Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

• RMweb Gold

I like the idea that there's one proposal for mixed traffic use* and one for goods! I suppose the reason that the GWR wouldn't require such locos would be that they would be a fairly expensive way to deal with Summer Saturdays and be under utilised for the rest of the year. The 2-8-0+0-8-2 might have been of use for the South Wales coal traffic through the Severn Tunnel though.

* Wheel diameter of the 4-6-0 + 0-6-4 looks more like a Hall than a Castle or a King.

It would be awesome to crowdfund and build something like that, if only to annoy GWR fans the world over!

It would be awesome to crowdfund and build something like that, if only to annoy GWR fans the world over!

I don't see why.  Largely standard mechanicals and a standard boiler.

Provided its painted in the right colours, it should be fine!  :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

I don't see why.  Largely standard mechanicals and a standard boiler.

Provided its painted in the right colours, it should be fine!  :sungum:

No point in a standard boiler as the "benefits" of narrow fireboxes and tapered boilers are wasted on a Garratt where a wide firebox and a large parallel boiler are ideal.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Actually, in way, those did run on the GWR, principally on the lines to Wales, and they looked like this:

05c7cd2d4b60bfce987e5277cc55424b.jpg

In 1951, we saw a 40 year old design introduced into service, whilst the railway which originated the basic dimensions and concept was testing other forms of traction...

• Like 2

A set of locomotives I just made as sprite drawings:

attachicon.gifBR Class 49 Locomotive Design.png

attachicon.gifLMS Mixed-Traffic Mogul.png

attachicon.gifGNR Express Passenger Ten-Wheeler.png

attachicon.gifGNR N3 0-6-2T.png

Let me know what you guys think - I might attempt some of them in model form.

I like the pretty drawings ...

...now what happens to the top half of the rear driver in the wide GN firebox  ?

dh