted was the tank front, again with small tack joints, this locates in a half etch rebate on the tank sides. A ruler along the whole length then to check that it was all straight and the tack joints gradually and separately joined up, checking all the time. Next piece in was the either the bunker front or back, I can't remember which, cab back a lot later.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Keeping the tank sides straight is very much a matter of heat management, there's no baseplate in this etch, it's no being designed as a kit for anyone else to build. First the sides are tacked in place by the cab front which was already placed centrally, next small tacks at the bunker end and halfway along the tank, checking with verniers that the distance from the footplate edge is constant. The bunker front was also used as a gauge from time to time, last piece fitted was the tank front, again with small tack joints, this locates in a half etch rebate on the tank sides. A ruler along the whole length then to check that it was all straight and the tack joints gradually and separately joined up, checking all the time. Next piece in was the either the bunker front or back, I can't remember which, cab back a lot later.

Thanks, Mike. But doesn't tacking first, and then joining up the seams lead to buckling, because the metal can't stretch out (being held by the next tack along?) The answer is obviously  "no", given the straightness of what you've produced, but presumably that's down to "heat management" - pausing after each length to let the expansion settle down?  

Edited by Daddyman

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I notice you're using Markits basic crankpins

They are what I always use, the "deluxe" ones with huge loose bushes are an engineering nonsense. A full size crankpin is a plain steel rod usually about 4" diameter or so, 1mm is fairly close to this, the coupling rods do have bushes but they are pressed in to them for a bearing surface.

6 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Thanks, Mike. But doesn't tacking first, and then joining up the seams lead to buckling, because the metal can't stretch out (being held by the next tack along?) The answer is obviously  "no", given the straightness of what you've produced, but presumably that's down to "heat management" - pausing after each length to let the expansion settle down?  

I think you've just answered your own question - that's what I mean by heat management.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

They are fairly readily available on Ebay - I think they may be used in some Hornby locos but I'm not very familiar with rtr stuff. There are no screw holes in the end so it's just soldered on to the gearbox. I've used a few of these motors now, they run quite fast but smooth and quiet, generally need a fairly high gear ratio, this one is a 60:1 Roadrunner+.

• Like 2

On 05/04/2021 at 16:48, Michael Edge said:

They are fairly readily available on Ebay - I think they may be used in some Hornby locos but I'm not very familiar with rtr stuff. There are no screw holes in the end so it's just soldered on to the gearbox. I've used a few of these motors now, they run quite fast but smooth and quiet, generally need a fairly high gear ratio, this one is a 60:1 Roadrunner+.

Pleased to see this - I have a couple of these motors bought a while ago from China and you have given me the confidence to use them. 

• RMweb Gold

Surprisingly, since I follow at least two other threads of yours, I had not found this one until now.

As a non-, or very limited, builder myself and having just worked all the way through it, one can't help to be impressed by both the variety and quality, plus the volume, of what you produce.

I shall now follow avidly!

Tony