Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Imaginary Locomotives

post-6220-0-26436500-1477938997_thumb.jpg

A favourite for imaginary loco conversions, the pug bash. In this case an old Airfix one ( Black Plastic ) with the cab from a Airfix J94, rear frames extended slightly.

post-6220-0-51846600-1477938979_thumb.jpg

Also this long boiler type based vaguely on the Robert Stephenson & Co types built for the Australian railways, long boilers where popular in the UK in the early railway years some lingered on in industrial use.  This loco was built from a 3mm scale  4-6-0  static model, the same firm that made the GBL series of static 00 models last year.  For mine I sawed off the front of the  chassis and turned the boiler around, the white bits are patches from plasticard.  It remains static.

This picture shows it's size relative to an LMS 3F tank.

post-6220-0-71703000-1477938959_thumb.jpg

Edited by relaxinghobby
  • Like 5

This has given me a real idea...  All I need is an old Triang/Hornby M7 so that I can bash it into this little beastie that featured in the December 1947 issue of The Model Railway News:

post-30314-0-28718600-1478024923.jpg

Edited by Ken A.
  • Like 6

Something I've been rolling around in my head for a while (after seeing Matthew Cousins' photoshop)

The P2/1

attachicon.gifP2-1.jpg

II am no Locomotive Engr. - so with that disclaimer safely out of the way - the seemingly long boiler of the P2/1. set me wondering as to just how near to steam-production the water at the front end of the single-pass boiler would be?

:locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

II am no Locomotive Engr. - so with that disclaimer safely out of the way - the seemingly long boiler of the P2/1. set me wondering as to just how near to steam-production the water at the front end of the single-pass boiler would be?

:locomotive:

Good question, I have no idea, however the boiler is in fact not stretched in the photoshop :) , the original photo of 60505 is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:York_Locomotive_Yard_with_A2-2_Pacific_geograph-2827807-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

The only things I changed were adding the missing wheelset, moving the position of the cylinders (and the exhaust pipe from the cylinders to the smokebox) and the changes to the running plate.

The interesting aspect of the 2-10-0+0-10-2 model is that the builder really has not grasped the essence of the Beyer-Garratt concept.

If we assume an identical engine unit to the 9F on each set of frames - and it would make no sense to have anything smaller on a loco this size - then to fully exploit these engines in continuous steaming near twice the grate area of the 9F is required, inevitably mechanically fired. That grate would be built out to the full width permitted by the loading gauge, with a vast ashpan underneath nearly down to rail level. This is a key element of the design, exploiting the advantage that accrues from the grate draughting not being compromised by the ash in the ashpan or any frames or mechanism. The barrel of this boiler would be shorter and larger in diameter, and untapered. 

I also suspect that Beyers would at least specify 2-8-2+2-8-2 in preference to the proposed layout, as one chassis is always running in reverse in the sense that coupled wheels are leading, and guidance of the fixed wheelbase element becomes rather important if any sort of speed is attained. Given how fleet the 9F was, the dynamics of a ten coupled leading arrangement might not make for easy riding shall we say.

I am intrigued by your 2-10-0+0-10-2 Riddles Garratt.  It shouldn't be too difficult to turn it into a 2-10-2+2-10-2 with a couple of Hornby 2 wheel trucks - this would solve the problem of the "driving wheels leading" problem that you mentioned and would produce something even more imposing.

• RMweb Gold

I am intrigued by your 2-10-0+0-10-2 Riddles Garratt.  It shouldn't be too difficult to turn it into a 2-10-2+2-10-2 with a couple of Hornby 2 wheel trucks - this would solve the problem of the "driving wheels leading" problem that you mentioned and would produce something even more imposing.

If you're going to do that, you might as well turn it into a 2-10-4+4-10-2 and make it even more imposing.

• RMweb Premium

If you're going to do that, you might as well turn it into a 2-10-4+4-10-2 and make it even more imposing.

Problem is to my eye at least is that the boiler is too 'skinny', a larger diameter and perhaps slightly shorter boiler would improve the appearance.

The eye is deceived by the very long smokebox. The superheater header cover - visible as the rectangular pad to the rear of the chimney - is on the smokebox. The boiler is exactly as on the Pepp A1 and A2, 17 foot barrel between tubeplates, and the steam production is 'adequate'.

• RMweb Premium

Something I've been rolling around in my head for a while (after seeing Matthew Cousins' photoshop)

The P2/1

attachicon.gifP2-1.jpg

I like that, but it does look a bit cramped at the front to me. How do the positions of the pony axle and cylinder compare with the original locos?

• RMweb Gold

Yes! V2 valve gear, I was racking my brains trying to think of a suitable donor but you are right, think I should look for some.

At the moment I am trying to figure out if I should move the step down in the running plate forward, remove the step entirely or leave as is and add a wheel arch to accommodate the forward drivers. The arches will have to be moved anyway but I am keen on not doing too much surgery as I'd like not to have to repaint it much.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That will all hinge on the cylinder if the body does not go low enough you will have to move the step down much further forward. I like your thinking though.

True, I can probably modify the cylinders to sit a bit lower than standard though, as I am swapping out the No.2001 type for the more traditional style.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well a new project of mine3 has involved modifying a Hornby A1 chassis and while waiting before I can start on the body of the loco I thought I would stick the Hornby body back on to see how it looked so I give you The Flying Baltic

theFlyingBaltic.jpg

I imagine an A1 with an extra set of trailing wheels in real life would have a bigger firebox, although not being an engineer I don't know how much of an advantage, if any, it would have. What do others think??

Gary

• Like 2

Well a new project of mine3 has involved modifying a Hornby A1 chassis and while waiting before I can start on the body of the loco I thought I would stick the Hornby body back on to see how it looked so I give you The Flying Baltic

theFlyingBaltic.jpg

I imagine an A1 with an extra set of trailing wheels in real life would have a bigger firebox, although not being an engineer I don't know how much of an advantage, if any, it would have. What do others think??

Gary

This would be better with outside bearings, not only for ease of access but having bearings under the firebox brings problems keeping ash out of the bearings. Look at pictures of wide firebox engines and I think they all have outside bearings. Engines with inside bearings under the firebox usually have narrow fireboxes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

While it may look better with outside bearings we shall unfortunately never know as the chassis is actually going to be used for an LBSCR L Class which had inside bearings. I would consider it if I were actually going to make this engine though. Especially after looking at the C9 that Corbs linked too.

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 1