Dapol Class 68

james26

When the locomotives were first introduced, the handrails on the nose were in a different place and have subsequently been moved.

I can't remember why.  Dapol's model reflects this.

The model has been improved also, as stated above with wheel inserts and a better p.c.b.

• Like 2

“Early service” has nothing to do with the PCB or disc brakes. 

Purely, it means the models either represent “early” or “late/current” prototypes in-service. 

68001-015 were delivered with smaller fuel tanks and the buffer handle bars only had one screw. These are classed as the “early service” by Dapol. 68016-034 were delivered with larger fuel tanks and three point handle bars (they also had various modifications internally which I have previously stated on class 68 threads on here and the Digest). 

Thus, if you are looking to model “as in first service” - you want the early service. If you want current, you want the late service. 

DCC Supplies also has the small and large - plus one bolt and three bolt bars - in stock if you have an early service release - say 68001 exclusive and wish to reflect current use.

Dapols attention to detail with the class 68 is by far the most fanatical I have seen - just brilliant! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 159220 said:

68001-015 were delivered with smaller fuel tanks and the buffer handle bars only had one screw. These are classed as the “early service” by Dapol. 68016-034 were delivered with larger fuel tanks and three point handle bars (they also had various modifications internally which I have previously stated on class 68 threads on here and the Digest). 

When I read that, I didn’t believe it so I had to check...

A4C100C7-3AEF-4D28-AB13-88EA4024AEB7.jpeg.a1b4e5845a6dcc77bd362f67ed4c74f0.jpeg51816D9B-CBF5-4B7F-B7B9-6C42102BC11A.jpeg.9089e88fac5a7fbbec5c98c6ff987b19.jpeg

seriously thats insane detail!

• Agree 1

• 2 years later...

Just a quick note

I was lucky enough to win one of the official DRS 68s 68033 "The Poppy" in the DRS closed auction with a seal bid

Love the model, the numbering looks to have been printed on and is very neat, certainly doesn't look like a transfer its one of only six though

Good to support the British Legion and a nice addition to my fleet

20211212_183539.jpg

• Round of applause 3