Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

Doh!...yes I meant to say Baltic Tank.. Hmmm Atlantic...no no too silly.

If I recall the illistration showed it in Southern livery. I was thinking of a model as it was in 1960.

Hmm a 2-8-2...I will have to get the book out of the library again.

The 2-8-2 was a striking looking engine, or should that be would have been. One possible problem is that it has a very different front end, which is like an A4. Ok, it isn't, but it's more like an A4 than anything else I can think of...

I'm guessing they'd have both been painted in passenger green in 1960... [Although if you wanted to, you could probably justify painting the tank in mixed traffic black]

my go at an imaginary loco, bashed a few years back, from two class 91's, i built an 88, 88001, a double blunt ended class 91, used for freight and the occasional passenger train, trialed and ran as well as any Hornby class 91, sadly now bogie less as the motor was robbed to repair a 'proper' 91!

post-6736-0-77900800-1301603221_thumb.jpg

the same drive system as a 91, BR decided on a livery that would differenciate the loco from the intercity livery of the express 91 loco. the railfreight and intercity logos on the bodyside show the different sectors that sponsored the build.

post-6736-0-82990600-1301603310_thumb.jpg

buck eye fitted end, for trials on mk4 coaches.

as a model it ran fine, it makes me wonder what the real one would have been like?

over to you.

• Like 1

how about this, i made it back in early november 2010. its a shortened lima class 33 using the motorised bogie with a plasticard frame. and my own fictional livery.

the cut & shut join is down the left hand edge of the right hand door. the transfers are from an airfix red arrow gnat kit

post-9948-0-84692700-1301686488_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-03751300-1302156459_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-98654500-1302156470_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-22722100-1302156483_thumb.jpg

Here is a blast from the past. This model must be about 25 years old and is my first attempt at 4mm scratch building. The chassis is a Triang Nellie or Polly 0-4-0 , so the driven wheel base is 33 mm which comes out as 8ft 3 in in 4mm and the body was devised to fit around it and that big motor.

So it was based on a GWR Metro tank with out having any drawings or many dimensions to refer to and to my now slightly better educated eye the body looks a bit too narrow.

post-6220-0-87614100-1302156496_thumb.jpg

The body is all plasticard, packed out with lead, while the chimney and dome are from an old Jinty body with extra bits of plastic grafted into their middles to make them taller. There are some prototypes for that style of saddle tank but I can't remember what they are just now.

It's compared in the picture with the little GEM model of the Cambrian Railways / GWR little Sharpy branch line engine.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Imagine a might have been development of an earlier loco into a later and more powerful type.

I've got about 80% of a Ks LSWR Beattie express engine 2-4-0 kit. Could I develop it into a tank version, many older express loco's were

built into a tank version to extend their usefulness as branch line loco's as they became superceeded on the main line.

Or could I enlarge it into a bigger and more powerful mainline express loco in the French and Belgium tradition of 2-4-2s?

post-6220-0-82409100-1304875536_thumb.jpg

Black lines = K's model, green lines= tank 2-4-0 version, red = big 2-4-2 express version.

post-6220-0-67638000-1304875740_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-73103500-1304875758_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-74214700-1304875770_thumb.jpg

Some imagined locos in a more advanced state of materialising as models.

An Ertl Stepney will sit on a Bachmann starter diesel chassis to make a sort of heavy dock shunter of a Stroudley/Drummond heritage type.

Bigger than a Terrier but smaller than say a Midland 3F tank.

The 0-4-4 tank is an exercise in using an Under-Ground-Ernie chassis to make a nice and skinny old style back tank of the GNR Stirling style.

Body work is mocked up in cardboard and plastic tube, the green bit is U-G-E's floor.

The drive will be via the the Ernie's rear power bogie, the front 0-4-0 bit will just be a push along bit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

And in not too disimmilar vein, here's a picture of my latest monster...brace yourselves...

post-1656-0-88834100-1310042661_thumb.jpg

post-1656-0-79034200-1310042730_thumb.jpg

Currently in primer awaiting apple green paint. The question I posed myself was "what if Thompson had tried a 4-8-2 arrangement?" :lol:

I really like that, I shall definitely have to have a go at it myself, your sure thats undercoat primer and that you didn't just have some left over paint from the Tornado?

What would the proposed type of train this big loco would have been built to haul?

Medium sized driving wheels under a big boiler, looks like it would be for heavy mixed traffic or fast fitted goods with enough speed for mainline passenger dashes too?

Such a big 'un would have been useful in the forties, it would never be short of steam with such a large boiler, the LMS would covert it for their long drag between Skipton and Carlyle.

Well done, mechanical details please.

your sure thats undercoat primer and that you didn't just have some left over paint from the Tornado?

Shhh! No one else might notice! :lol:

What would the proposed type of train this big loco would have been built to haul?

Medium sized driving wheels under a big boiler, looks like it would be for heavy mixed traffic or fast fitted goods with enough speed for mainline passenger dashes too?

Yes, exactly. Mixed traffic. Fast fitted freight, equally at home on passenger services. Corridor tender only present because I haven't got a non corridor example to hand!

5ft 3in driving wheels - echoing the 9F - but arranged with a front bogie for smoothness of ride, and a similar idea with the rear cartazzi. The standard A2 boiler - 250lb - arranged with a variation on the Thompson front, gives a locomotive which has some of the good parts of Thompson's design ethics - high running plate for maintenance, two cylinders for ease of maintenance. The advantage of the 4-8-2 arrangement is increased adhesion, smaller driving wheels giving a better acceleration too.

All in a locomotive which is the same length as a Peppercorn A2. :)

I have always wondered why a 4-8-2 with smaller driving wheels wasn't tried. The only disadvantage of using the 9F chassis (and something I will change if I rebuild it) is the spacing requires the third set of drivers to stay flanged - the gap between the flanged wheels and the unflanged wheelset on either side is not equal.

It runs extremely well and looks the part I think. :) A "Thompson R1", to take the number 701 (next in Thompson's LNER number series after the W1).

Hello all,

now what about a de-streamlined A4?

OzzyO.

You mean an A3? :lol: (Which technically, is factual).

EDIT: Although if you mean with the cut down smokebox - Humorist in its smoke deflecting experiment days had that. Looked rather nifty. There must be a pic on the net somewhere.

Shhh! No one else might notice! :lol:

Yes, exactly. Mixed traffic. Fast fitted freight, equally at home on passenger services. Corridor tender only present because I haven't got a non corridor example to hand!

5ft 3in driving wheels - echoing the 9F - but arranged with a front bogie for smoothness of ride, and a similar idea with the rear cartazzi. The standard A2 boiler - 250lb - arranged with a variation on the Thompson front, gives a locomotive which has some of the good parts of Thompson's design ethics - high running plate for maintenance, two cylinders for ease of maintenance. The advantage of the 4-8-2 arrangement is increased adhesion, smaller driving wheels giving a better acceleration too.

All in a locomotive which is the same length as a Peppercorn A2. :)

I have always wondered why a 4-8-2 with smaller driving wheels wasn't tried. The only disadvantage of using the 9F chassis (and something I will change if I rebuild it) is the spacing requires the third set of drivers to stay flanged - the gap between the flanged wheels and the unflanged wheelset on either side is not equal.

It runs extremely well and looks the part I think. :) A "Thompson R1", to take the number 701 (next in Thompson's LNER number series after the W1).

But wouldn't a flangles third alxe have an advantage on shorter radius curves? Also perchance did you photograph the build at all?

Imagine a might have been development of an earlier loco into a later and more powerful type.

I've got about 80% of a Ks LSWR Beattie express engine 2-4-0 kit. Could I develop it into a tank version, many older express loco's were

built into a tank version to extend their usefulness as branch line loco's as they became superceeded on the main line.

Or could I enlarge it into a bigger and more powerful mainline express loco in the French and Belgium tradition of 2-4-2s?

post-6220-0-82409100-1304875536_thumb.jpg

Black lines = K's model, green lines= tank 2-4-0 version, red = big 2-4-2 express version.

I've redrawn these sketches as my last one was a bit confusing.

post-6220-0-30899000-1310236000_thumb.jpg

post-6220-0-14825000-1310236016_thumb.jpg

The driving wheelbase is 8 foot 3 inches.

I think the tank version would be best for a small layout, should the splashers be covered by the additional side tanks?

Guest Belgian

Don't forget that the last examples of the 6' 6" 2-4-0s of the "Vesuvius" class were built under the regime of W G Beattie and featured box-like continuous splashers that looked like side-tanks on a tender engine. If you postulated that your stretched Beatiie was produced by the younger Beattie you could feature these splashers. (See a picture of no. 316 in Locomotives of the LSWR par 1 by Don Bradley for the RCTS) fig 36, or this link to the South Western Circle, third picture down.

JE

Here is my attempt. It is meant to be a fictional BR class 94xxx, its not finished, it woun't be perfect, but here it is.

post-9274-0-59889100-1310214937_thumb.jpg

What is the donor model for your build or is it a scratch build. Can you give us information on the prototype as I don't know much about diesels.

I thought all the diesel shunters where outside cranked gronks or tiny privately owned industrial shunters?

What is the donor model for your build or is it a scratch build. Can you give us information on the prototype as I don't know much about diesels.

I thought all the diesel shunters where outside cranked gronks or tiny privately owned industrial shunters?

It's a Lima model, from their "British HO" range, although in fact it's based on a US prototype.

See the "locomotives" section on limabritishho.co.uk for more details.

The simple answer is it dosent have one, the model is from a series train sets produced by lima in the 80s, I (mean to) turn it into a fictiticious dock shunter, inspired by George dent.