Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Gold

I liked Dave's adaptation of the Bulleid 2-8-0 into a 2-10-0 and made another.

This time I used the boiler from the austerity pacific (larger smokebox) which was the right length to fit the rear driving wheels in, and took the flange off the centre drivers. The 2-10-0 also uses the same bogie tender and cab as the pacific.

post-898-0-04789200-1505747429_thumb.jpg

Food for thought: Q1 wheels and 9F wheels are not too far off size-wise.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 3

According to mr Giesel who made locomotives for a living,two sixcoupled groups be they Garrat or Mallet are less efficient adhesion-vise than a normal ten coupled.

Dare I say that an inside cylinder ten coupler with flanges on all wheels is up til now the most logical UK locomotive that was never built.

And it could have run everywhere within shrinking loading gauges and used less coal..

The very nice Bulleid Southern 2-10-0 can just get inside some places today but will have to be three-cylindered I think.

Oh, yes I think I know what you mean.

attachicon.gifbulleid-atlantic-1.jpg

Mr Bulleid had maybe made his Atlantic more like the Belgian Class 12

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RaZmbs2Uf8o/T58Rtce2r4I/AAAAAAAAMoY/r8ikKCrfBs4/s1600/SNCB+12.jpg

Inside cylinders by the way.

https://www.altaplana.be/_media/photos/la-douce/884479_263495363787090_349091688_o.jpg?w=1024&h=682&tok=df06f7

Edited by Niels

• RMweb Premium

Italian and very good 1904

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FS_Class_600

A compound too! Didn't some of T.W. Worsdell's two-cylinder compounds have steam chests and piston valves outside the frames, albeit worked from inside Joy gear? The Class J 4-2-2s and M 4-4-0s? All the moving parts decently tucked away out of sight though!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not sure what the Great Eastern and Central railway's livery would be in the 1950s had grouping and nationalisation not occurred, but here is how the heavy freight loco for the Liverpool/Whitemoor/Temple Mills freights might have looked after nationalisation but without the grouping...

attachicon.gif77-77.jpg

That would perhaps work better as a triple articulated with four wheel bogies (Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo) and just two pantographs on the centre section.

• RMweb Gold

19.jpg

The County Gate Malletts 'River Avon' and 'River Brue' (built by John De Frayssinet) are to my mind some of the best British Malletts, using enough of the style of the original L&B locos to make them blend in with the rest of the fleet, and enough of the true Mallett styling to make them articulate and work properly.

15.jpg

58.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

19.jpg

The County Gate Malletts 'River Avon' and 'River Brue' (built by John De Frayssinet) are to my mind some of the best British Malletts, using enough of the style of the original L&B locos to make them blend in with the rest of the fleet, and enough of the true Mallett styling to make them articulate and work properly.

15.jpg

58.jpg

There was a similar locomotive operated on the Bowaters paper mill railway at Sittingbourne. IIRC it is now on the Welshpool and llanfair.

• Like 1

That would perhaps work better as a triple articulated with four wheel bogies (Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo) and just two pantographs on the centre section.

Not so sure about that, but perhaps nine axles and a sliding centre bogie?

post-7495-0-08073400-1505768057_thumb.jpg

or a proper C0 C0 C0 articulated?

post-7495-0-81925200-1505768190_thumb.jpg

I think I like it with pantographs at the cab ends. 1500V DC don't forget - would just two pantographs be sufficient?

• RMweb Gold

There was a similar locomotive operated on the Bowaters paper mill railway at Sittingbourne. IIRC it is now on the Welshpool and llanfair.

That's "Monarch" which according to Wikipedia is a 'modified Meyer'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarch_(locomotive)

Not sure how it's classed as modified but both sets of cylinders are at the inner ends of the coupled wheel sets.

• RMweb Gold

That's "Monarch" which according to Wikipedia is a 'modified Meyer'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarch_(locomotive)

Not sure how it's classed as modified but both sets of cylinders are at the inner ends of the coupled wheel sets.

The Modified Meyer uses a circular firebox that does not project below the footplate, apparently this made 'Monarch' hard to get used to.

That's "Monarch" which according to Wikipedia is a 'modified Meyer'https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarch_(locomotive)

Surely Monarch is an 0-4-4-0 (because both wheelsets are connected to a single structure) whereas a Garratt is 0-4-0+0-4-0 because the bogies are fully independent of each other? IIRC a Fairlie is classed 0-4-4-0 for the same reason?

The position of the cylinders is irrelevant. The Pennsylvania duplexes illustrate the point. Various Meyers and Meyer-Kitsons have cylinders in front, behind or in any combination.

• Like 1

Yes, and much smaller in stature. I don't really like non-garratt garratts as they never look right.

Perhaps slightly more realistic (!) I should really get around to finishing this one....

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1fe2.jpeg

That's some model, that! Does it run?

I have some good news: my LNWR Mogul is taking shape and should be nearly done and ready for repainting! Expect to see some pictures, soon.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That's some model, that! Does it run?

I have some good news: my LNWR Mogul is taking shape and should be nearly done and ready for repainting! Expect to see some pictures, soon.

Not at the moment, the cylinders are only stuck on with black tack! I need to make up some proper mounts and sort out that expansion link.