G.W.R P22 / BR(W) Herring ballast hopper.

As some of you may be aware my holy grail search has been for a number of years to be able to find enough information to have a 4mm kit produced for the P22 ballast hopper.

I have had some assistance in the past which I appreciated but have never been able to find any definitive information to produce a correctly detailed kit.

About two years ago I finally acquired the information I needed.

I was also very fortunate that Justin Newitt of Rumney Models fame had joined the Bristol S4 group, and when showed the information that had been finally acquired agreed to take the project on.

This kit has taken approx. two years to bring to fruition.

A few days ago he sent me the attached pictures of the 4mm wagon test build and last night brought the test build along to our meeting.

P22.1.jpg.5369b5f70225c01320c39ee398ed60d7.jpg

P22.2.jpg.eff6f207cf2fa63981a9c526c86ee743.jpg

P22.3.jpg.48310310a75408b8278e8b1d7e1ea581.jpg

To say that I am over the moon is an understatement.

This kit can be built to 00 / EM / P4 standards and is designed with a fully sprung chassis.

Both Justin and I are hoping to launch this kit at Scaleforum this September from the Rumney Models stand.

The first P22's were built in 1945 and as far as I can see from Paul Bartlett's wagon site lasted in use up to 1984.

Although these wagons were primarily a G.W.R / BR(W) design there are photos of rakes of them on the Somerset & Dorset. There is also evidence in Paul Bartlett's archive of them further afield in their latter years.

We estimate that the cost of this kit will be somewhere around the £35 mark for each wagon.

It would be useful to have some indication of the number of people who would be interested in buying a kit at Scaleforum or soon after indicate their interest by e-mailing me at ga007d9065@blueyonder.co.uk  to enable us to gauge how many to order in the initial batch.

Many thanks

Gordon A

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Gordon

Saw this at Justin's a couple of weeks ago - wasn't completed then - I have to say the build quality is truly inspiring. And yes I still hate talent! Excellent stuff from Mr Newitt!

Mike

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You haven'seen them, they aren't up to Adam's standard by a long chalk!!

Yes, I would agree with you on that, but the thing is that it takes less time to build a Cambrian kit (or it should) than a complex, etched kit such as this new production, totally excellent though it is.

It's all a matter of prioritising modelling time, when not so much of this commodity is available.

I have in mind to make one or two improvements to the Cambrian offering in due course, provided I can supplement those I already have!