Priory Road - North East Essex in BR days

Izzy

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2024 at 22:17, Izzy said:

Having soldered the front windows in place I then added the coal bars to the rear ones and fitted them. This was done by cutting the bars (36thou PB wire) over length, placing them in position on the drawing with d/s tape and soldering the window to them. Then trimming to size before also soldering into position. As the windows rotated fairly easily I tack soldered them to ensure they were vertical before final fixing. 

RMwebJ6938.jpg.d069c9d6984cfea852e5f4869b966ce3.jpg

Bob

Now that is just showing off, not many 4mm modellers could do something that good. 🙂

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, yaxxbarl said:

Bob,

On the rear windows/spectacle plates, how did you cut the rings for them? Was it from a piece of suitably sized tube?

Cheers,

John

No John, I made them on the lathe out of 1/8” stock when I did all the turnings recently. Kept the outside diameter and drilled them out 2.5mm. It all started out when I made the cab windows in the J15 oversize by mistake - they are the same size - and so got the idea to use inserts and decided to do the same with the J69/1. I guess rings from 1/8” brass tube might be possible to cut. 

I am hoping to knock up a simple punch from either 1/8” brass or steel to produce the ‘glass’ eventually.

Bob

• Like 2

How did you get on with stainless steel Westinghouse, Bob? They were a bit of an experiment and I was sort of disappointed when they came back from the printers. Having said that, it looks the part on your loco, along with all the other fittings. Nice work!

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Yorkshire Square said:

How did you get on with stainless steel Westinghouse, Bob? They were a bit of an experiment and I was sort of disappointed when they came back from the printers. Having said that, it looks the part on your loco, along with all the other fittings. Nice work!

Thanks Tony. Compared with the 3D plastic versions and the home-made one I eventually made up for the N7/3 when they all fell apart in my hands I think they are quite nice. They do certainly look the part I feel. Here's a quick comp shot with the N7/3.

RMwebJ6957.jpg.9a1976654a08f811ccc98fad11882c05.jpg

I don't know if it would be possible to print them in a slightly softer material because trying to drill 0.3mm to take the pipes was near impossible. I managed to make a dimple to help locate and that was all. But it might be whatever is used. However I do find they take normal soft soldering with no issue so actually adding the pipes - some PB wire - wasn't the problem I expected and a good strong joint resulted.  TBH it's nice such parts exist at all, so thanks.

Bob

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

With regard to the stay-alive aspect and 'just' using a single 470uf tantalum I thought I would try and make a video of the result. It's not that brilliant so you'll have to forgive the shaky and less than wonderful result but I hope it does - just - show the amount of run-on that exists. It's a crude way of doing it but I couldn't come up with any other that actually showed it clearly enough. 

Obviously more uf would always be better but it works good enough for me.

Bob

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Izzy said:

With regard to the stay-alive aspect and 'just' using a single 470uf tantalum I thought I would try and make a video of the result. It's not that brilliant so you'll have to forgive the shaky and less than wonderful result but I hope it does - just - show the amount of run-on that exists. It's a crude way of doing it but I couldn't come up with any other that actually showed it clearly enough. 

Obviously more uf would always be better but it works good enough for me.

Bob

Brilliant Bob, great results from a single 470 tantalum. Very encouraging re. retro fitting some of my smallest locos with a stay alive.

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Stay-Alive.... or not!

Those who believe there is no such thing as coincidence might find the following quite funny considering only yesterday I posted on Doncaster Green's thread about not fitting stay-alives to plastic bodied locos because of issues with odd 16v tantalums.....   I wasn't quite so amused....

Today I went to run the Hunslet 05. I would put it on the track and then after a brief interlude my DCC system would say there was a short. ????  After playing this game about half a dozen times I realised there had to be something wrong with it since with any other loco all was fine. Hm.

Since locos don't just develop shorts for no reason I came to the conclusion that something on the electrical side had failed. The motor, the decoder, or the stay-alive. Something told me the time it took to register as a short tended to point to the stay-alive, but you never know. 

Nothing looked amiss once the body was off, but the chassis alone still gave a short when placed on the track confirming my initial diagnosis rather than a breakdown in insulation between the body and chassis. Working backwards from how it was put together it seemed the best way to track down the problem was to disconnect things in reverse order, stay-alive, decoder etc. A process of elimination. Once the stay-alive was removed it all worked. Okay, well that was helpful in that it wasn't the decoder or motor, but, oh bother....

So then I stripped the stay-alive down to the individual parts to test them. Zener, resistor, schottky diode, plus the three 220uf tantalums. I had plenty of bits to make another to replace it but I wanted to first find out why it had apparently failed and what had gone wrong. 

With my basic old Maplins multimeter I tested all the bits. Another of the D case Tantalums had gone belly up it turned out. Not with a bang as before thankfully in this case but with a wimper just becoming open so current passed straight through. So not a disaster, just annoying

Since I had obtained some flat 470uf tantalums which I had used in the J69 and J15 rather than re-build the stay-alive with more 220uf D case ones I chose to produce another using one the advantage being it would be slightly smaller in size in width and height, and 470uf had proved enough. I do hope this doesn't become a regular chore and more of these D case 220uf tantalums fail. That would become really tiresome. 

Bob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Do you know what track voltage your dcc system gives?

If it is around 16V or maybe more, could it be an idea to try to reduce it to approx. 12V?

Safer for the capacitors. The zener still limits the voltage on the capacitors to the max. value.

Jan

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jan W said:

Do you know what track voltage your dcc system gives?

If it is around 16V or maybe more, could it be an idea to try to reduce it to approx. 12V?

Safer for the capacitors. The zener still limits the voltage on the capacitors to the max. value.

Jan

Thanks for the thought Jan. It's 14.9v. As it's a Prodigy PA2 system sadly there are no adjustments I can make. It's a very limited/closed system - expensive for what it is today where the Z21 would be my choice - but as I only want it for loco control I stick with it because the 3.5 amp output gives plenty of overhead for powering the hacked servos etc. through a voltage regulator (plus I have a wi-fi handset).  

Bob

18 hours ago, Izzy said:

Thanks for the thought Jan. It's 14.9v. As it's a Prodigy PA2 system sadly there are no adjustments I can make. It's a very limited/closed system - expensive for what it is today where the Z21 would be my choice - but as I only want it for loco control I stick with it because the 3.5 amp output gives plenty of overhead for powering the hacked servos etc. through a voltage regulator (plus I have a wi-fi handset).  

You could drop the track voltage with a string of diodes.   One pair of back-to-back diodes in one of the track feed wires will drop about 0.7v.  So, three pairs would drop things to 14.9-2.1=12.8volts.   Fast rectifier diodes, and 4A or 5A rated given your DCC system's output.  

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

You could drop the track voltage with a string of diodes.   One pair of back-to-back diodes in one of the track feed wires will drop about 0.7v.  So, three pairs would drop things to 14.9-2.1=12.8volts.   Fast rectifier diodes, and 4A or 5A rated given your DCC system's output.  

I had thought about doing something like that, Nick Mitchell suggested reducing the track voltage when the first 16v tantalum went bang some time ago, but I wondered if it would have any side-effect on decoder performance in respect of motor control so didn't take it any further. 

Thanks for highlighting how I might achieve it. Would you have any code numbers for suitable diodes Nigel?  I presume you mean fast recovery diodes. I've had a look around but as usual the more I look the more confused I get ....

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

I had thought about doing something like that, Nick Mitchell suggested reducing the track voltage when the first 16v tantalum went bang some time ago, but I wondered if it would have any side-effect on decoder performance in respect of motor control so didn't take it any further. 

Thanks for highlighting how I might achieve it. Would you have any code numbers for suitable diodes Nigel?  I presume you mean fast recovery diodes. I've had a look around but as usual the more I look the more confused I get ....

Bob

UF5404  is readily available (including Rapid on the industrial estates in Colchester if they still have a local sales counter).   

Officially they're 3A rated, but should be OK for the use you're giving them - only going to see full current briefly in a short circuit situation.  

I'd also recommend a power district current limiter to reduce the track maximum current;  I run most of my stuff with a MERG cut out built for 0.75A at the track.   We run Burntisland (4mm scale) with them set to 1.5A (there's over half a dozen of them dividing up sections of the layout).     There are some fairly cheap ready to use types,  I think the NCE one is fairly cheap - Kevin at Coastal DCC in Ipswich could say what's available, and their current options.  

- Nigel

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Today I spent most of it trying to reduce the track voltage the Prodigy PA2 puts out. As suggested by @Nigelcliffe I obtained some UF5404 diodes with which to do this. Ultimately this has not been successful. 

As diodes generally drop 0.7v I got the idea to use 4 pairs to drop 2.8v so reducing the 14.9v at the track to 12.1v. The plan was to have two pairs on each feed to make it easier to arrange. Here I hit the first problem. The voltage only reduced down to 13.5v. So it seems these diodes are quite efficient and only drop 0.35v. This then meant it needed 8 pairs to get down to that 12.1v. This took some arranging, 4 pairs on each feed in the space I had available since the base station sits in an A4 size really useful box on the floor under a layout. 

Once I had finally arranged this and tested the output which did sit at 12.1v I tried the system with my test track and two layouts. The test track is just a plain oval on a piece of hardboard, useful for testing newly acquired locos or running stuff in. I measured 12.1v at the track and the loco used ran, but didn't seem to have any power. Stop the loco from moving and it could barely turn the wheels even at maximum speed. This seemed weird and far from normal.

Connecting up to the first layout - Priory Road - the track voltage varied depending if the accessory bus to the voltage regulator was switched on or off. If off it was 11.8v but if on, so the signals and hacked servos could be used, this dropped to 10.5v. Locos again ran but not like normal, while the points struggled to move. With the second layout it was worse. The track power was just 9.5v and points wouldn't throw properly, like the locos they seemed to lack power. 

At this point I felt the diode chains were badly affecting the base station output and so then removed them. Although in theory adding them should cause no harm I worried it had. Thankfully with it all reverted back to standard it all worked again as it should. Track power was back to 14.9v and all points threw correctly.

So, with a Prodigy system at least, this way of reducing track voltage doesn't work for whatever reason that might be, and I will just have to either accept and allow for the track voltage, or change DCC system to one where the track voltage can be set to choice, as with the Roco Z21. 

Bob

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A Z21

After thinking through all the aspects with regard to the recent posts concerning DCC track power levels, stay-alives with 16v tantalums, and the quite small decoders used in 2mm I decided to take advantage of the special price my nearest local Railway Model Shop sells the Roco Z21 at and paid them a visit and obtained one. This is Scograil and they share a outlet in Ipswich with Coastal DCC and Orwell Models. My Gaugemaster/MRC Prodigy system has thus been withdrawn from use and put into reserve status for the immediate future. It’s served me well for 14 years.

I had the Z21 up and running in about 15mins and is being used with a cheap dedicated 6.5” android smartphone, a Redmi A1, as the throttle. This was obtained last year from Currys for £59 and so this new combination has cost about the same as I originally paid for the basic Prodigy PA2 in 2010. Whether I will invest in a Wlanmaus handset as an alternative with rotary control is moot. Apparently it can’t share the same loco database, which is a significant drawback. But it’s an option to consider.

So the track power is now set at 12v. I also intend to set the Circuit breaker trip at the best level for 2mm, if I can work out what that should be. At the moment I’m spending the time entering all the locos into the database. This is taking a while but having photos and description to select which one to use is I find very helpful compared to having to remember each locos DCC address. Another advantage of using a phone/pad as the throttle is in having a description of every function assigned to each loco for ease of selection. My iphone and ipad will get the layout/loco databases as both a backup and as alternative throttles when needed. These are easily transferred between devices over wi-fi.

Bob

13 hours ago, Izzy said:

A Z21

After thinking through all the aspects with regard to the recent posts concerning DCC track power levels, stay-alives with 16v tantalums, and the quite small decoders used in 2mm I decided to take advantage of the special price my nearest local Railway Model Shop sells the Roco Z21 at and paid them a visit and obtained one. This is Scograil and they share a outlet in Ipswich with Coastal DCC and Orwell Models. My Gaugemaster/MRC Prodigy system has thus been withdrawn from use and put into reserve status for the immediate future. It’s served me well for 14 years.

You could pull the Gaugemaster out of the store, connect the Prodigy track output to the "sniffer" port on the Z21, and thus use the Prodigy handsets for control knob control with the Z21 sending instructions to the track.

There are also ways to add a £20-ish control knob to Android Phones, if using the EngineDriver App for loco control.  That does require running JMRI on another computing device.    I'm not aware of the control knobs working with the Roco App.    

- Nigel

Edited by Nigelcliffe

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

You could pull the Gaugemaster out of the store, connect the Prodigy track output to the "sniffer" port on the Z21, and thus use the Prodigy handsets for control knob control with the Z21 sending instructions to the track.

Thanks Nigel, that sounds interesting, I did wonder if the handsets alone could connect this way rather than the whole system, which would mean yet another mains plug/supply which I wouldn't want. But the long term intention is probably to sell off all the PA2 bits anyway, the basic system, the wi-fi handset, the wi-fi adapter for tablet/phone, if there are any takers. 

At the moment I have just discovered the speed curve adjustment response for the throttle slider  in the Z21 app which is proving interesting to use. 

Bob

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Thanks Nigel, that sounds interesting, I did wonder if the handsets alone could connect this way rather than the whole system, which would mean yet another mains plug/supply which I wouldn't want. .....

No, its whole Prodigy system for the "sniffer" - just an option which is cheaper and available now.   

There are a lot of handsets that could connect to the Z21, but not Prodigy ones.  Handset list would include:  Lenz, ZTC (with some wiring faff on connectors),  Roco, Digitrax, Uhlenbrock, Fleischmann,  and others.   

• Thanks 1