Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Gold

Following on from my earlier post in this thread I now have a Hornby Hogwarts Castle but it is currently in the works for attention having failed its FTR exam. (Tender drawbar fault see this thread).

Given my current workload it is unlikely to be fixed in time to work the school special extra Kings X-Hogsmead working on 2nd September (Hogwart's students arrive on the first Sunday in September). The current stand-by, and favourite to work the train is getting a repaint back to LMS maroon for disguise purposes - 5690 Leander.  

(In reality the only other red liveried engine in my collection)

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

I've told you before.

Turn right at the junction, not left. :jester:

Keith

I seem to recall that joke dating at least as far back as the Navy Lark, referencing Oozlum Birds in that connection... “also a recurring joke in an episode of the BBC radio comedy, The Navy Lark[7] that Lt Commander Murray (Stephen Murray) did not know what the oozlum bird was. Sub Lieutenant Phillips (Leslie Phillips) suggested that when young, oozlum birds fly straight, and it is only when they turn left that the trouble starts.” Edited by rockershovel

I seem to recall that joke dating at least as far back as the Navy Lark, referencing Oozlum Birds in that connection... “also a recurring joke in an episode of the BBC radio comedy, The Navy Lark[7] that Lt Commander Murray (Stephen Murray) did not know what the oozlum bird was. Sub Lieutenant Phillips (Leslie Phillips) suggested that when young, oozlum birds fly straight, and it is only when they turn left that the trouble starts.”

Hi  It is actually the oozalum bird, it flies round in ever decreasing circles until...….

• RMweb Gold

Hi  It is actually the oozalum bird, it flies round in ever decreasing circles until...….

it meets the ooomegoolie bird, a species in which the males, due to the absence of legs, rarely land!

• RMweb Gold

Given Sub-Lt Philips' notable level of navigational skill, a bird that only flies in straight lines until it turns left, which is when the trouble starts, is very apt. 

'Left hand down a bit' 'Left hand down a bit it is, sir'.  

• RMweb Gold

Given Sub-Lt Philips' notable level of navigational skill, a bird that only flies in straight lines until it turns left, which is when the trouble starts, is very apt. 

'Left hand down a bit' 'Left hand down a bit it is, sir'.

'Left hand down a bit'

'Can't do that, sir. My left hand is down as far as it will go'

<Pause>

'Right hand up a bit'

'Left hand down a bit'

'Can't do that, sir. My left hand is down as far as it will go'

<Pause>

'Right hand up a bit'

"Everybody down!!!!!!!!!!"

<crash, bang, tinkle>

"Ship docked, Sir..."

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Gold

An essential part of my Sunday lunchtime for many years.  Father was a Merchant Navy officer, and if fitted perfectly with his opinion of the level of seamanship normal in the Royal Navy.  A chum who spent some years as a radio operator for Marconi on BP tankers agreed with him; he used to love confusing RN radio operators with morse too fast for them to read...

• Like 1

Tender Engines don't Shunt !!!

Hi Folks,

Here is my take upon a BR [non] Standard mallet type locomotive bashed out of two Dapol 9F's.

It needs a partial paint job before the fitting of the motion and then it needs steam pipes, lower fire box making, filling around the top of the fire box and boiler generally. The front dome is to be removed and another set of safety valves needs fitting when I can find them, on the floor somewhere!

The tender needs its front bogie and engine to tender coupling sorting out, the bogie may yet get some sort of equalising beam instead of its independent springs it currently sports if only to set it apart from the other axles.

I tried smoke deflectors but wasn't happy with the look of them and also thought of a rear truck but went with the extra driving axle because it looked more 9F like.

Based upon a 16 ton axle load over the drivers and 10 tons over the front truck it would be 122 tons in full working order with the tender having a 17 ton axle load holding 15 tons of coal and 9000 gallons of water would be 85 tons full working order giving a total all up weight of 207 tons, length over buffers 96' 9".

Tractive effort would be 57264 lb total divided as, 24940 lb front and 32324 lb rear at 85 % of 250 lb boiler pressure. The cylinders of the front engine would be 16.25" X 28" and the rear 18.5" X 28" thus providing the required tractive effort using 5' 3" wheels and attaining the required adhesion factor.

• Grate area 78 square feet.
  • Firebox heating surface 630 square feet.
  • Tubes heating surface 2830 square feet.
  • Superheater area 890 square feat.
  • Adhesion factors, 4.31 front and 4.43 rear.
  • Route availability 5

post-34584-0-24701300-1535829075_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-57556800-1535829110_thumb.jpg

I might do a light Garret from two Std class 4's next, alternatively I could get on with what I was supposed to be doing.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I would not have thought of a 10 wheeled tender, but it looks exactly proportionately right with this loco; well done.  I might have gone for oil firing, though, or at least mechanical stoking with a coal pusher, out of sympathy for the poor fireman!  

I'm impressed, though I worry about how much heat will get to the front of the boiler. Well done for extending the firebox - makes it more plausible and helps the proportions. Might I suggest it'd make a good candidate for the Tyne dock run with some hefty air pumps.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An essential part of my Sunday lunchtime for many years.  Father was a Merchant Navy officer, and if fitted perfectly with his opinion of the level of seamanship normal in the Royal Navy.  A chum who spent some years as a radio operator for Marconi on BP tankers agreed with him; he used to love confusing RN radio operators with morse too fast for them to read...

My late father-in-law was a RN wireless operator, he spent the war based at Scarborough listening to German Morse messages. He could tell which U boat it was by who the Kriegsmarine radio operator and how he tapped out his messages.

• Like 2

I'm impressed, though I worry about how much heat will get to the front of the boiler. Well done for extending the firebox - makes it more plausible and helps the proportions. Might I suggest it'd make a good candidate for the Tyne dock run with some hefty air pumps.

Hi Brack,

Thermal propagation didn't see to bother the Union Pacific 3900 Challengers which was partly the inspiration for my flight of fancy, so I don't see how it would have bothered a real one of what I have made up. Most steam production is from the crown sheet in any case and also there is a goodly sized combustion chamber to assist matters in that department, i might even fit some hollow stays to allow top air over the fire bed just for the fun of it.

It is only imaginary after all !

Gibbo.

• Like 2

I would not have thought of a 10 wheeled tender, but it looks exactly proportionately right with this loco; well done.  I might have gone for oil firing, though, or at least mechanical stoking with a coal pusher, out of sympathy for the poor fireman!  

Hello Johnster,

Berkley stoker fitted no need to worry about the fireman, in fact oil firing would have made life more difficult because there would have to be a lip on the end of the shovel.

The tender is of the centipede type with the four wheeled bogie at the front and the six wheels in the fixed frames.

Gibbo.

• Like 2

Based upon a 16 ton axle load over the drivers and 10 tons over the front truck it would be 122 tons in full working order

Sorry to say, you would never get it in that light. There's circa 18 tons to add for factors like the boiler frame, stoking machine, extended live and exhaust steam runs..

For appearance, if you can find or make a suitable item, you want either a larger d/c offering 50% greater aperture area than the 9F, or a triple chimney arrangement at 9F apertures.

• Like 1