Pressfix questions

I got my pressfix and methfix transfer sheets through late last week but before attempting and possibly making a right mess of the situation i thought i would find out a bit more.

first off, my intention --> http://www.jimmcgeow...oco%20photo.jpg

I beleive i have to score round the decal and remove the tissue, but then how do i get the decal off the backing sheet? do i peal it like a sticker? or does it come off with the tissue.

This begs the question -

A.) which side is the front and which is the back, i.e which is the sticky side, the side on the paper or the side facing the tissue.

B.) Are the transfers mirrored right to left (rather than left to right) as per the methfix sheet. I.e British Railways is written right to left rather than left to write when sat on the backing sheet

Also i seem to need a lining which has a white outer and a red inner but the transfers all look red and black not red and white while on the backing sheet? quite confusing! Added to this there is a section which appears red/clear/red or similar so i am not sure which ones i need (BR & LNWR sheet 22)

I cant seem to find an ideal side end bit (like this --> "]") for the vertical lining, as i have a choice of 2cm or 3 and my loco tank is just under 3 and therefore i will need to use the smaller curved ends and build the whole box with the stright lining and the curved corners - can i cut to size?

Once placed can i move the transfer, just concious that drawing a box on the side of the loco is going to be very hard without being able to "slide" and place the transfers.

• RMweb Gold

Hi A_S,

I did a small illustrated write-up on Press-fix lining once which might help a bit: http://www.gwr.org.uk/prolining.html

Other than that, for what it's worth a few additional comments as I remember it (it's been a while):

1. Peel off the outmost layer with eg the tip of a scalpel, leaving the thicker backing "card" behind.

2. The glossy sticky side facing outwards on the transfer sheet is in fact the back of the transfer when mounted on the stock. When you peel the transfer off you will find that the front is not sticky.

3. Not sure about this one, not being a BR/LNWR modeller.

4. Yes cutting to size is what most people do I think (see eg the link above)

5. In principle, pressfix cannot be moved once stuck on. In practice I find it is possible to adjust the transfer a little by pressing a softnosed object hard down and moving slightly, but it takes a bit of practice and should not be overdone as it may not then stick properly.

EDITED TO CLARIFY

Pressfix transfers are mirrored.

There is a thin thickness card with the transfers on and a cover sheet.

Remove the cover sheet and the sticky side will face you. Score around the numbers/lining etc with a sharp knife, no need to cut through the whole backing card, then carefully insert the knife at a corner and a layer will be able to be peeled off with the transfer attached.

Turn the layer over so the sticky side is to the loco. You can just see the transfer through the film so position as best you can. When reasonably happy very slightly moisten the film to see the transfer better, move as required and when happy with the location press down.

Dip a brush in water and keep stroking the film until it comes off of its own accord.

Lightly wash the transfer with water to remove any surplus stickyness. Using the cover sheet place it over the transfer and rub with a finger nail to make it even more secure.

Varnish as required.

Thanks Guys, that tutorial looks great and both explinations are giving me a picture of what i need to do. However, still got one question - the tissue on the top is this the layer we are refering to scoring around or is there an intangable layer under the tissue, i.e between the transfer and the backing sheet?

Presfix and methfix transfers are identical in all respects except one: the adhesive on presfix is pressure sensitive and that on the methfix is activated by meths.

So for presfix you press the transfer on to the model and then remove the backing with water and for methfix you apply meths to the model and then when the softened adhesive sticks you remove the backing with water.

Methfix are my preferred transfer as you have greater positioning control.

Thanks Guys, that tutorial looks great and both explinations are giving me a picture of what i need to do. However, still got one question - the tissue on the top is this the layer we are refering to scoring around or is there an intangable layer under the tissue, i.e between the transfer and the backing sheet?

The sheet will have writing on the back and the cover sheet on the front, remove the cover sheet by just peeling it off the sticky transfers. Then score around the transfers (being careful not to stick to them!) then lift the thin layer which includes the sticky transfer. This thin layer and transfer are then flipped over so the sticky attaches the transfer to the body side.

I hope that has explained it in better detail for you.

Thanks, giving it a go but its very very hard to position the lining next to each other through the layer on top.... why they only sell the lining in press fix beats me -> difficult and over complex seems to come to mind - and expensive for what you are getting!

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

do i take off ALL the tissue before attempting to score out the decal? i am not sure? as has been done here -->

http://www.gwr.org.u.../painting11.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

I must admit I haven't done much lining but I find it's a good idea to cut through just before the end of the lining transfer (leaving about half a millimetre you don't use) so you know where the ends will butt up to.

I take off the whole of the tissue and then replace it so the transfer I'm cutting out is visible but most of the rest of the sheet is protected so the stickyness is not affected. As the tissue has the shiny side towards the sticky transfer you can keep peeling it off and replacing it without it bothering the transfers too much. When I've finished with the sheet for that day I replace the tissue so it recovers the whole transfer sheet, that's why I don't cut the tissue at all - it gives you a good protective layer when the sheet is not in use.

It'll take a bit of practice and you may find other methods you prefer in the future but I've quite enjoyed the limited amount of lining I've done with Pressfix transfers over the years - both the method and the results.

• 10 months later...

One thing that I do, is to leave the straight line a bit over length with the corners so you don't end up with a small gap. If you use a sharp scalpel blade with a curve you can nick through the lining and remove the overlap.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

I take off the whole of the tissue and then replace it so the transfer I'm cutting out is visible but most of the rest of the sheet is protected so the stickyness is not affected.

Why did I not think of that! - genius B)

UPDATE:

Just done three boiler bands in my lunchbreak - works a treat, didn't get the sheet stuck to my left palm once :dance_mini:

Archived