Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much, Sir. Did I tell you about an LNWR Mogul I'm working on?

Yeah it looks good so far!

I think we should bring it back to something more humble. How about an air smoothed prairie? Bulleid's answer to the V2?

post-898-0-19913200-1505589688_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I reckon a Bulleid Atlantic is what you're really seeking.

Edit: P.S. There were two of them, intended to work the "Bournemouth Belle"

21B1 "Solent"

21B2 "New Forest"

You"d be amazed the number of people who've never heard of them.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 2

I rather like them.

I'm not very good at recognising different classes of steam locomotive but I have no trouble with these.

And I rather like the no-nonsense functional look...

So do I, in a perverse sort of way. They're so different from proper looking locos as designed by Dean and his predecessors.

Yeah it looks good so far!

I think we should bring it back to something more humble. How about an air smoothed prairie? Bulleid's answer to the V2?

attachicon.gifbulleid-prairie-1.jpg

Thanks, mate! Also, nice loco. That looks fantastic and smashing! It could've put Gresley's V2 to shame let alone give it a run for its money.

Edited by LNWR18901910
  • Like 1

Not sure what the Great Eastern and Central railway's livery would be in the 1950s had grouping and nationalisation not occurred, but here is how the heavy freight loco for the Liverpool/Whitemoor/Temple Mills freights might have looked after nationalisation but without the grouping...

post-7495-0-14350300-1505604100_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I reckon a Bulleid Atlantic is what you're really seeking.

Edit: P.S. There were two of them, intended to work the "Bournemouth Belle"

21B1 "Solent"

21B2 "New Forest"

You"d be amazed the number of people who've never heard of them.

Oh, yes I think I know what you mean.

post-898-0-45079800-1505605620_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Triplex? You'll have to ask the ganger's permission for that!

I fancy doing some more photoshops if anyone has any suggestions of things that might have been? It's easiest if I can use a model manufacturer's side-on view as a base.

An A2/2 using all front wheel drive and for god measure make it also as 4-8-0 please?

Edited by Niels

• RMweb Gold

An A2/2 using all front wheel drive and for god measure make it also as 4-8-0 please?

post-898-0-27280800-1505639080_thumb.jpg

I think you get the same issues with the narrow firebox, though. You probably end up with something like an enlarged K3 boiler.

• Like 7

attachicon.gifa2-2-4-8-0.jpg

I think you get the same issues with the narrow firebox, though. You probably end up with something like an enlarged K3 boiler.

Picture is stunning.

I am breathless

Can we see a Pacific versio also?

For the the most dramatic british locomotive that never were

put the cab forward like Chapelon

http://thierry.stora.free.fr/pics/dwg240_1.gif

https://camo.derpicdn.net/a64e809d5fe642c88b0fcaf8de7328f44d0a7d7c?url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.e-train.fr%2Falbum_mod%2Fupload%2Fgrandes%2F46cb68ffe998fe0bd27ed3972f9f1c83.jpg

Edited by Niels

...I fancy doing some more photoshops if anyone has any suggestions of things that might have been? It's easiest if I can use a model manufacturer's side-on view as a base.

A very handsome Hudson (4-6-4) and Berkshire (2-8-4) may be arranged from the Peppercorn A1 with a 50% growth in length of the (mechanically stoked) firebox.

• RMweb Gold

Would the cab without a drop-down frame work within the confines of a UK loading gauge, though? An A3 boiler is about 6'5" diameter.

I'll have a stab at a Pacific (in effect an A2/2 without divided drive) and possibly a Hudson or Berkshire. Something always looks strange to me about stretching Pacifics to 4 coupled axles, they always look odd for a British loco. I think possibly smaller diameter wheels could work at balancing out the extra length and make it look less likely to straighten out all the curves in the track.

The duplex is pure fantasy, of course.

The British 4-8-2s that were built have smaller coupled wheels than the pacifics they were developed from (1'7.5" drivers Vs 2'1.5"). Although they still didn't play nicely with points/curves and tended not to be used unless on heavy freights or pulling the armoured train.

(RHDR).

Edited by brack

The french 4-8-0 has nearly same boiler diameter and center over rail as the P2.

If chimney and dome had been lowered it could run UK.

Apart from cab width.

The driving wheelbase is same as P2 that gave problems and I do not know what the french did.

The two first wheelsets were driven and could have no lateral flexibility.

And the two last had an awfull lot of hot boiler and ash close by.

The undivided drive UK version can have plus minus an inch on second driving set and that is maybe enough.

Edited by Niels