Locos in odd/rare corners of the network.

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

A question inspired by 26007's current stay at Bodmin, allegedly a first for the class in Cornwall, but which might lead to wider discussion.

If class 27's were once based at Gloucester, in the late 60's & early 70's, would they have made it to Bristol TM or Cardiff? Would they have made it to Bath Green Park via Mangotsfield? How far west would they have been seen? Taunton? Exeter? Swansea?

Edited by rodent279

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I don't remember any being based at Gloucester but Saltley men took them that far occasionally in the 1960s. 

Ah, you may be right there. I said based, because I've seen photos of 27's at Gloucester, but of course that doesn't mean they were based there.

Even so, could Saltley crews have taken them as far as Bristol, Cardiff, or along the Midland to Bath GP?

• RMweb Gold

They were regulars from the East Midlands into Washwood Heath in the late 1960s. They usually came off there and went back with coal empties.

I saw them new on test at Snow Hill on occasions in earlier years. BRCW also liked to sneak stuff out on the banks in the Black Country to check it didn't blow up when the power was full on.

• RMweb Premium

This thread reminded me of an older one but couldn't think what it was - luckily, someone added to that thread today in the Prototype Discussions section:

Don't know if it contains information for the OP but may be of more general interest

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

E26014 noted in blue livery (no double arrow logo recorded) at Soho electric depot on 9/8/67. I haven't a clue why it was there! The only other 'odd' place I saw these was Crewe, in transit to/from overhaul. 

Re the 27s referred to above, until transferred away in 1969/70 these worked into the Birmingham area quite frequently, often in pairs (I have several records of pairs of these on the Bescot/Perry Barr line in 1967/68 including D5389 recorded as bsyp, and also near Washwood Heath yard). They were odd men out compared with the volume of 24s and 25s. I never saw any at Gloucester, but have also seen photos if them there. The 27s seemed quite ubiquitous in the 60s on the MML between Leicester and St Pancras (my records from visiting Toton and Derby in the same period show none seen there on those visits). D5379-5415 were allocated between Leicester Division and Cricklewood Division  from new until moving to Scotland in 69/70, and 5370-5378 also appeared from Thornaby in 1966.  

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

That's a fascinating thread, thanks for posting! I always did like those Swindon Intercity units, class 123/4, don't think I ever rode in one though. Shame none were preserved.

I had in my head that some 27's were based at Gloucester, but that must have been from seeing images of them there.

So it's entirely possible that 27's would have been seen alongside Hymeks, and presumably Warships and Westerns, on a regular basis?

Edited by rodent279

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rodent279 said:

So it's entirely possible that 27's would have been seen alongside Hymeks, and presumably Warships and Westerns, on a regular basis?

We had a regular Hymek working into Washwood Heath from Gloucester at the same time as pairs of 27s were working trains in from the Leicester area.

• Thanks 1

I should add that on those Derby/Toton trips it appears class 27s were noted on every one - but from the train passing Saltley in each direction. There is a great set of class 27 photos on Flickr taken at Saltley in the mid/late 60s (KDH archive) - including one of one of the two tone green pair. 

Edited by MidlandRed

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 20:31, keefer said:

This thread reminded me of an older one but couldn't think what it was - luckily, someone added to that thread today in the Prototype Discussions section:

Don't know if it contains information for the OP but may be of more general interest

I took this photograph.

It was taken near the former Pengam Junction on the eastern approaches to Cardiff, on a Thursday afternoon during October, 1976

At that time the Swindon "Inter City" units were eking out their last days on the Western Region and their main raison d'etre at the time, were Cardiff - Cheltenham workings, and occasional sorties to Bristol and up the North & West.

Brian Rolley

Edited by br2975
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

D5377 & D5390 near pass Gloucester, Horton Road depot during May 1968.

Photographer unknown

I was a spotter in South Wales at this time, and have never heard of any Cl.26 or Cl.27 working further west than Gloucester, and into the Principality .

That's not to say none ever reached Severn Tunnel Junction, which, due to operating strictures was something of a boundary point for many years.

There is an exception to every rule, and in this case it's 26038, purchased for preservation by the former Valley Lines supremo, the late Tom Clift and which was stored initially at Cardiff Cathays C&W then when that closed, it was moved to Canton

5377,5390-Gloucester-xx0568-1.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 18/09/2019 at 08:08, rodent279 said:

A question inspired by 26007's current stay at Bodmin, allegedly a first for the class in Cornwall, but which might lead to wider discussion.

If class 27's were once based at Gloucester, in the late 60's & early 70's, would they have made it to Bristol TM or Cardiff? Would they have made it to Bath Green Park via Mangotsfield? How far west would they have been seen? Taunton? Exeter? Swansea?

You talk about a Class 26 in Cornwall but what about the two ex GWR panniers that went up to the wilds of Scotland lol.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, br2975 said:

D5377 & D5390 near pass Gloucester, Horton Road depot during May 1968.

Photographer unknown

I was a spotter in South Wales at this time, and have never heard of any Cl.26 or Cl.27 working further west than Gloucester, and into the Principality .

That's not to say none ever reached Severn Tunnel Junction, which, due to operating strictures was something of a boundary point for many years.

There is an exception to every rule, and in this case it's 26038, purchased for preservation by the former Valley Lines supremo, the late Tom Clift and which was stored initially at Cardiff Cathays C&W then when that closed, it was moved to Canton

5377,5390-Gloucester-xx0568-1.jpg

Note the steam locos on the extreme left

21 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Note the steam locos on the extreme left

Withdrawn Southern steam staged at Gloucester whilst en-route from Salisbury to South Wales scrapyards, next stop Severn Tunnel Junction, from where they would be dispersed accordingly.